Reviews for There Is No Place Like Home
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 12/5/2013
Oh, what a lovely, sad story...and one that ends with hope.
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 8/3/2013
This was a well-written, but - as another reader/reviewer already said in a previous review - needed gapfiller, since 'The Grey Havens' chapter, the last chapter of the book trilogy, is rather short but rushed.

Since we don't see much from Frodo's perspective after the first part in the book 'The Fellowship of the Ring', and instead everyone else's perspectives (including Sam, who nearly took over the role Frodo initially has in the story, the lead protagonist), in a way its nice to finally see something of this gapfiller being shown, which turned out well next to others that have almost the similar plot.

Once again, I find myself relating to Frodo in another fanfiction story, but well-written. I get that Sam is trying to help Frodo, same with Merry and Pippin, but the least those three could do is not go behind Frodo's back to offer their aide, which seems rather limited in their own rights. Same with Gandalf, but I get this feeling that, even in the original books, that nearly all of the canon characters - not sure yet about Bilbo - fail or give up trying to understand Frodo... I mean, really understand him. Same with the original characters, most of them female, that constantly crop up in fanfiction (I know your story didn't have any original characters, but this is just something I've noticed and observed). Since we don't get a chance to see the Undying Lands - maybe we did when reading 'The Silmarillion' - nor know Frodo's fate there, and later Sam's fate, how are we to know that Frodo ever found peace there, let alone healing? Maybe the reason Frodo had to spend the rest of his days (just relaying what other fans have told me, except for my guess) in the Undying Lands is because of people's lack of understanding towards him, which does explain a lot.

I did catch a few errors in this story: You misspelled Rivendell as "Rivendel", by accident. Halfway through the story, in one of Frodo's dialogues, ' "I would show you around tomorrow, but I'm afraid I'm not up to walking any distance yet.' There needs to be an end quotation after the period. Other than these two errors, there weren't anymore, at least from what my eye caught.

Overall, this story was nicely handled and well-written, of course. This story is going into my community, A Hobbit's Comeback, if that is all right with you?

Aria Breuer
Amanthya chapter 1 . 4/1/2013
I feel like this is a very neccessary fic. And good job on keeping everyone sounding like themselves - theirselves? - anyway, the dialogue and actions were in-character.
Monkshood and Angels-Trumpet chapter 1 . 11/25/2012
Love it.
mab70 chapter 1 . 5/11/2012
Lovely.
Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
I just wanted to say that I really liked this, and in my opinion it was the best of the fics for its month. :)
fandroid chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
Thank you, this fills in a lot of the 'curtained breaks' with concrete progression.

I'd always pictured all of the remaining fellowship keeping in touch, but with things falling through the cracks, and this addresses the issue of keeping in touch so well, like Sam hoping for a way to mend things by reaching out.

Also, I agree, it seemed a tad stretched for Frodo to leave as early as he did. Plus, extra kudos for the commentary on PR, and unsung heroes - the Hobbits are our protagonists, but for actual Middle Earth residents the story must have been quite different, in-universe, no matter the special distinction the little folk were given by the lords and laidies, their idols would be their own.
Lyrical Ballads chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
What a great fic! Frodo's decision to sail away is such a poignant part of the book, but I always wished that Tolkien had taken a little more time to show us the steps that led Frodo to that decision. This is a nice take on those possible steps and I especially loved Gandalf's visit to the Shire.
MrRobertsIII chapter 1 . 12/5/2011