Reviews for Graceful Degradation
DealWithIt chapter 15 . 7/24
This...is brilliant.

You manage to have characters behave realistically, and understandably given their circumstances.

But I really hope that Fate's problems get solved soon-it would be interesting to see her on the battlefield again, and not so constantly bothered with her issues; granted, I also know that this is the kind of thing that needs to be built up, but still.

That's really about it.

Actually, I'd really like to see some more character interactions between Nanoha and Fate, too; I think that it would be interesting to see them just...talking about stuff. What they're going to do, what they think will happen when the dimensional disturbance settles, it would be a good opportunity to explore the possibilities of the world.

...It'd also be really cute, too.

But whatever.
James Sarrow chapter 1 . 7/4
I have to say, this has to be one of the more better written fictions out there. You have managed to fill a void for me with your "what if" preservative of the canon. For that, thank you.

I really like the plot and world-(re)building. You have managed to construct something that is colourful, endearing and entertaining with this tale. TSAB's reaction to the dimensional dislocation is rather interesting and pads out this tale, if anything it does make me curious to how the organization would have reacted to something like this.

If there are two things that I really enjoyed in the story, one... you manage to avoid the elephant in the room with regards to relationships. It is something that I think a lot of authors would have some commentary over, but you don't really lay that out with the subplots to this tale. I am not sure that you happen to have an opinion over that, but it rather nice that it wasn't brought to the fore of the story because I feel as if something like that would overtake everything else this tale is doing.
Two, you have really out done yourself with the characterizations here. You have manage to fill-in quite a few blank slate characters from the canon. Of those, Quint Nakajima and Megane Alpine happen to be the stand outs by having them acquired traits that eventually show with their children. Quint especially is a bit of a treat, you can really see where Subaru gets her energy from in the family.
Aside from that. There is Yunno Scrya, whom is forced to get really creative in the fights, and also interact with everyone else than slowly drifting to the side lines. It is something that come off as better than what happens in canon use to the fact that he continues to have some usage to the tale than a simple device of the sub-plot.

Anyways, than you for the good read and I really hope that this is a story that you plan to continue.
polarpwnage chapter 14 . 5/31
Uh... Did Precia succeed or fail? Ae they coming back later with super magic they gained?
WarriorServent chapter 15 . 3/12
PLEASE continue this story! It is funny, cool, logical, and all-around awesome!
Fan chapter 15 . 1/29
I've started reading Nanoha fanfics again, and I really like yours. Yuuno's my favorite character, and your fic has him actually doing stuff as well as interacting loads with Nanoha and Fate, which is always nice. Yuuno rarely gets the chance to use his archaeological skills to solve problems (except for that one researching skill) and I really liked how you brought him in to help with the Book of Darkness problem. I see that you haven't updated in a long while, but I really hope you will continue this story.
Nightraze chapter 15 . 8/21/2014
I started getting into Nanoha fanfics again and I decided to reread this story again. I am reminded about how much I really love it, but you sadly have not updated in a long time. I hope you decide to continue this story again soon!
Ragnarok chapter 15 . 8/16/2014
I am feeling sad. It's been almost a year since the last update. Is this story dead? If so, could you at least post an update telling us?
HotaruSama00 chapter 15 . 6/20/2014
Hmm... do they still have those mana batteries that Precia made? The ones that powered the Garden and the n-sphere dimensional shield? If they do, could they do something like what they did with the Jewel Seeds and drain energy through their linker cores into the Book? If so, that should account for a very large number of pages, possibly a few hundred. And as the Wolkenritter stated previously, they have about 100 pages between them, with Nanoha probably accounting for another 20-25 herself, and another 15-20 from Fate and Yuuno and 10-15 from Arf.

Or it's possible that the Jewel Seeds recharge over time, in which case they can do the aforementioned draining technique on them again, though this would be rather risky, since they'd be using Lost Logia to power another Lost Logia.

Alternatively, Nanoha may find a way to use gathered mana, similar to her Starlight spells, and feed the book using that filtered through her Core. It was mentioned in the chapter with the hospital incident that there were absurd amounts of magic just floating around in the aftermath of the dimensional displacement. So they could theoretically use that to fill pages as well.
ArcherShirou chapter 5 . 6/18/2014
epic
Dreth chapter 1 . 6/10/2014
Great story and i hope you can resume work on it. You left us with a great cliff hanger for the BoD and how Yuuno is going to try to deal with it... likely better than in cannon. I also cant wait to see the TSAB coming back to earth:
Poor earth we knew it well... Wait! ITS STILL THERE!? Why is the BoD down there?
y1fellas chapter 15 . 4/4/2014
I kinda have mixed feelings about this story. One the one hand, the characterizations are really quite excellent, and as far as taking a look at the psychology of the characters of Nanoha universe goes, it's pretty compelling. However, your story-line and pacing is actually rather terrible, your action scenes are at best passable, and your style is extremely inconsistent and changes from chapter to chapter.

I'll start with the last one: What happened to Fate's perspective being in first person? Why the change? How come some passages are from limited third person and others are from omniscient third person? If it's a stylistic choice, and each character is intended to have their own unique voice, how come I can't always immediately tell whose perspective a certain section is from? You really need to bring some regularity into the way you write this. It's seriously hurting the story for me. It's not that any one style was bad, just that you barely manage to control the tone of the story at all.

Also, your descriptions of the character and environment are usually pretty spartan. Remember, one of the best ways to control tone and atmosphere is with the background.

Plot-wise, you suffer from being a fanfiction writer in some ways, so I'll give leeway for that, but otherwise the pacing is terrible. Five chapters to deal with the show's entire first season, but then ten chapters and we're not even at the starting point of the second season? And the only real progression in the intermediate period has been Zest and the TSAB guys figuring out who's responsible? Hayate's stuff with the Wolkeinritter doesn't cut it for me. We already know how that goes.

And like I said, your action scenes are unremarkable. They're never dramatic enough, tense enough, cool enough, or 'enough' enough for my tastes. They just kinda serve the purpose of showing the reader that dangerous stuff happens and it's not being brushed over.

That said, the primary strength of this story is the intelligent portrayal of the characters and world they exist in. There are some hiccups, for example I'm not sure I understand Shirou being willing to let Fate, Arf, and Uno staying in his house, and it was just brushed over without adequate explanation, but for the most part I really like this. In particular it's nice to read a unique portrayal as Fate that actually feels like the version of her from the show, as opposed to the various other ridiculous takes so many other authors like to go with (Seriously, Fate the tsundere trainer is a real story). Also, if you're doing a character study, why on earth are you skipping out on Fate's psychology sessions? Those strike me as being potentially fascinating, and a severely missed opportunity.

Not sure I agree with your takes on the various power levels, though. Fate and Arf being weaker than Yuuno? Really? I don't buy that at all. And by what stretch of the imagination does it make sense for Nanoha to be a better flyer than Fate? Going from the show, Fate does two things well: Slashing stuff up, and flying really damn fast.

Anyway, I'll give this a face and a follow, because despite all the weaknesses it's some pretty interesting stuff here.
yobbin chapter 15 . 3/18/2014
Great chapter, I did not see the twist of Yunno studying the book coming, but in retrospect it does feel like a logical outcome.

Now that the not collecting cores has been revealed to everyone as slowly killing Hayate I can definitely see Fate volunteering to have her core drained, although Shirou would step in and insist that the adults were drained and not the children. I would also imagine that the process of filling a page would be something Yunno would think is worthwhile to study.

The best scene was Momoko and Arf's conversation. And the best line was 'Giant Redwood is useless'.

I am really enjoying your story and you are a great writer.
The 10th Wand chapter 3 . 3/16/2014
You are spending the time to develop characters that were never quite hashed out in the anime, so thats good. Was Chrono really fourteen in the anime?
The 10th Wand chapter 2 . 3/16/2014
I always felt it was odd nine year olds were let to do what they were. If it was a couple centuries ago maybe, but modern day, we won't even let children walk a ten minute distance to school. Yeah there are reasons but the discrepancy is still there.
engkeat.goh chapter 14 . 2/4/2014