Reviews for Fantasia
Please say you're updating soon. I love this plot!
AmandaSingh0 chapter 9 . 7/15/2014
i almost didn't read this but everything else you wrote was good so i did read it. I really love the little flashbacks of kimiko's in the last few chapters.
Nom de Plume chapter 9 . 6/3/2014
Oh.. my.. god. Ohmygodmygodmygod.
(Yes I am practically flying through all your stories now. And no I do not regret it one bit.)
I could not tell where this story was heading from the first two chapters and I -definitely- did not expect where it eventually did go... The first two chapters (and part of three) sounded like a pretty normal scenario for any kind of character and then when you added the marriage bit, I thought I had a pretty good fix for where this story was heading but then BAM, you added in the mystery of what happens to the bride, the suspense - and then it just took a 180 from the light, humorous atmosphere to twist into some dark tailspin to a version of the Xiaolin Showdown that would happen if the creators had ever decided to make it for a more mature audience. My gods, and I love it.

For all my dramatic words though, the 180 turn was not sudden at all. It was unexpected, yes, but you eased us into it. The transformation of the plot into something bigger than a typical story-line was gradual and the suspense built-up, believable. Once Chase started choking on his words, I immediately knew something was up. How normal could this marriage plot be if suddenly characters started to literally have their tongues burn off... (Exaggeration, maybe, but... who knows.) And then bam, the action scene comes in. While you certainly did not shirk on the details there.. what I was more captivated by were Kimiko's feelings during the chaos. Her paralysis was very, very realistic and true to her situation. Most people, when they watch cartoons with 'violence' in it, forget to consider the true nature of the violence. (Which I cannot blame them for since there is a lot of sugarcoating and censorship.) All of my times watching Xiaolin Showdown, it has never crossed my mind as to how sheltered these monks really were. For all of their majestic self-defense techniques and dangerous "kid"-games, it is very true that they have never been exposed to true violence and its consequences. I am so, so glad to see you address the actual dark side of the show.

The reactions of Kimiko's other three teammates were great as well, Raimundo's especially. It has been a while since I've seen the show but if I recall correctly, Raimundo had once been on the 'Dark' side, no? Even if he has never killed, the fact that he had enough cynicism to consider touching that darkness even once... shows that he has a certain mentality that is more solid than Clay and Omi's innocence.

As for this mysterious enemy that had party-crashed... the description of the beast kind of reminded me of Shingeki no Kyojin's titans... is that a coincidence or what? (You do not have to answer. I know that I do not have to fear some kind of weird cross-over here but just thought that was curious.)

I am sort of surprised with how many characters are involved in on this, not that I am complaining. Usually, there is a focus on just the pairing itself but you do not take any of the show's character for granted (well, Wuya and Jack Spicer's role remains to be seen... if ever) but while you give each character their show-time, you never forget to give the biggest spotlight to the main protagonists themselves. And despite the slightly big character cast, I appreciate that you do not overwhelm us with everybody's history... So great show of balance there.

Now, for the last part of this giant essay. The romance. The decision you made as to why you gave this kind of history to Kimiko and Chase's background was well thought-out and also developed enough to become very believable (not to mention, cute... ahh, those flashbacks.) Although the flashback in this chapter, I thought was kinda off. What I had noticed from the few Kimiko-Chaa flashbacks you had inserted in each chapter was that their dialogue usually had something to do with what had occurred in that chapter, which of course makes sense (if there was a fight scene then the flashback shows where Kimiko's skills had come from, if they just had a big argument then there's a flashback of their promise (or at least little Kimiko's wish) to stick through thick and thin, and so forth). This flashback, in particular, just sounded too much like the previous ones, where she does not want to leave him - which is why I thought it was not as impacting. So be careful of repetitiveness, in spite of the different word changes. Then again, this does not affect the story as a whole so do not mind my nitpicky-ness. I tend to do that when I find a story that manages to reel me in and engage me.

Having said that... the romance - the way you had Kimiko struggle over her feelings towards Chase - very on point. I'm glad that you also touched on their past relationship because that should be a big part of the transformation. However, I thought you gave more weight to the fact that he is a Heylin rather than her much, much older "brother" who is now very much estranged that had deterred Kimiko's feelings. Yes, she is very devout to her Xiaolin principles so you would be correct in saying that she would be distressed with the idea of fraternizing with the enemy. And yes, you did try to address as to why and when she had started seeing him as just a 'male' but how can someone who has raised you for 5 years... who practically felt like a relative, suddenly be seen in the new light of a love interest? Estrangement is one thing and I know can greatly impact one's perception of a relationship but we were never really given as to WHEN exactly she started seeing him as an enemy. With that gap in our knowledge it just felt like the Xiaolin monks had some great secretive brainwashing techniques. Because the 'familial' love I had seen between them (at least from the flashbacks alone) seemed too close to be broken so easily. Once you have expounded on that gap, I think it would be easier to see when she saw him from a beloved brother to now a stranger (not just an enemy, because relatives can still be seen as enemies) who she wouldn't have thought twice of burning (big jump there, you see?) God, that was a confusing explanation but I just hope that you caught the gist to what I am trying to say.

As for Chase, I am so, so glad of the twist you included here in this chapter. Before, from the conversation with Toshiro, I thought Chase really was in love with Kimiko (although I kind of had my doubts of this "love" because while I'll believe in the familial love, the other love-love... not so much). And I say that because obviously there was a long period of isolation between the two after she joined the Xiaolin monks - the only time he got to see Kimiko (at least to our knowledge) was during a showdown.. and that is not the greatest environment for heart-to-heart talks so I've always wondered how he saw her as a little girl to suddenly someone who he wouldn't have minded spending his life with romantically. There is a very big discrepancy there, which I think should be expanded upon. Otherwise, I do not doubt his sincerity when he said he would protect her with his life BUT that is mostly due to the fact that she is precious to him in the sense of her "past" life as his little 'sister,' not because she is someone who he is head over heels for. Sure, there may be some kind of strange twist of his feelings towards her now (a mix of lust and familial love can do that) but as of now, I agree with him that he has not fallen in love with her (yet).

And... I cannot believe this turned out much longer than expected but the length of this review is just a testament to your writing skills. You can tell how much I got into this world of yours. Yes, the characters belong to someone else but the depth you achieved with their characters and the scenario are YOURS. Well-done, really. There are some spelling errors throughout (more so in the beginning of the story) so if you ever finish and have some beta to clean this baby up - undoubtedly, this will be one of the best Chamiko stories I have read (if not, THE best, and I'm not throwing around mere praises, I really have dug through the Chamiko archives from front to back).
LuvinAniManga chapter 9 . 3/25/2014
Oh WOW, does Toshiro have a temper! But I can understand where his concerns are coming from. Yeeesh. Well, another great update, but I want answers soon! What all is going on here? PLEASE UPDATE SOON!
CrazyBitchair chapter 9 . 3/25/2014
aaaaaaaw so Chase doesn't love her? Or is he just in denial? Oooh the CIA, interesting. I hope they'll be able to save Kimiko (:
smores2946 chapter 8 . 2/4/2014
I'm screaming, that was amazing! Ant wait for the next chapters!
Volleyball3Girl chapter 8 . 12/31/2013
Um, love it! I can't wait for you to update again because this is truly amazing!
justine.rozy chapter 8 . 12/27/2013
Please continuuueeee D:
music909 chapter 8 . 12/27/2013
UPDATE SOON!
Netag Silverstar chapter 8 . 12/23/2013
I am happy for the update and i rather liked the chapter too. you are taking an interesting direction in this and i hope you update faster this time.

Best of luck, merry christmas and hope to see the next chapter soon.
LuvinAniManga chapter 8 . 12/22/2013
Ooooooh, this was an EXCELLENT chapter! First of all, I LOVE that Chase is the child of that fabled Chinese myth (I can't remember exactly which one, but I have heard of it before). It totally explains a lot about his personality and bearing. Secondly, I was SOOOO happy to see some romance happening here! I really, really, really hope more romance is coming soon! Great job, keep up the wonderful work, and PLEASE UPDATE SOON!
CrazyBitchair chapter 8 . 12/22/2013
Oh my god I loved the kiss. Interesting chapter, i wonder if Kimiko and Chase will talk about what happened or simply ignore it. And how will Kimiko react when she finds out Chase has taken her in his Citadel? (cuz i guess that's where he took her). Haha I won't burn your teddy bear this time but I might in the future xD
SupernovaBrainImplosion chapter 8 . 12/22/2013
AH! ANGST!
I am slightly confused and pensive, and I need to know what is going to happen! This is exciting and i can't wait for the next chapter but I won't burn your Ninja Fred.
smores2946 chapter 7 . 11/17/2013
OMG your story is ammmaaaaaaazzzziiiinnngggg! Please please please update soon! I love the building romance between chase and kimiko and the plot is just great in general! I love this 3
Shutupndsmil3 chapter 7 . 11/12/2013
Hope you update on this story, its sooooooo good :) Even though all of you're stories are good haha :) Big fan here. Hope to see you continue the good work
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »