Reviews for What You Don't Surrender
Bella chapter 26 . 12/13/2020
Oh my God! I just read all of this in one sitting. I've been reading Shizaya fics for years and I thought I had read all the good ones but this may be my absolute favorite! I don't know how I've missed reading it for so long. I feel like you got their characterization so perfect, it all felt so natural to the characters. I know I'll be rereading this all the time!
maychan15 chapter 1 . 9/12/2020
that was so good! it was really sweet. well done!
Guest chapter 2 . 4/21/2020
Oh gosh, i'm reading this again after many months, this is definitely one of my favorites of this pairing.
Small F0x chapter 26 . 3/11/2019
All I can say is... AMAZING! WONDERFUL! SPECTACULAR! Truly a work of brilliance! I loved it!
Raine Wintermoon chapter 26 . 9/30/2018
That's a long ride, story-wise and reading-wise, but it's so, so worth it! I've read all of your stories—which are all great in their own way, by the way—here in ffnet but I got to say this one particularly tugged everything in me. I love the way you write, so vivid from the settings to their inner turmoils. The subject and story itself is daring and bold, yet without going too farI commend you for that. Your characterizations and OCs are pleasantly well-down too.

But what I love (and what totally won me over) about this story of yours most is the way you emphasize Shizuo and Izaya's moral compasses and how they react and behave on every situation. They're so different (canonically, we all know that, haha), so contradictory, yet would eventually meet halfway without being too compliant still. This, and Izaya's reorientation without also being too far off his canon self. Don't get me wrong, I also love how you've written Shizuo's character in regards your story's subjectI felt his fears, insecurities, brokenness as if looking through a glass, so vividbut I've got to say I'm amazed how you've written Izaya's change of direction in terms of his twistedness. Appreciatively how it seemed subtle unless one read, or understand, it really hard.

If only we got at least that kind of turnaround for Izaya in canon in regards to everyone he knew... but I guess that's too farfetched and unrealistic. Wishful thinking, still. (I guess I couldn't really complain since Izaya had his own way of admitting and owning up to his mistakes in the spin-off, haha.)

Sorry for the wall of text, and thank you very much for sharing your stories with us!
Ethal chapter 26 . 6/13/2018
I read this again after a long while... and it's still the same : awesome. This reminds me again of why I answered "What you don't surrender" to a question from my teacher which was "if you were to be stranded alone on a deserted island which story would you bring ?". It was implied that you would have to read said story several times.
Berocchi chapter 26 . 6/6/2018
This story was absolutely amazing. I loved every part of it. I love the way you portrayed both Izaya and Shizuo, and the relationship. Honestly it was one of the best fanfics I've ever read. Keep up the good work.
OneAppleLeaf chapter 6 . 4/6/2018
lol. is this 'gratis' what i think it is? xD
well...I supposed for such a multilingual talented prick like Izaya, it wouldn't be strange if he know another language for 'free'
OneAppleLeaf chapter 5 . 4/6/2018
omaygawd this is...killing me (actually I want to say fantastic, but i feel really bad for Shizu chan, so ;; ...haha)
Izaya is soooo baddassssss!

It's so hard to find these days.
Usually it was the opposite, so maybe that's why.
But seeing Izaya THIS confident, this 'protective' of Shizuo (even if he didn't realize it) made my heart flutter and my mouth rise a bit, heheh
Hope Izaya didn't play with Shizuo too much tho, he's really in need of some fluff.
Well, flea-fluff x,,D
Kitty Candy chapter 3 . 6/27/2017
DAMN YOU IZAYAAAAAAAAAA...(I thankyou or taking care of my baby but still)DAMN YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
Kitty Candy chapter 2 . 6/27/2017
Wish there were pics -.- n' offense
ashleytorres2123 chapter 26 . 12/2/2016
This story was absolutely beautiful and so very sensual. I love how you portrayed izaya the most. How he can be so gentle with Shizuo and yet be a very dangerous and manipulating man. I feel you captured him perfectly in that he'd fall for his own lies while attempting to play Shizuo, so he could hurt him at the end, and fall in love with him instead. Although this story was very dark, I love how you were able to shine the light on Shizuo' sand izaya's slow developing relationship. Because tbh, I don't think these two could have a normal relationship. I feel as if there would have to be some dysfunctionalism involved. And you did this perfectly. And the ending was so bittersweet with Izaya guiding Shizuo into conquering his fear. I wish this story didn't end though. I feel as if this story could have continued because Shizuo obviously has a lot of issues in relation to intimacy. Or maybe I'm just making excuses because this story was just so beautiful and I just want to delve into the lives of these characters you portray so majestically. I look forward to reading many more of your works.
AnimeFreak1305 chapter 26 . 10/26/2016
I LOVE THIS! IT'S SO WELL DONE! (з)-
Shouka chapter 26 . 9/29/2016
I found this story again after months, and could not resist the re-read. I have to say, it's my absolute favorite Shizaya fic - even if the themes are a bit dark, you gave it all the respect it deserved and more; the characterization is one of the best too, even the secondary characters were full of that spark that made them so interesting in the anime; and your writing. Oh boy your writing. It's fantastic. I just, I'm gonna bookmark this because I'm definitely re-reading it again in a while.
HipsterL chapter 26 . 8/6/2016
it took a few days (and a few tries before that) but i got all the way through this fic and i'm really glad i did. it was well worth the full read!