Reviews for The Pureblood Pretense
Slytherin's Destiel shipper chapter 22 . 7/6/2014
So I just finster your Story and I have to say that I absolutes loved it. This fanfiction is actually the first long story I read and I don't regeret it. I really like your writing stile and your description of Snape.
And nie I have to continue with The Serpentine Subterfuge.
Starlight Chibi-chan chapter 12 . 6/26/2014
This story is really amazing! I loved the Alanna series, and Tamora Pierce's novels. To see you integrate those concepts into the Harry Potter world so seamlessly is a real treat! It's so rare to see high-caliber fanfiction like this nowadays. Can't wait to read the rest.
TsuQ chapter 22 . 6/25/2014
Awesomely amazing fic.

I normally dislike 'complete' fics that are only complete for the year, but this one, whether through the epic scale, or the strong story arch, manages to actually feel complete in itself while still maintaining my interest in what the future brings.

Part of the interest generated by this series no doubt comes from the universe it exists in. A place where Tom Riddle decided to emphasize a political approach to obtaining his goals, where simultaneously a very different 'Harry Potter' enters into the most political of the Hogwarts houses, indirectly, and perhaps even incidentally thwarting his plans with nothing but good intentions and what is essentially, a thirst to prove 'himself'. The events themselves however, are so separate from cannon, or abstracted to such a degree, that even though all the characterization of all the known players is spot on, the way things unfold is fascinating.

The only portion of the plotting I found odd, was the concept that you can't "substitute a substitute" since one imagines one possible substitute should be as plausible as another, which is to say, it's a bit of a misstatement, in the sense that you shouldn't be trying to substitute the substitute as such, as you are trying to find a substitute for the original potion, which just happens to be different from one which you already found. It works as a truism I suppose, one can imagine that the interactions are such that at least for a given key ingredient, it usually works out that there is only one other ingredient which would function in its place, but as a hard rule it seems spurious. I suppose I base this mostly around the discussion on the combination of potions earlier on, which suggested to me a much greater flexibility surrounding potions than that statement suggests. One would think if you didn't mind accepting certain side effects for the sake of short term benefit, you could, at least in the short run, normally produce some form of hybrid potion/poison that would be temporarily useful.

That leads me to the last point I should make, the excellence of the systems created in this story. Whether occlumency, potions, the flow of magic in general, or (to a lesser extent,) aristocratic etiquette these systems work within this story in such a way, that they have a heft to them. There is a feeling that this universe is one which is indeed bound by a set of rules and regulations about the way things operate, and not likely to change in drastic or unexpected ways when it becomes convenient for the plot or a given character within it. This makes the conflicts seem truly troublesome, and their eventual solutions quite meaningful.

Overall, it's an excellent story, and I anticipate great things from this series, not terrible, just great.
UnbiasedBias chapter 22 . 6/23/2014
I am absolutely enraptured by your magical world of Harietta/Rigel Black. The detail you put into your magical theory and potion recipes is incredible and I'm blown away by the sheer depth of it. Since I read this in two days (I know, I know. 200k in two days. I'm a frantic book reader when hooked), I think it's amusing that you had to rewrite this a few times to un-Mary Sue Harietta. And now chapters are 20k each. Isn't it funny how characters take on a life of their own?

There is much more I look forward to, and for that, I move on to your second novel.

Thanks for the brilliant read!
Aisucold chapter 22 . 6/22/2014
gah! that was ah-mazing! Thank you so much for writing such an amazing story! off to read the sequel...
Aisucold chapter 21 . 6/22/2014
I wonder how many allies she had now!?

Great story! thank you!
Aisucold chapter 20 . 6/22/2014
that was great!
Aisucold chapter 19 . 6/22/2014
Snape's reaction to all her potions was intense! I wasn't expecting that big of a reaction but now i understand why. The difference between a boil cure and an imbued potion is pretty big. It was well thought out. ( I keep giving you the same praise over and over , but i cant help it, haha)

I thought it was interesting how Rigel look at diseases. The goal of it is very true.

That vow was incredibly stupid of her. Ugh. She needs to learn to barter!

Great chapter!
Aisucold chapter 18 . 6/22/2014
I love the magical theory on Rigel's magic and how she interacted with it caused most of her trouble. Even a muggle like me knows shoving your magic is a bad idea, lol. The mind impact was particularly great. And the contradicting methods of ordering, forcing, and suppressing magic vs just asking and working WITH it was fascinating. When Rigel got scared by her magic doing things before her incantation, I totally thought she was overreacting because wordless magic is what you should aspire to! She is so scared of being amazing she's putting herself into a box of being average. Or maybe she just so into potions she doesn't even realize she's doing it. I have a feeling she's a mage or someone who has a deeper connection with magic.

The potion theory on imbuing was awesome! So well thought out. And the Snape/Rigel interactions were so good! I cant wait to see how their mentor relationship grows. Are they going to figure out the sickness together? The potions names and the fairy tale references were a great touch.

I enjoyed the Flying and healing explanation. Again the theory is amazing. and man, Draco is sooo cute. I can Imagine little draco babbling in excitement.

I'm really enjoying watching Fred and George becoming closer with Rigel. She finally getting into pranks.

That reform is crazy! I hope they fix that sickness before the cows use it to push the reforms through. I also wonder if the whole sickness is the cows doing.

lol'd at Sirius and his love for his little snake and how he taught it to roll over! And the prank with Snape as a knight was hilarious.

I'm actually realizing with Rigel how big her ruse actually is, and i'm happy she decided that she is going to make sure its no loose ends. Its nothing worse than seeing someone go down for something stupid like a tiny loose end.

Rookwood and Selwyn's game was a great touch, and im happy Harry is getting all sorts of allies!

Snape's pov was great and cant wait to see the reaction of all the potions!

Whew that was long and i didnt proof read so its full of typos . haha. Great chapter! Thanks so much for writing it!
Aisucold chapter 17 . 6/22/2014
The politics are getting crazy! Reforms that force half bloods to marry and integrate into pureblood society!? These cows are tripping!
The magic and wand theories are cool and different. Its weird how they have their own personalities and emotions.
Percy as an ally is freaking intelligent and fits him so well. Cause he was sooooo smart and ambitious in cannon but man, did he turn into a loser until the very end. I like how you tied the potential impacts of not having strong bonds with his family in. I think thats a great look at why he was so willing to desert. He was so unappreciated and disrespected. I love how you write him in your story. He is a great character to read.
George and Fred are similarly awesome. Its always a guaranteed laugh when you write them into a scene. especially when it involves house elves!
The magical theory on potions learning was freaking well thought out and amazing! loved it. It even made me think of neville in cannon. And speaking of Neville, he pretty great in your story. I really enjoy the way you switched up the characters. I never thought I'd see Ron and Neville as BFFs.

Great Chapter!
Aisucold chapter 16 . 6/22/2014
the snakes were so cute 3

If she gets caught, she goes to azkaban!? thats harsh!
Aisucold chapter 15 . 6/21/2014
I kinda had a feeling it was Lee before. He was being such a weirdo.

Harry's magic is freaking weird. Is this going to be a constant problem?
Aisucold chapter 14 . 6/21/2014
Who is attacking harry!? I wonder...

Man i love the house elves in your story! they're great!

I wonder about the new bill...

great chapter!
Aisucold chapter 13 . 6/21/2014
It really annoys me that Harry was constantly getting detention for his spell casting instead of help to figure out what was wrong. But other then that great chapter!
Aisucold chapter 12 . 6/21/2014
love the thought you put into the magical theory! its super interesting to read!
The twins and percy are great! I even like your Ron which is unusual for Slytherin Harry fics because fanfic authors love to make characters completely black or white depending on who they like.
And i guess the no war helps.

Great chapter as usual