Reviews for A long road home
Hope Stone chapter 5 . 7/6/2012
Enjoyed that - interesting ending.
Violamom chapter 4 . 2/18/2012
So sorry I've taken so long to review! I love it; and just like Will and Jane, I'm thrilled to see Merriman and the Lady again (after so many years!). AND the great hall and the fireplace and the candle ring and...well, you get the idea. So much nostalgia in that one room, where it all really began for Will. Poor Jane must feel very much like an outsider in such a place.

"and his words rang in the space as if many voices from unseen throats spoke with him." That's just beautiful...I could hear the whispers in my head there.

Well done...still too short ;-), but I can't wait to see what's next for our dear friends!
Jane chapter 3 . 1/4/2012
I really love this story! I hope you will post more chapters. You have the feel of the characters and the storyline right on.

Just a confession here. As I share Jane's name, I've often dreamed (esp. after rereading The Sequence) that what if I've forgotten some great magic of my life? I'm sure you've wondered that yourself ... what if some great adventure has been magicked from your memory? Hmm :-).

Anyway, I love what you are writing here. It's very satisfying for me to read this tale, where Will and Jane meet again, and she gets to remember! At least for now. Will it last? This inquiring reader would like to know!
Jane chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
Really wonderful. I just finished rereading The Dark Is Rising Sequence, feeling rather sad about the ending. I love what you created here - Will and Jane *are* Will and Jane! You have the gestures, descriptions - I feel really comfortable with these characters. Since The Dark Is Rising sequence is one of my all time favorite series of books (if not *the* favorite) consider that a high compliment. Thank you!
GreenAwesomeness chapter 3 . 12/30/2011
Ooh, shiny new DiRS fic! This is lovely, the imagery is vivid, I like it :D Oh, do please continue!
Reverend Squid chapter 3 . 12/28/2011
I love this! I read the Dark is Rising sequence over and over again as a child (and still do, as an adult), and my daughter has just started reading Over Sea Under Stone for the first time. You've caught the feel of the books really well in your style and I'm really excited to see what happens next!
leyapearl chapter 3 . 12/25/2011
I like the atmosphere you are creating with this story, and I love the doors being back. I always liked how Cooper used the doors in DoR and wished they featured more in the other stories. And the apples! I can't wait to see where you go with this.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 3 . 12/17/2011
Beautifully atmospheric yet again; I love the picture of the boat, and I liked this line particularly: "The feeling of rightness, of purpose, rang through him more sharp and bright than it had for long years; it sounded him like a bell from top to toe, so that his head was filled with music and the world around him shimmered with incomparable clarity."
Violamom chapter 3 . 12/15/2011
Augh, no! Don't stop there! After your other chapters, this feels like a snack! I'm right in the middle of reading Silver On the Tree to my children, and I'm really amazed at how closely you've captured Cooper's voice. I'm quite serious in saying she could have written this.

Now before you die of embarrassment or let your head get too big, I will say that "there's nothing to fear/worry about" was used about two times too many, especially considering how short the chapter was. But otherwise, I continue to be utterly convinced in these older versions of the Will and Jane we all know and love.

I'm also impressed with the...well...*happiness* in this chapter. I'm so used to angst and heaviness and how-depressing-it-is-for-Will-to-be-the-one-left-behind, and although you touched on that in the second chapter (and quite poignantly at that), you're not wallowing in it, and I applaud you for that. I'm assuming that there *will* eventually be some sort of danger (why else would you keep using "rising..rising...rising" as a refrain throughout?). Keep up the great work; I will pounce on each and every update! :-)
Violamom chapter 2 . 12/13/2011
Oh squee, I didn't realize this was going to be more than a oneshot! Happy day-a DiR chapter fic I'm actually looking forward to. I really love the gentleness of this story, and how you've aged Will and Jane so convincingly. (My only fear in getting involved is that you'll give us some amazing chapters, and then the well will run dry and I'll be left hanging...it happens so often in the fanfic world.) But honestly, even if these are the only two you ever post, I'm a happy camper at discovering a very talented writer who clearly has great respect for the source material. Thank you for honoring Cooper's world, and for representing the best that fanfiction has to offer. And do please keep updating! *Goes off to happily add to Story Alerts* :-)
Kelly Chambliss chapter 2 . 12/5/2011
"Back home they're all of silver, pale and gleaming, but this country is all red gold, and copper, even here right at the side of the ocean… you can tell this land has a heart of fire…"

Great line; you really do create a vivid scene. The characters are appealing, too, even though I feel a bit like Jane, having only tantalizing flashes of memory of the books as a whole (can it really be over ten years since I read them? I remember not liking the first book much, and continuing the series only because of a friend's insistence. The secod volume was much better.)

Great cliffhanger ending.
leyapearl chapter 2 . 12/5/2011
Simply lovely. I'm glad I checked the category as I hadn't in a while. You have a nice feel for the characters as adults. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for Will and Jane.
Violamom chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
*happy sigh* Oh thank you for a gem in the midst of the usual fanfic inanity...this is just beautifully written, elegant and simple, and does justice to the source. Of the three Drews, Jane has always tugged at my heart the most (I suppose that was Cooper's intention, though all the kids are wonderful characters). "But she still had the same resolute set to her shoulders, the same gentle determination in her face." Loved that. And I liked the shock in Will when she hands him his own handiwork-I'll bet it's not often he's surprised by humans. Well-done. And as such, is going in my paltry list of DiR favorites. ;-)
Kelly Chambliss chapter 1 . 12/4/2011
Beautifully atmospheric; I love this line in particular: "So now here she was, standing alone on the edge of the world watching waves crash over rocks that stretched out long hungry fingers into the ever-escaping sea."

It's been so long since I read these books that I've forgotten most of the details. I'll enjoy reading them again (soon, I hope).