Reviews for Handful of splinters
nguyen.k.christine chapter 4 . 9/12/2017
Apologies for the belated review; I have been intermittently chewing on bits and pieces of this chapter for a while now, waiting until I had time to sit down and articulate my thoughts properly. This is a wonderfully unique take on Finny' voice, and I think it's wholly appropriate that his notes are more of a fragmented, aimless (and slightly drunken) commentary on Gene's self-conscious, overly deliberate writing. Not that Phineas isn't self-conscious here after all - you deftly subvert the popular fanon (and canon) portrayal of Finny as "semi-literate," thoughtless, and carefree. I love that he bluntly disagrees with Gene's versions of events at points, particularly regarding their first encounter, such a stark, revelatory moment for Gene but a barely memorable one to Finny. There's a certain irony and hilarity in the fact that from Finny's point of view, Gene comes across as the more romantic one ("I know Forrester...sort of") and vice versa. And yet, running throughout is that undercurrent of love and affection. That last image, of clipping toenails and whorls of hair - ow. My heart. Thank you, as always, for sharing.
sunblanketes chapter 2 . 8/29/2017
I got a notification in my email 5 days ago about your new chapter and I may or may not have completely freaked out. Apart from this being beautifully written in general, everything about your writing so perfectly captures the essence of the novel, and reading this as an ASP fan brings me pure joy. I admire your literary talent with my whole heart. Please keep writing.
nguyen.k.christine chapter 3 . 8/9/2017
Unlike Finny's smile, the persistent absence of new chapters of this collection has in no way diminished the memory of your beautiful writing. You continue to pack a painfully pleasurable punch with every concise sentence. Gene's insights read so honestly and intuitively, and it reminds me of what I enjoyed about canon: how reliable the narrator is compared to the first-person protagonists of postmodern lit (not that I don't enjoy that from time to time). You can trust him, because he's already committed and understood his mistakes. My favorite insight here is that Finny was actually not very good at assessing people, and ironically it is that flaw (among other things) that allowed their friendship to happen in the first place.

I don't know whether to bemoan the brevity of these chapters or be glad that it spares me from more intense longing for frequent updates. Thank you for sharing, and I hope to read more from you!
Vixray chapter 2 . 9/2/2016
*screams because you're really alive*
ahem. sorry. i just haven't come across any well-written asp fics on here from more than - what? - eight years ago?
you know knowles actually wrote a collection entitled "phineas" that contains a short story including the events of how gene and finny first met. the first chapter of this reminded me uncannily of that. you have an extraordinary ability to capture the atmosphere of asp in just a few, short paragraphs in your own voice. these two chapters are nothing like what john knowles would have written, but they are undoubtedly everything he has (or would have) created.
nguyen.k.christine chapter 1 . 12/6/2015
I know it's been four years since you posted this but you stories for ASP just kill me. Your writing style so perfectly complements-without exactly imitating-the source material. It shares the subtle, understated and yet brutal self-awareness of Gene's characteristic narration and introspection, that vague tone of nostalgia that is the opposite of rose-tinted (except when it comes to Phineas, probably). I read "Nothing else matters" years ago and loved it, read the "bio" on your FFN profile page and was intrigued, and only just read this fragment today.

I love the lyricism of your words, the unpretentious poetry of them. "The locked geography of that heart" is an image and turn of phrase that will stay with me for a long time. That entire last line, really, especially because it focuses on a surprisingly overlooked side of Gene and Finny's relationship: how they delighted each other. Most of the book is so fixated on either Gene's inferiority complex and how he projects it onto Finny, or Gene's idolization of the latter, and ASP fanfic tends to emulate this. Imagining the origins of their friendship seems to me like the perfect way to think about the genuinely positive things Gene got out of it beyond the great privilege of basking in Phineas' presence; or the eternal question of what Finny himself may have seen in Gene.

I'll end my gushing here before my review becomes even longer than your fragment, but in case you even read this, I would selfishly urge you to consider continuing this fic! I think this fragment stands alone perfectly, but I am thirsty for more of the kind of insight it provides on ASP. In any case, thank you so much for sharing!
Just-Another-Fan-247 chapter 1 . 12/24/2011
Short and sweet. Nice idea to write about. I'd love to read more if you continue. :)