Reviews for Graceful Degradation
lol everytime I check to see if this story is updated I tell myself "at least it'll happen this year" D
Forum Explorer chapter 16 . 2/4
Wow, big chapter.

Okay, well my one big complaint about this chapter is this:

Nanoha's dreamland kinda sucked. It's supposed to tempt her with this perfect world so that she won't want to wake up. Instead she gets a nice bit of casual therapy where she works out her issues. There was never any temptation or even a faint bit of desire to stay in the dream. Which is what the book is trying to do, not trying to help her work through issues. I would've went with a dream where the operation to save Hayate was a complete success. But in that case, those issues would have never been explored, which is the problem. As is the dream seems like an excuse for Nanoha to explore and confront those issues, instead of a obstacle to overcome by facing her issues.

Besides that, I thought the initial attempt to attack the city was weird. I recently rewatched A's, and the first form of the Book was very chatty, and took things very personally. And her motives were pretty linked to Hayate's emotional state right before the book was activated.

Onto other things, I am sad that you aren't going to have any NanoFate in your story, as it is likely my favorite ship of all time.

On the other hand, I am excited to see how you handle Nanoha being asexual. Being asexual has a massive impact on how someone behaves in society and with their friends because quite frankly, humanity has a very sexualized society. Someone who doesn't get it, doesn't notice it, or is repelled by it will act completely differently then someone who isn't asexual.

Overall, good job! This is a fun story to read!
Fantastic story, really really awesome.
Also nice notes, it's cool to see some of the plot choices explained so well, it somehow adds depth to know things have a sensible reason to be the way they are.
I'm a bit disappointed by the 'spoiler' about how there won't be a romance, I really was rooting for nanofate. Although, from the way you described them, that could still be possible and interesting to explore... Yuuno could look somewhere else, as the one looking for a "normal" relationship, while Nanoha and Fate could maybe try for a relationship without sex. After all, as and ace and a demi, they both have different priorities compared to others when it comes to romance. (and I admit I'd get a kick out of a lesbian couple that doesn't engage in sexual activities to be the only ones of their group having a kid (vivio)).
ijpowers92 chapter 16 . 1/24
ok. So I followed this story from a tvtropes link. And it is amazing. I cannot express how great this AU youve built is. It pulled me in very quickly, it suprised me, and Im certain will leave me disappointed in the original anime if I ever get the chance to really watch it.

Thank you for writing this. I look forward to future works from you.
gabe.d.clark.1997 chapter 16 . 12/31/2016
You know in the mean time maybe Yuuno and Arf can go look for Atlantis, It matches roughly to the disappearance of Al-Hazard (Al-Lantis ahoy). Also considering the near complete lack of magic on Earth just seams to be unnatural in the MGLN-verse
gabe.d.clark.1997 chapter 6 . 12/30/2016
Ohhhh, look at all that ambient magical energy. Does it look like the Mist from Final Fantasy 12?
gabe.d.clark.1997 chapter 4 . 12/30/2016
You know what, all she needs to do is move away from any inhabited worlds before transitioning. Since the garden CAN move in this version it's a probable scenario unless she wants to kill people for no reason.
gabe.d.clark.1997 chapter 3 . 12/30/2016
I always thought Earth was covered in ESP-ers and all our stories come from them seeing other worlds and thinking it was just their imagination.
Dragish chapter 16 . 12/26/2016
I am impressed that such a large chapter kept my attention the whole way through so bravo.

Seasson 2 is over and it goes out with a bang. I am impressed by the scale of it and by the fact that you had the masquerade break during the fight. That is going to be a hell of a butterfly to see what happenes. Does it get written off as the Tunsageka explosion or do researchers figure out what happened?

We have Nanoha get injured so badly she needs to relearn to walk just like in canon but here, it happens in one of the most epic ways possible.

I am really enjoying Nanoha/Fate interaction, even if they remain only friends their lifelong parternships is firmly laid down. Also Arf is sticking around, I am glad she isn't getting bussed off.

Happy Holidays and a sweet New Year
Belthasar chapter 16 . 12/13/2016
Thank you for writing more of this story.
ArmorOfGeddon chapter 16 . 11/15/2016
This has easily been one 8th the best Nanoha stories I have ever read on this site! Even if you do decide to end it here it has been a great run.

I am left with one question though. Did Precia successfully reach Al Hazard? I ask because even though she was clearly insane, she often acted with such malicious and spiteful intent that it's honestly hard not to hate her (doesn't help that "Game Theory" and Nanoha Innocent's Precia are so much more likeable). It would be darkly satisfying for her to have succeeded, only to later find out that Fate really was Alicia all along, and she's been pining over an empty shell this whole time. I guess her end has always been unsatisfying to me, both in canon and most fanfics. Even if she died, she died thinking she had won and was thus at peace with herself and her horrible actions.
Guest chapter 16 . 10/26/2016
Yes yes yes! You are back!
CherryBomb35 chapter 16 . 10/25/2016
Even though I have re-read this story a hundred times I still end up rolling around on my bed and screaming in glee and for a grown woman that is somewhat embarrassing. Still I can't help it this story is THAT good. To be honest the amount of detail and character development in this story is mind-boggling but I love the unique way canon scenarios play out it does NOT feel like your just rehashing scenes from the anime at all! Which I'm so thankful for because a lot of people who try to write canon compliant fics usually just screw it up. I love your author notes they always help clarify things in the story and I usually end up giggling at something you've written. I have to admit Fate's mental health being considered good by Wolkenwritter standards was hilarious to me. I also enjoy the fact that your leaving Nanoha as asexual as I've read a lot of good stories that have so much potential but then ruin it by turning romance into the main focus. Not that I don't mind a good romance fic mind you. To be honest I can't wait for the TSAB to learn about everything that's happened on Earth (or even that it still exists). It probably has to be the one thing I'm looking forward to the most. On one last note I'm really hoping you'll be able to update this story at least once more this year but no pressure. I understand that RL can be busy and these chapters are very long and likely take a while to write. Either way I'll be waiting eagerly for your next update! (Whenever that may be).
Although a bit early Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!
Windsbane chapter 16 . 10/18/2016
I enjoyed reading this story a lot. I really like the character insight and development in it. It looks a lot at how damaged Fate and the Wolkenritter are in many ways and how they cope with their situations.

You did a good job coming up with a plausible alternate way that both the cases with Precia and the Book of Darkness could have been resolved if the TSAB were not around.
ShotgunWilly chapter 16 . 9/22/2016
Very nice. I have to say that I hope you do end up writing more of this.

At the very least, I think it would be enjoyable to read a follow-up fleshing out the arrival of the TSAB to Earth, even if it's just a oneshot, even if it does just end with polite discussion.

But truth be told, I'd mostly like to see that side of the story resolved. It was kinda just like "oh hey, all this stuff is happening, stuff is about to go down..." and then later it was resolved with "oh, hey, we got a random lucky break and made sufficient inferences to figure out what probably happened and everything is great, now lets just leave the rest of that storyline hanging while A's gets finished..."

Not that it was intentional, I'm sure, plus it seems like it would have been a vital part of the build-up to StrikerS. Life does have an annoying tendency of getting in the way, but yeah, just saying. :D