Reviews for leave the bourbon on the shelf
DarkLady417 chapter 1 . 3/23
I love this! Your writing is amazing and there needs to be more Cana and gildarts stuff. Also helps gang a few lolu moments were sprinkled in 3
Anjo-san chapter 1 . 8/29/2016
The Best cana & gildarts fanfic. I love this two :) thank you!
Chyme for the Rhyme chapter 1 . 8/16/2016
I love the short, rhythmic jut of the opening paragraphs in the first scene, almost like the waves rocking the boat, and the way Cana and her father are so starkly divided by the chess pieces they play - you can't get much more of a contrast than the colours of white and black after all - and it mirrors the way they're strangers to each other essentially, how tendrils of their old relationship runs through their interaction, Cana feeling briefly victorious as she takes his pawn, before he robs her of her triumph by capturing her bishop. Because of course, he's Gildarts, he's one of the strongest mages she's ever met and with so much more experience than her, someone who failed the 'S' mage exam multiple times.

But what I love is how fragmented and broken these people are, how they've never really had a father-daughter relationship and are now struggling to define themselves as one, how Gildarts apartment is empty of almost every object they would make it feel lived in, how Cana notices the lack of photographs and they way they're more than enough space for the single, well-worn photo of him and her mum to sit on his bare walls.

And Gildarts tries and fails because he's spent his life as a single womaniser for all these years, so he messes up their festival time together and has to find her after she steps away, back from him and the dream she'd had of playing out how she thought such things should go.

And then that tentative last section when they go off to fight a dragon together, even though she's not a dragon slayer and she doesn't hold the same potential within her as Natsu does, and the way they both have differing expectations of each other, how she expects him to leave her and he expects her to come...I love it.
bls123 chapter 1 . 6/29/2016
This was beautiful - I've always loved Cana's and Gildarts' relationship, and how he just wants to be the best Dad she never had for her.
Julius Night chapter 1 . 12/7/2015
Really excellent piece, great ending as well, great work!
Moo-cow300 chapter 1 . 7/8/2015
I love Gildarts and Cana fics! I'm super glad you decided to write this one :) Thanks for the feels and the hard work- keep it up!
Vanessa Masters chapter 1 . 1/5/2015
Awwww Oh, I love it!

So sweet, and Happy!

I've ALWAYS wanted to read a fic like this, and now I have!

They deserve to be together, fatehr and daughter, I mean...alll those years. And Obviously gildarts 'I'm sorry' are for inadvertently denying her those years to do those things.

But, better late than NEVER.
Nishikikouji chapter 1 . 12/25/2014
You said don't favorite without reviewing, so now I feel morally obligated [: This was lovely, Thank you!
9momentos chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
It's very sweet, but there are some grammar errors
Thalia Ginny C chapter 1 . 6/27/2014
That is so adorable. I'm just... I'm about to cry. You are really good ar writing, and I love this story.
Sabishi Tomo chapter 1 . 6/3/2014
This is perfect, and can totally imagine it happening. Loved the character interactions :)
mirajens chapter 1 . 5/27/2014
this was actually fucking flawfree like the narrative is fun and engaging and it works with Cana and the whole /thing/ about this story. i love these insights into their family because god knows we're probably never gonna get more in the book with buttface gildarts gONE. ugh. Clive family feels. good job on this one! thanks for the great read!
Ashes2Ashes121 chapter 1 . 4/5/2014
i really enjoyed reading this. It's a very in-character exploration of Cana's feelings towards her father, and how they would start to forge a relationship. Great work!
Obiwan1527 chapter 1 . 3/20/2014
That was sweet. Good job.
XmaddieXroseX chapter 1 . 3/9/2014
This is perfect. I love it