Reviews for Whipping Boy
Guest chapter 1 . 4/28/2015
amazing!
Guest chapter 1 . 3/1/2015
This hurts with its acumen in the field of Intrapersonal psychology betwixt Sherlock and John
detectivejigsaw chapter 1 . 9/16/2014
I can't help wondering what Sherlock did to deserve this. So, basically the idea is that he was sticking his nose in where Mycroft felt it didn't belong, so he had John beaten to make him back off? That's really...not cool. Talk about being an ice man.

I do like how Sherlock is very gentle with John afterwards, and gets reassurance from hugging and touching him. And even if he doesn't think so, I can imagine that if Mycroft did something like that again, there is very little that would stop Sherlock from attacking him, and as you say, possibly beating him to death.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/18/2014
This is slightly shocking. I'd like to believe that Mycroft wouldn't go this far in trying to make Sherlock behave himself. But with a name like Iceman, I guess it's not impossible. That's horrible. And yet it's sweet to see Sherlock doing something so human as comfort John afterward.
hjohn302 chapter 1 . 11/10/2013
OH... this kills me.

Seriously.

Kills. Me.

Amazing job. It makes me want to know the back story... and at the same time, I am completely satisfied with where you left it.
Not having John speak a word, just either clinging to Sherlock's shirt, or looking at (hurt and sad and steady... or silent, shaking and watchful) either Sherlock or Mycroft is so powerful. It gives even more impact to Sherlock's words and actions and emotions than if he'd said a thing. To have him silent, hurting, and observing gives us a deep insight into just how influential he is in Sherlock's life. That Sherlock is "cold, except for where he holds John snug against him," is very telling.

I love this.
Fang's Fawn chapter 1 . 4/18/2013
I have to tell you, I think you did an amazing job here. This is normally not my thing, but I have to admire your skill in pulling it off. It disturbed the hell out of me, and not because of the violence so much as the psychological intimidation of the piece, which was far more frightening. Your portrayal of Mycroft really makes me see him the way Moriarty described him, as an "Iceman," someone who is capable of truly horrendous things all for "the greater good." A scene like this would never appear in the series, of course, but once you wrote it out, it didn't seem all that farfetched...that Mycroft would be capable of attempting to exert control over his younger brother (whom he obviously cares for in his own way) by having his brother's best friend (a man whom Mycroft himself respects and finds admirable) beaten. What makes it so awful is how dispassionate he was about it...he seemed to feel no more than a mild regret that it was "necessary," and yet got no pleasure from it, either. Yeesh. Creepy cold!

It's a well-written piece, too...you never even split an infinitive! Good characterization: Mycroft's power complex, Sherlock's speechless rage, John's stoic acceptance. I agree with another of your reviewers, the White Lily, that this vignette is perfect as it is, with the creepy gaps left to the reader's imagination. And yet I can't help thinking what a powerful prequel it would be to have John, headed home from work in all innocence, picked up off the street a la one of Mycroft's "kidnappings." I wince to think of John sitting in the back of the black car, a bit apprehensive, maybe, but not anxious, passing the time by trying, unsuccessfully, to chat up a distant Anthea while she taps away at her SmartPhone and makes a point of ignoring him. Then he arrives at his unknown destination only to have Mycroft tell him calmly what's about to happen and why. I imagine John, a strong and independent character, would protest, but then I could see an oily Mycroft ruthlessly exploiting John's nobler qualities (his sense of duty, his affection for Sherlock – qualities someone like Mycroft might see as weakness to be used) to get him to submit to it, however unwillingly. That would be a challenging conversation to write.

I don't see Mycroft, with his dislike for "legwork," carrying out "Sherlock's punishment" himself, but I also found myself wondering if he absented himself from the proceedings to spare John the humiliation, or if he stayed to coolly observe so as to ensure things didn't go too far. Because that was another beautifully understated reference in your piece...he obviously wanted John to be hurt "enough, but not too much," resulting in bruises and welts and shaken nerves for both him and Sherlock, but nothing that would require hospitalization. There's just something so horrifically cold about that.

At any rate: well done!
The White Lily chapter 1 . 3/18/2013
Wow. Dark. Also, seriously, Mycroft: Big. Mistake. I am so not kidding. Would love to read more, but unfortunately I think it's perfect just as it is, with all the creepy gaps left to the reader's imagination. Great work.
AreYouReady chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
Iiiiinteresting...
I've been wondering when I'd see a fic with Mycroft using John to control Sherlock.
Sherley Holmes chapter 1 . 9/7/2012
I'm speechless and in tears. If I could get anywhere near Mycroft right now, he would be in for some serious pain. How DARE he touch John?! I just... Grr.
Beautifully written though.
rukushaka chapter 1 . 9/7/2012
gngnnhngngnngh I have no words. This is superb. Please, more - a prequel or a sequel or an aftermath or an epilogue or a 50,000 word novel... anything? :) Amazing.
MusicalEscape chapter 1 . 1/11/2012
Dear Mycroft,

How's the diet?

By the way, if you touch John again... well, lets just say the outcome won't be pretty.

Love,

MusicalEscape

Again, beautiful. Made me all sfknsf.
hawkflyer667 chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
This is an interesting story! Is it going to be continued? I have a morbid fasination for things like that. Haha. :)
Pinguin1993 chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
This. No. THIS. I don't know. I was expecting something. Some AU of sorts, I guess, going by the story description. Chose to read it anyway because it's you. And then this. Not expecting this, not at all, a bit overwhelmed now, in a baaaad good way if that makes sense. I'm not sure Sherlock can't talk sense into John but it seems strangely plausible this way, and that is honestly frightening me. Huh.

The scene with Sherlock losing John's hand contact was very intense. I liked that especially. And the "rare moment of jaw-dropping lack of foresight" from Mycroft because DUDE what WERE you thinking?

I know it's completed and you made the points clear, but if there is any chance you'll add more chapters, well. Feel free to do so. Don't let me stop you. *grin*

-Pin-