Reviews for A World Without Shadows
FireInLife chapter 12 . 2/26
"Stupid move inserting attempted rape like that. It is insulting to use something as traumatic as that for a simple plot device. It's disgusting that you start off a romance story like that too. If you had to start the story off with Hawke being the savior, you had many other options to chose from.

I guess I couldn't expect any less. Merill comes off as incredibly childish and is blatantly naive about many things. A story about a romance between her and somebody like Hawke is bound to be morally ambiguous at best.

I simply can't read a story like this."

ooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooo

This was a review I posted over a year ago. I don't like stories that involve trauma and tragedy, and I especially dislike rape due to what happened to my mom. When I first started reading this story, it seemed like one of those stories (mostly written by men) that throw in rape casually simply to make the main character seem more heroic (and unfortunately, there are too many of those stories on this site). The fact that this was the beginning to a romance especially put me off, and I made a lot of assumptions.

Looking back at my review, I am really mad at what I wrote, and I'm deeply sorry about that. You're not the type of author that deserved those comments, and I was way out of line with my self-righteous attitude (not to mention blatantly wrong).

Earlier today, I found this story again and started reading it almost in one go. I got to chapter 12 before I realized I was blocked from giving you reviews, and I was shocked to find the review I posted before. This story has been wonderful so far, and I wish I would have given it a chance and realized that this story isn't like all the other ones out there.

I don't know what else to say, other than that I'm glad you've written this and decided to share it online. And again, I'm sorry.
Spikesagitta chapter 28 . 1/9
Hey, glad to see you updating :3

Hawke really is blind sonetimes isnt she? Fenris clearly like her more then a friend.
robb1068 chapter 28 . 1/9
I'm always so happy to see chapter updates for this story!
Athla chapter 28 . 1/8
At this point I consider this the definitive hawke/merrill story.
Thanks for the update!
Candle in the Night chapter 28 . 1/8
Poor Fenris. He's no where near my favourite character but unrequited love is a painful thing. And Hawke really is deserving of love. From his point to see her with someone he believes is undeserving would add insult to injury. So you're doing well in making him sympathetic and a jerk at the same time. Very in character.

The domestic bliss of Hawke's unusual family is heart warming to read, and I'm glad Orana is getting included as well. I always felt like she was under utilised in game.
Juliana Shay chapter 28 . 1/8
I always get so excited when I see you update a story. Your protrayal of Fenris was excellent. The way he was trying to control himself, guilt mixed with bitterness. All those confusing emotions that is Fenris.

I loved how you handled Bartrand... the guards and the madness as they kept coming at them and then Bartrand himself. Poor guy

more! please
ServeMeTheSky chapter 28 . 1/7
Always nice to see an update for this story in my inbox :) I loved the bit at the beginning with Merrill trying to help Orana understand her new position in the world, and I totally agree that Isabella has the sort of personality that would help anyone feel at ease. Even if she does pinch griffon feathers :D
The Phoenix King chapter 27 . 10/11/2016
Another excellent installment, and well worth the wait. As ever, your strengths are all on display here: the great characterizations, solid action, excellent dialogue and great interplay between our heroes; all the great stuff that makes your stories so engaging is here in spades. Well done!
Juliana Shay chapter 27 . 9/5/2016
This was a good has such bias for the mages but belied by his feelings for Hawke. Then he faces the people who tormented and brought him so much pain, and he reverts to his 'I hate mages' persona. Merrill is interesting because she defends Hawke. She allows Fenris to say hurtful things to her, she accepts it even. Maybe she feels she deserves it? I wonder, but when it comes to Hawke that backbone.

I love the way you throw all these feelings into the mix. Fenris's rage, but all in Hawke's and Merill's POV. Can't wait for more
Izzy chapter 27 . 9/1/2016
Great story so far.. please keep up the great work! :)
Elizabeth Carter chapter 27 . 8/20/2016
Always love this interpretation of the story, I read another AU where Hawke romanced Merrill as a Mage but Bethany also survived the oger and went to the Gallows because she was too worried about her falling to the dark-spawn. Your story is well fleshed out great character interaction and better emotional interplay than the game gave u, and what they gave us was very good
Spikesagitta chapter 27 . 8/19/2016
Literally and figurative heartless mage :p I just had to make that comment XD

Anyway, Fenris :/ Mixed feeling about the guy. Yes bad past, but totally an ass. But I can sort of see why he think so.
Candle in the Night chapter 27 . 8/17/2016
That chapter kicked off far quicker than I anticipated! Here I was expecting a quiet day at the bench and it's suddenly upended by slavers. Fenris does behave like a complete arse, but as Hawke says it's hard to hold it against him after seeing a small taste of what the magisters are capable of. Despite everything he feels like an outcast. And who could blame him? There is literally no one else who is like him.

Still an arse though.

It was great to see you updating again despite all the bad things that have happened recently. So thank you!
Wispr chapter 27 . 8/17/2016
Awesome chapter, you really got the characters personalities done wonderfully. Fully understand how real life can keep you busy and appreciate the effort you put into getting this chapter out.
Guest chapter 27 . 8/15/2016