Reviews for Phoenix Fire, or Hermione Granger and the EW
JanuaryLestrange chapter 32 . 11/26/2017
Awesome!,
JanuaryLestrange chapter 23 . 11/26/2017
Nice job threading the needle on the human vs magic abortion issue. And is it too much to hope that there might be an EW related use for the vial of dark mark?
Smerby chapter 37 . 9/27/2017
So this may be a bit unfair, but I suppose I'm leaving a review for the entire trilogy here after reading all three stories over the last week or two. I leave it, too, for the benefit of anyone coming straight to the reviews before delving into your series.
The first two, I will say, are really true to the spirit of Harry Potter. You had a solid writing style really akin to Rowling, with some novel takes I enjoyed. I think the Hermione/Krum angle was good and definitely real, imowe know Hermione snogged Krum from Ginny in the canon HBP, I don't at all think it's a stretch to think they had a sexual relationship and personally find any HG/SS not factoring in Hermione's dalliance with Viktor to be missing the mark. Good job here! The ending of the first one, with Snape's kiss with Hermione, was magnificent. Truly a wonderful taste in a slow simmering story, and left me flustered!
The second was still excellent, though I felt a little let down from how little closure we got to Hermione and Snape's tension. His telling her he told Voldemort he desired her was about as close as we came to any fruition. But still, kept me going.
So finally we come to the last "book"! I DID read it and somewhat enjoy it, but I thought that your voice, plot and overall tale got a little too lost. Having a theoretical 8th book be focused on destroying the elder wand was brilliant; having it to connect to the sympathetic magic brought in your very first chapter of your very first part of this story was even more inspired. But it seemed the elder wand plot just didn't have the punch that I expected; the actual destroying of the wand was such a small detail in a chapter that seemed so rush (following the ambush), I had to reread because I thought I had missed it.
Regardless, it could be argued that it was just a set up to keep the pace going for Snape and Hermione. Let it be said, too: I LOVE a slow burn. I have literally found myself drifting from fics once Snape and Hermione finally connect because the tension is some of my favorite parts. But here, I felt the tension was almost lost and buried before finally they get together in the very last chapter. It felt like you skipped the whole "continuing tension" part with them with a lot of small snippets of their interactions. At the time, I did enjoy how realistic it seemed for them to finally acknowledge their feelings... but I think that's what ended up getting me. They still ended up having the sympathetic magic be the "outting" of their love, which seemed to cut three fics worth of tension short. The last scene in particular, as much as it was desired to finally get that lemon, seemed a little "meh" after all that. I think I feel this way because them running into the Muggle world, him gyrating to her at a club? All of it seemed suddenly, horrendously OOC after you did such a great job keeping so many people IC.
And that's sort of my last bit: characterization. I actually really like how you made more characters gay than we're used to. The professors sort of spoke for themselves. Ron, I am still conflicted onyou sell it, for sure, and the Ron/Draco angle was really refreshing and sort of worked... but then you paired Draco with Astoria and made Neville gay, too, and it just seemed like your little hints throughout the series still weren't enough to make it seem real. I was expecting Neville to be in love with Hermione, because that would make sense. I'm still partial to an actual relationship or some sort of falling out with Hermione and Ron, but your dynamic between them was really enjoyable, and againyou sold it to me because of how you still managed to keep it in character.
Which leads me to my last character point: Jocelyn. I loved the idea of Draco having a sister; I hadn't read it before, it sort of worked with Lucius' philandering. I actually really liked how you made the Malfoy family deal with her... which is exactly why I was scratching my head at Lucius becoming this unlikable villainous father to Jocelyn and Snape when nothing in your work seemed to support it. And part of it, I think, lies with how unwieldy Jocelyn's voice was. Her entire character in the third book was so at odds with the first two, "character development" non-withstanding, that I found myself dreading whenever she was in a scene. I think OCs are very difficult to do in ficfar too often they are too underdeveloped, or are too obviously just author self-inserts. You had the capability of having a really interesting OC here, especially one who didn't detract from the romance of SS/HG, but I think you lost her a bit in this last part of the series.
I don't want this to come off as too harsh. I admire the work and dedication you put into this series, I think you did a wonderful job on the first two, and I think you had a lot of neat concepts I hadn't seen in my (omg) 15 years of reading HG/SS. But there was still some elements that seemed out of placeLavender's rape, Hermione's animagus form, the random pr
Smerby chapter 15 . 9/21/2017
Why was Cho Chang there?! She'd graduated in their 6th year! Theodore Nott, too, must be 25 by now at school
starbuck.23live chapter 37 . 9/13/2017
Hey Grangerous,
thank you for writing such a brilliant story. This is up there with Pet Project for me. Such a pleasure to read a story written by someone with great lefty values. Have you read the girl with the drangon tatoo books? - read them if you haven't. The author was a bloody brilliant socialist. And oh, so lovely for queer charaters not to be hidden or implied but to be main text.
Absolute champion!
Cheers,
Stevie
PS. Loved all the Melb. refs. I grew up there and loved all the familiar touches:)
jennimals2 chapter 37 . 8/27/2017
Hello! I've spent the entire weekend reading this series and absolutely LOVED it. Thank you so much for sharing!
JoySherperd chapter 37 . 8/11/2017
holy shit
JoySherperd chapter 36 . 8/11/2017
SLAYINGGGG
JoySherperd chapter 30 . 8/11/2017
Hermione is slaying at the end hahaha
JoySherperd chapter 29 . 8/11/2017
awww
JoySherperd chapter 28 . 8/11/2017
I'm curious!
JoySherperd chapter 27 . 8/11/2017
I'm obsessed with this trilogy
JoySherperd chapter 25 . 8/11/2017
I'm literally laughing so hard I'm almost crying
JoySherperd chapter 24 . 8/11/2017
WHAT JUST HAPPENED and omg I ship Draco and Ron now
JoySherperd chapter 20 . 8/10/2017
Lol Snape's definitely gonna think that she is prego
2,615 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »