Reviews for A SCA Girl in Middle Earth
Xiaou Nem chapter 25 . 5/20
This story is really awesome, you're a fantastic writer and your characters are extremely engaging. I'm fascinated what you have managed to create out of this funny premise.
I'm so sad, because now Boromir kind of has to die, you know? I can't imagine Mairi staying in Middle Earth... Her name is great, by the way. I'm going to be waiting with bated breath for the next few chapters.
Btw, I was never much of a Lotr fan girl, the books are pretty boring (I read them twice, I really tried!). The one larp I attended was from before I knew the books. So the only reason I started reading was because I appreciated your HP fan fiction and wanted to look into your other stories. Now I find the lotr trilogy really interesting, the way you write it.
So, I hope you find the time for the important things in life.
I'm working and studying full time as well, so I think I know what you've been going through.
Thank you and stay awesome!
Diablita chapter 1 . 5/18
I really like the concept! I am learning a bit about SCA as well as enjoying the story.
Tsamoka chapter 25 . 3/17
While the Mary Sue is quite annoying, you've managed to play it well enough not to fall into it's trap. Very good work so far. Keep it up! :)
kelpiejh chapter 25 . 2/20
I know you mentioned that she has epilepsy, however you haven't elaborated on that. Otherwise, great story and ripple effect!
Avalonemyst chapter 25 . 2/17
Awesomeness awaiting with bated breath for more!
Igenlode Wordsmith chapter 25 . 2/16
I didn't remember Tauriel in this, but apparently she popped up unheralded in Ch22...
I wonder who *did* do Eowyn's 'job' in canon when she disappeared with the Riders? Presumably she left some kind of message with one of her women to explain that she hadn't fallen victim to a sneak attack or gone out riding and got lost - otherwise I can see consternation ensuing when it was realised that their leader had vanished :-(
I think that in canon Eowyn's motives are pretty much selfish ones: like Merry, she doesn't want to be left behind "to be called for" when everyone she cares about is going out to risk their lives. And she is at least qualified to do something useful when it comes to battle - unlike Merry!

Wormtongue is safely dead at this point, isn't he?
(Eowyn could have presumably defended herself *physically* against him; but doing so against a man who is high in the King's confidence would have been almost as disastrous, and Wormtongue could have turned the circumstances of any such occasion round against her.)

Prophetic dreams certainly turn up conveniently in Tolkien's universe - presumably by direct intervention of the Valar!

No, I don't suppose Merry is familiar with the concept of camp followers ;-p

"Pippin was trying not to let his nerves get the better of him" - this sentence seems to be from Pippin's point of view, but the remainder of the scene is definitely seen from Boromir's perspective.

"Boromir sat down next to the nervous Hobbit and still-silent lady" - who is the mysterious lady sitting outside the Throne Room?
(edit: it eventually dawned on me that this is probably Suzi-Maria rather than some random lady of the court, but it's not at all obvious... especially as she was last seen disappearing off for a bath, and doesn't feature anywhere else in this scene...)

Ah, the beacon issue :-)

Faramir tweaking his elder brother's tail over his love-life is certainly a new side of the siblings' relationship! (My mental image of Faramir has always been of someone both more serious and too sweet-natured to engage in such teasing: but in trurth we get very little sense in canon of how the brothers interacted, though.)

I hadn't realised just how little Boromir actually knows about Mairi still - that could prove a hazard, if she has either to try to explain the truth or to back up a fictitious past :-(
(But it makes sense, since in canon the Fellowship certainly didn't spend time discussing their family backgrounds: I shouldn't think Boromir ever knew anything about Frodo's origins, for instance, and possibly not even about his relationship to Bilbo.)

Is the Lady of Rohan really expected to handle her own cooking in an army encampment? I'd expected camp kettles rather than food on a per-tent basis :-)

Dear me, Mairi appears to have inadvertently weaponised a whole new segment of the population ;-p

Various typos in this chapter:
fearing that Worntongue would grow too bold
feverently wishing that he could swear himself to Boromir,
It has been that was for a long time,
re-enforcements
avalance
Theoden or any of the Marshels
Shaunee Altman chapter 25 . 2/14
Love it .
Kin Pandun chapter 25 . 2/14
Awesome chapter. Your changes and explanations make total sense. Love the Boromir spit-take and Mairi being thanked/the source of a larger muster. Also, the thing with being horrible at tents is horribly endearing.

I can hardly wait to read more. You flesh the world out so very well.

Thanks for writing,
Kin.
swytla chapter 25 . 2/14
A great chapter. :D I love the romance between Boromir and Mairi, especially when it gives others something to needle him about. Eowyn going into battle and having the reinforcement of Mairi and Tauriel both is nicely done. The ripple effect though - I've never really thought that much about the missing men but it makes sense. Good point.
Astiar chapter 24 . 1/19
always thrilled to see an update for this. I agree with the war time romance and also add that most everyone in Tolkiens world seems to fall head over heels at first sight. So you could argue that they are actually taking a long time to get together.
With the maidens proving they can defend themselves that should free more of the Rohirrim for aiding Gondor. Which in turn may mean fewer casualties in the coming battle. I wonder if you are going to kill Boromir in the battle or let him live to have a broken heart if they go back to Earth.
Igenlode Wordsmith chapter 24 . 1/19
I was a bit confused about what Boromir meant when he felt that having Pippin accompany him was "less trouble than leaving Gandalf to his own devices in order to get information" - is he worried that Gandalf's own snooping techniques may get detected and cause an uproar?
I like the way that he is worrying about making a good impression on Mairi's father and/or Rowan on the assumption that this will be required for the purposes of requesting her hand in marriage - a ramification that had not occurred to me!
Handy sneaking skills... and a neat rationale for enlisting Pippin into the guard as per canon... I'm not clear why Denethor would oppose lighting the beacons in this AU, since he presumably gave the order to do so in canon: is it because with Boromir's return here things don't seem so desperate?
Igenlode W chapter 23 . 1/2
I'm a bit confused as to what Boromir expected to happen in Ithilien that would spare his brother from Denethor's annoyance - is he hoping that Faramir *will* arrest Frodo and bring the Ring back home? Or that in encountering Frodo (but letting him go?) he will shield himself from accusations of failing to detect strangers wandering through Ithilien?
Igenlode Wordsmith chapter 23 . 1/2
"There really was no talking to Wizards, but nor was there any talking to Boromir's father when he was annoyed about something" - hence a singularly frustrating and fruitless conversation, no doubt! Of course, Denethor doesn't know how lucky he is not to be sitting there with the two ruined halves of his son's horn in his lap...
The Steward sounds querulous but very Denethor-ish in this: Boromir manages to be convincingly reassuring :-)
Silimaira chapter 23 . 12/31/2014
Happy New Year!
Silimaira chapter 22 . 12/31/2014
That friendship (it's one now, I've decided) between Legolas and Miri is a nice thing to read about.