Reviews for Advent Calendar: A SatW Christmas Story
Kate Marley chapter 26 . 1/30
This was a wonderful action story with just the right amount of funny scenes (and by that, I mean: a helluva lot of funny scenes)! I’m sure all the glittery Christmas-related “weaponry” would have a mind-blowing effect if we could watch your story as an animated piece. :D I also liked the “Christmas around the world” tidbits and music recommendations a lot.

At first, I thought Samiland’s kidnapper was Austria (perhaps “I came to arrange [a white Christmas] myself” lead my astray) but—well, maybe it wasn’t even that far off the mark, given the villain’s former boss was Austrian-born. I also didn’t think the Arctic Council guessed correctly about Samiland’s whereabouts right away: In one of E.A. Poe’s stories about Dupin, I read that no one would look for a missing object at the exact place where it was supposed to be. That’s why I actually assumed Samiland was somewhere close to his workshop.

To me, the most memorable scene in your story was the plane crash and Iceland’s recklessness in particular (even if it might not have made a difference). I also enjoyed that little dialogue between Iceland and Sweden after the aurora ride at the end of ch. 23: “Well, look at the bright side […] There’s a decent chance you’ll die soon anyway.”

The scene in which Sister Finland manages to retrieve the battle axe from under the bed (I don’t know if I even WANT to know how it got there :D) and slices the toy soldiers was also great—how the sisters manage to defend the house against the attack in general. I also liked how Poland eventually finds his courage again and attacks the villain with his own car. (To be honest, I don’t think Poland would let anybody ride roughshod over him these days.)
leighroberts chapter 26 . 3/25/2015
Well done! I discovered the comic yesterday and binge-read it, and now just read your story straight through!
leighroberts chapter 8 . 3/25/2015
And America has a shocking instant of insight at the end of the chapter...
KingGustav chapter 26 . 12/10/2014
This is one of the best stories I've ever read. The historical and cultural subtexts were accurate and well-played, the story was magnificent, and every character was extremely well-developed. I will enjoy re-reading this again and again.
TheMasterOfEmocorns chapter 26 . 5/9/2014
This is very much the wrong season to read christmas stories, butI enjoyed it immersly! :)
Myrna Maeve chapter 24 . 6/26/2012
*epic fangirl squeeing* ROMANIA! *glomps* Bite me, you sexy NOT-SPARKLY vampire!
Myrna Maeve chapter 15 . 6/26/2012
*epic fangirl squeeing* ROMANIA! *glomps*
Myrna Maeve chapter 11 . 6/26/2012
Sealand's in SatW?
anotherbuskitten chapter 26 . 6/2/2012
This is amazing! Can you write something similar for this year? x
MekkaBabble chapter 26 . 12/25/2011
I had every intention to leave my smarmy review today, but did it yesterday instead.

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for adding this to my Christmas. It's something I made a point to integrate into my daily routine for a month and brought me joy each and every day. As a result, that's something I'm going to remember for a long, long time. This was an enormous treat.

Thanks for all your hard work on this story.

Thanks for making my commute home more pleasant.

Thanks for Nazi Germany's fitting punishment.

Thanks for teaching me so much more about Christmas than I would've known anyways.

Thanks for the laughs.

And thanks for all the fish (no way in Hell I'll say so long).

A very merry Christmas to you!
MekkaBabble chapter 25 . 12/24/2011
Oh my God... this is the first time in whoa that I've been able to read through a chapter without an addled brain and *still* have ample time left over to leave a thoughtful review.

But first- my sweet spot. I've always wanted to ride a reindeer myself (which will happen some day, I assure you). Just to be contrary, for my victory Christmas music, I put on my Chanukah CD (which is still a fitting, in a way).

Tomorrow most likely, I'm going to take the time this story truly deserves and give it an honest, proper, and mindful read because you, you my dear author, have evoked a lot of emotions in me with this- joy primarily. It's helped me forget a lot of my troubles and travails (which makes me sound much more dramatic than I really am) and I cannot thank you enough for so many laughs is such a short time span. This morning thinking, about Iceland's remarks regarding the small size of Nazi Germany's heart, my stomach dropped a little.

Third there's admiration. The fact that you managed to write a fun and adventurous Christmas story starring my favorite comic's main chacters (and Russia) really added a new and highly enjoyable facet to my holiday. From one writer to another, that you did it *every day* as an advent calendar and did it well makes me look up to you immensely.

All of this is probably premature and sounds more like a eulogy than a review of 'SatW saves Santa' becuase I know there's still one more chapter and you're not done yet! I know tomorrow's chapter too will likely to be just as fun but in the meantime, you can relax and kick back and give yourself that quiet congradulations because you did it.

How do I possibly give you a standing ovation from the other side of the country?
Archenic chapter 25 . 12/24/2011
FLUFFYES.

Merry Christmas to you, and thanks for such an awesome fic. :D
MekkaBabble chapter 24 . 12/23/2011
I haven't heard of that spider, so obviously I'll be looking it up when I'm not so damn tired. I've been saying it all along, but *this* is absolutely the best action sequence so far.

I wanted to give you more than the 'my favorite part is' review template, but we're going to be talking about this much, much more. What I found exceptionally fun about this chapter (beyond the not-so-subtle history and pop culture jokes relating to each country at hand) were Denmark's last minute heroics. It's about damn time he *finally* saved Norway!

This is absolutely phenominal and I still can't wrap my mind around how you managed this monster (in spite of you kindly and pantiently explaning it to me many, mant times). I anxiously await the conclusion and I'm uber-curious what you've got Netherlands up to...
MekkaBabble chapter 23 . 12/22/2011
There is so much inherent cleverness and research in this that I can't even begin to say. Right down to America being too young a country to remember what Winter Solistice was originally about.

What is a continuing source of amusement for me is just how damn believable you make all the fantasy elements. Zombie snowmen? Okay, no problem! Friendly holly bushes? Sure!

Riding the Northern Lights because everyone's feeling the Christmas Crunch? YEHAW!
Moriko no Hikari chapter 23 . 12/22/2011
...i wanna try that. *starry eyed* Racing through the sky, enveloped in light...
52 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »