Reviews for The Pureblood Pretense
skepsis66 chapter 21 . 5/29/2012
I can't believe the first book is over already! It's been a privilege to read this story - I haven't read such an engaging and inventive HP fic in a while. Harry's personality, needless to say, is quite unique. You can definitely see her growing and learning, expanding her horizons no matter how unwilling she sometimes may be. I particularly enjoyed how intelligent her train of thought was - the thorough logical explanations and all the theorizing over magic made the story richer as a whole. Definitely going to be stalking you through the sequel! Thanks for sharing.
Vangran chapter 21 . 5/29/2012
Great chapter! It kept me on my toes throughout and I absolutely loved it! I can't wait for part two to come out. Post as soon as you can. _
greyRest chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
wow.. you made me shock.. i really believe its complete and done for.. i really happy you'll write the sequel... can't wait for those.. and pretty please write long chapter about harry and her family at summer _
Shinga chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
OOhhh I liked this one! Of course I am defending this story, it is amazing and well thought out. I especially love Snape's character. He not the villain as most people make him out to be, just a man who was hurt very deeply by a great deal of people. He is bitter, but not evil. He should have told Harry still, there was no way to be sure that Harry wouldn't fall ill before Draco or something, besides that, he was away without contact for a few days sometimes. It only would have taken 3 days for draco to die. He should have prepared Draco's potions and left certain instructions. Still, everything is fine.

Poor Harry -no matter what, fame comes her way. Next year will be even more interesting, seeing is it will only get harder to hide her gender. With 12years she should start to have some "womanly problems" which can get you in quite a few incidents and besides, her body should already have started developing and that will only get worse...and a few hormones here and there...although that depends greatly on how hard of a time you want her to have, as with her character you can put of romance for a while...

Have fun and keep up the great work!
noone chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
ah ha! -points- i KNEW Snape wasn't an idiot! :D

aww nice ending cant wait for next book!
Frecklefreak chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
God, another drool worthy chapter, so so good, I loved how Rigel cleared the angst with Sirius up - he's way to awesome to be made sad, and as always am looking forward with anticipation for the 2nd book The Serpentine Subterfuge! Love the name, can't wait!
Vampyres 'R Me chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
Wow! Already the end of book one huh? I have to say I've read a lot of fanfiction (I have no life) and this is by far one of the best Harry Potter stories I have read in a long time! Your ideas were so unique and you expressed them in a very mesmerizing way. I cannot wait to read the next stories in this series. Keep it up, you're really good!
kk chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
by the way, dear violet, on which year will harry's parents find out about IT?
kk chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
Hooray, I must be the first few people who got to see the update. Having been checking it everyday and all. Love this story. thank you author
Neidan chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
There are strands of hope and disaster woven through the Hogwarts Malady. On the one hand, Rigel has attracted an inordinate amount of attention, on the other, she secured the goodwill of a great many Purebloods, including the Malfoys. Before the Wizengamot, she would have at least a chance of leniency though I doubt she could win a complete pardon. (I somewhat wonder how the judicial system of Wizarding England is arranged. The Wizengamot seems to be a court of first instance and final appeal, from what I recall. It doesn’t seem possible for all cases, criminal and civil, to be adjudicated by a single court.) There does seem a chance for Rigel to be a covert Jackie Robinson, a person of such gifts that the rules against Half-bloods are revealed to be archaic and misguided. On the other hand, the Masters still does not allow female members: we should not discount the power of hidebound tradition.

I am bothered by the disappearance of the ginseng supplies. Snape looking ahead and realizing the implication of acai and Draco (although I admit I had not marked the possibility of a stash), that makes perfect sense, but the wholesale disappearance of a fairly common ingredient hints at a monstrous amount of financial backing and subterfuge. For what purpose? To apply additional pressure on Hogwarts and Dumbledore? Why not take the acai supplies as well? It does seem possible that it was happenstance, a machinations in the markets unrelated to the Hogwarts Malady, but I still feel some doubt. A loose end, it seems.

The ability to gain entrance through magical cores creates disquieting possibilities. This is something Arcturus cannot realistically be taught to do, for one, although it does not seem likely he will be called on to do so in the near-term. In Rigel it is a benign ability, but the Box is open. Others can find a way and, if malevolent, damage to a core would be both devastating and unforgivable-a sort of crime that the entire Wizarding World would view with horror. If it is known that only Rigel can do this, it makes a frame job strikingly easy.

Snape does have a heart. I thought immediately of the Grinch, I have to admit, but I was also struck by the note of redemption at the end of the story. Mordant Snape, alone in his dungeons, losing his bitter edge to a child of Black. I wonder if he will feel better that his protege is not the spawn of Sirius, when he finds out, if he finds out. I find myself somewhat hopeful of a rapprochement between Snape and Black; I cannot imagine them as friends, but I can imagine a caustic, but less hate-filled, truce. It actually bothers me to think of the hatred buried in Snape’s soul, to be unable to let go of the thorns of childhood rivalry seems unfitting in a man as accomplished as he.

The other thought that strikes me is that Snape, having viewed Rigel’s mindscape, will be one of the few people immediately capable of discerning between Arcturus and Rigel should suspicion strike him. I have an image, some years hence, where Snape visits his rival as an unasked courtesy to Rigel and uncovers the deception after engaging in awkward pleasantries with Sirius. It would be a collapsing way for Snape and their families to discover the secret.

As this is the last chapter, I suppose an overarching review is in order. This story was brilliantly and engagingly done, a completely convincing imagining of Hogwarts in a Wizarding World engaged in politics, not war, and a Potter who was a girl, though well defined as something beyond a mere gender change. In many femHarry stories, the change in gender subsumes identity completely, retaining few characteristics of Harry while sinking into exaggerated femininity. This is not so here. Rigel has a very definite character and one not overdetermined by the fact of her gender.

Frankly speaking, except for occupying Harry Potter’s place in the tapestry of familial relationships (child of Lily and James, godchild of Sirius, etc), I would say Rigel is a wonderfully original character. The selflessness is there and the courage, but the fundamental differences in the assumptions of the world creates a personality molded into a much different shape. The clay is the same, but the shape is different.

I thoroughly enjoyed each chapter, look forward to the next installation, and somewhat curse your abilities of distraction-I'm supposed to by studying right now! I'm going to fail! Well...I probably won't, but I tend towards Hermione in preparations. Bravo, Violet, bravo!
Aliyah Arden chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
Thank you, thank you!

Seeing that you had updated made my day. :)

The chapter was excellent as always. I meant to review last chapter, but I did not have the energy and mental wherewithal to express my appreciation. Frequently I am very ill, so having a story which consistently draws me in and makes me smile to look forward to significantly improves my outlook. Opening my inbox and receiving the story alert was like receiving an unexpected present that made me feel better for the whole day.

I only say this so you can understand the sort of impact you are able to have by writing. I truly appreciate it and I hope you are able to continue for a long time.

Aliyah

P.S. When Sirius is spinning Rigel around you wrote 'like he was want to do'. Did you mean to write 'wont' in this case? I may have simply gotten confused though. :p

This was the only potential mistake I noticed.
Geriana chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
I love this story. You are my hero. Please don't quit writing. At least finish the series first. I don't think my poor heart could handle it if sometime you quit the series before you finished. I'm interested in finding out when people will know that they switched places. I think that their parents may support them if they tell. Oh I can't wait until Snape finds out! I'm so excited for the next installment. Thank you for being amazing!

Geriana
Howaboutnow chapter 16 . 5/28/2012
Eeeee this story is making me very happy, i love Alanna, so this is just about the best cross ever. Really want to read this in one go but its 1am and my eyes are failing, I'll be back :) keep up the brilliant work x
J.F.C chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
Awesome, I must admit that I was in shock with the revelation at the end. I was originally going to say as a joke that Harry could had set the world's record of having the largest life debts by saving all of those kids, but it seems that she didn't even oficially gotten Draco's debt...I'm been sarcastic on this last one. Harry would have won that debt anyways, since Snape's potion would have come to an end anyways. The only thing that would have change is that the sickness woule have lasted longer. Snape might have had come with a cure by then, but I doubt it since he was still facing with the trouble of getting those needed ingredients for the potion. In summary, no matter what would had happen...Harry would had still earn Draco's family debt, since she

was the one that came with a permanent cure. Not like Snape that only had potions to keep Draco alive for a littke while longer.

Anyways, changing the subject. I'm glad that my worries with Sketter didn't happened. Knowing her she could had actually turned Harry's miracle into an accusation where, "how was it possible for a small child came with a cure? On less that kid was responsible for it in the first place." That is something that Skettercould have come up with, as she accusses the Blacks to be ones responsible of spredding that sickness to those students; so at the last moment they show up with the cure...and be threated as the heroes and increase their power in the wizarding world. Anyways, that is just a possibility that I'm glad didn't happen in the end.

Hope to see your epilogue and the second part soon.
PrincessKitty25 chapter 21 . 5/28/2012
That was a very enjoyable chapter, I can't wait to see what happens next. I hope you can update soon! I was also wondering if Harry will be meeting Tom Riddle any time soon?
484 | « Prev Page 1 .. 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 .. Last Next »