Reviews for Fathoms
TheDawnCatcher chapter 1 . 7/15/2013
I really enjoyed this, myself, especially with a drunk Jou and a longing Kaiba. I think it was really brave of him to try something like that in the first place, and his regret afterwords just made him so much more sweet and relatable. Plus, I love the whole idea of a drunk 6-way card battle!

If you're looking for some inspiration on a more cannon interpretation, I think both Tear Me Apart by awakeningcity and Skin by Usagi Squared are great references. Tear Me Apart plays on the way they fight really well, and on how that can escalate quickly. Skin is a much slower build up, and a more realistic one when you don't take the Tear Me Apart route. You can totally ignore the fact that its a gender-bent Kaiba (Usagi took on the challenge of making a genderbent fic that was actually good, with amazing success).
Milly chapter 1 . 6/9/2013
Hey there, Milly here, I re-read this because I just recc'ed it to a non-puppyshipper (and because I haven't been reading fic in over a year and suddenly miss it). Anyway, just wanted to say that I appreciate how you treated the pairing and the characters both with the humor and seriousness they deserve. It was a good read - again.
-m
Global Wolf chapter 1 . 8/16/2012
I love the way you so subtly drop hints of a character's thoughts, and how when you flat-out state an idea, it has great timing in relation to the development of the story. This stood out most to me in the line "He hadn't taken advantage of a boy who was too intoxicated to fight back. No matter what, he hadn't become his foster father." It gives explanation to the previous descriptions of Kaiba's behavior, and the overall effect is that of a boy transitioning into adulthood, mind still haunted by the actions of his abusive parent. Your characters are really congruous and I appreciate that, especially when there's aspects of them that are non-canon.

There is something that makes me a little curious though: the tense changed from past to present in the middle of the last section. Is this an accident, or does it have some purpose I didn't catch...?
KeiMaxwell chapter 1 . 6/15/2012
Very beautiful story. I had to grin a lot at the drunken antics of the guys. And then the scene in Seto's bedroom... Well, it was really intense. I like the overall feel of this. :3
Seto's Princess chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
This was wonderful. Such a refreshing change from the almost endless sea of crap that is unfortunately Puppyshipping fanfiction. You managed to keep BOTH Jounouchi AND Kaiba in character, the bit of sex was done tastefully, and you didn't include any of the dreaded nicknames such as 'pup' or 'puppy.' Thank you for an excellent read and though I don't usually like open endings, you did it very well!
Freddie chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
This is brilliant...!
SomuchSarcasm chapter 1 . 1/9/2012
Hi

Just want to say that I thought this was wonderfully written. Your style is eloquent and I think you managed to convey the characters' emotions very well.

Well done! :)
Mulanzu chapter 1 . 1/2/2012
This wasnt bad at all :) I would have loved to have seen it stretched a little further but I still liked it
TeacupSquid chapter 1 . 12/25/2011
Ahhhhh no this is a beautiful characterization! I love how subtle you make everything about Kaiba's feelings. When writers make him out to be super emotional I dry heave. Plus the 'romance' (pft) was completely and perfectly understated, just right for this pairing. And the ending was GOOD. You didn't try to force extra feels at the very end just to round it out. It was open-ended but it was just right that way. I love this ;-; you are a perfect human being. Please exists as long as possible.
missanimefan chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
Daaaaaaaaw

I like the approach and how on one hand there was a tense wonder if things would turn out okay or be super awkward. I think you managed to pull it off in such a way that resolved the awkwardness between them before it got too into it reversing it would've been hard. Also, the reason for him to go looking in the first place seemed fitting for his characters behavior.
geminia55 chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
I really liked your fic, I think ou write really well and the characters were perfect! I hope you do write that longer fic about them, Ill be so glad to read It! Tho I'd like a little more happy ending... Im a romantic one forgive me, like honney rubbed in my face haha xD

Any way awesome work, tvm for shering it!
Guest chapter 1 . 12/8/2011
your kaiba is spot on. if you want to write a romantic story with this pairing then plan a long one. my theory is jou can help kaiba but kaiba has issues. a lot of issues. i can see them working to a romance after a long period of time. if kaiba works on those issues. but jou would not have him with that temper. he has too much respect for himself. that is how see it based on your story.
117 chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
Amazing, very well written.
yllimilly chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
I too am puzzled indeed as to why this gem has too few reviews. The clever and sometimes gritty humour kept me entertained throughout the story without distracting me from the dramatic issues at hand. The UST between the two protagonists was excellent (I am a big fan of understatement) until it got replaced by even better RST, which was again, wonderfully acted out. I caught the Gozaburo hint in time ('He trailed into silence and his jaw visibly clenched') and was glad for your subtlety about it. I'm glad this ended just the way it was supposd to; no kiss, no love confession, no make out, no rage, no pride, just tangled feelings and the willingness to untangle it all.

As for the characterization, it was refreshing to see a Joey transitioning from teenagehood to adulthood, with some stubbornness left in him still but fading away slowly, and I loved your bitint Kaiba who wasn't completely the 'one who became an adult too early' we often see him as; you conveyed this same teenagehood that he should have still and that's fading away, too.

Most of all, I love the skillful way you play with ambiguity throughout the fic, never making things quite clear for us, without leaving us empty handed.

I'm really looking forward the longshot you mentioned in your ending author's notes. Good SetoJou authors are rare, and those who excel at darkfic and understatement even rarer.

Milly
Jonouchi Katsuya chapter 1 . 12/4/2011
This is just amazing puppyshipping right here. I love how you added the small little details in such a muted and wonderful fashion to where I wanted to read every last little orgasmic word of this amazing little one-shot of awesomeness. My birthday was on the 2nd of DEC. Not just any birthday, but my 21st. This was the first thing I read right after my first drinking experience in my life. And what I great fic to read right after.

I liked everything. It was so funny and light hearted and I love how Kaiba just brought this down to utterly depressing depths with linger but not with any whining or complaining. The feelings expressed after the sexual encounter were so...

Darling, this fic leaves me speachless. I just adore it. Know that. The ending: perfect.

Thank you so much for this fic. I have actually played 12 person duel monsters and it is really, really fun.