Reviews for Second Chances
This review is a response to the review Tempestuous Ocean with the knowledge that you will likely never see this:

First I will say that Second Chances is one of my favorite HOD fanfics and RedTailedHawkens is one of my favorite HOD authors.

That being said, everyone is of course entitled to their own opinions and if you didn't happen to like the story that is your choice. However, I take issue with some of the comments you made in your review. The first thing is, if you are going to fact check someone, you should have the facts straight yourself. George did call off the wedding because he found out abut Lemon and Lavon having an affair while he had been in NY. It was the bachelor party episode 1x18. It was a pretty big deal so I'm not sure how you missed it. Yes, George and Lemon do end up getting back together at the end of the race, 1x20, before he calls it off again right before they are supposed to get married but he called it off originally when he found out about the affair.

Next you question Wade feeling inferior to George and you claim that Wade was always comfortable with himself. Actually, if you watch the episode where Wade and George take the rangers camping, 2x08, Wade has a conversation with one of the kids and basically admits that he has compared himself to George his whole life and felt like he wasn't as good as George. He masks those feelings most of the time and has been for a long time but that feeling of inferiority is still there even if he doesn't talk about it much. You can see it in his actions.

Then you come to Zoe and here I have to correct some comments as well. While I agree that Zoe doesn't sleep with more than one guy at a time she certainly was not completely focused on one person at a time. When she initially gets together with Wade she still has feelings for George. She may not be sleeping with George but she isn't "always focused on one person". And as far as this story goes, don't forget that she doesn't know how serious she and George are. She doesn't know if they are sleeping together because she doesn't remember the relationship. You also make another factual error in this section about Wade by claiming that he "demanded to be seriously trying things" and "never hit on non-single women". In fact both of these statements are false. Wade did demand that he and Zoe be seriously trying but not until well into their sleeping together. He was fine with them being casual/hiding things until George puts the idea in his head that Zoe might be using him as a placeholder for George. More egregious is the statement about him never hitting on non-single women. Did you watch season 3? The first few episodes of the season show him with many different women especially episode 3x04 when he sleeps with a girl whose boyfriend is out of town and then hooks up with a married woman in the closet at the Halloween party. George finally points out to him that he is trying to get together with every unavailable woman out there because he can't have the one he really wants (Zoe). The evolved Wade that we see later on, especially later in Season 3, probably wouldn't be with someone he knew was in a relationship but the earlier, more immature Wade never seemed to have a problem with it. And several of his past flings talk about him cheating on them when they had been together (Tansy and Lily Anne to name a couple) so I don't think fidelity it something he really concerned himself with as a general rule back then. The Zoe/George thing of course is different for Wade because he is friends with both of them and he has grown up by this point as well.

As for your comment about the grammar, I think a lot of those were intentional. Saying ain't is very common in people with less education and especially from rural areas in the south. While the show didn't really display this, it would not be uncommon for someone like Wade (poor upbringing, no advanced education, difficult home life with little parental involvement after the age of 10) to use that or other words that might not be correct English. Now someone like Rose saying it would be a little more unusual so I would agree with you on that but in general I don't actually thinks those were the mistakes you think they were.

One thing I probably would agree with you on is that there could have been some things that were explained in the story itself instead of in an authors note but some of those I think were in response to things reviewers had asked or commented on.

Finally, you comment on the author "ignoring" things that happened on the show and I think you have to remember that she started this story pretty early on in season 1 and a lot of things changed on the show that no longer fit with where she had the story going (Wade and Zoe sleeping together in the finale for example). That's fanfic, things are different from the show some times. You just have to go with it. If you don't want anything to be different than it was on the show then I don't know if fan fiction is the place for you.

That was really long but I just couldn't let some of your comments go because they bothered me too much. Again, differences of opinion are fine and you do make a few comments about how to improve the flow of the story that are probably true but I really think you should make sure you have your facts straight before you call some else out of them.
This is still one of my favorite fanfictions and I wish you would come back and update your other HoD stories. They are too good to be left unfinished!
chickenslovebone chapter 21 . 2/23
I don't think its at all egotistical to like the Rose/Dean dynamic that you yourself created. It shows passion in your work when you are in love with your own characters. It would be a little weird if you wrote their relationship and didn't love it.
Tempestuous Ocean chapter 29 . 10/25/2016
First of all, I want to explain my opinion about George:

It is obvious, from the way tou described him, you see Geoege as a romantic, understanding and loyal lover. While he might be a good guy, he wasn't a necessarily great boyfriend. The guy in canon tv series never quite knew what he wanted in a partner, and almost always jumped from one relationship to another. He was a good guy, sure, but nowhere near perfect. Not in the least bit. And if I recall correctly, it was George who called off the wedding with Lemon, and not because she was secretly seeing Lavon. (He learned about that later.) So this pity party you created for him is a little bit unjustified. He was not always so responsible, sometimes behaved silly and suffered the consequences. Now, I am not saying these because I'm not a Zeorge fan. I think the fact that you find the couple cute affected your plot line. Many events were altered to fit into their relationship, like the fireman thing and George dating others beng written off. If you wrote a Zeorge story it might be justifiable, but you didn't. Also your numerious complaints about the lack of official Zeorge relationship were misplaced, badly. A lot things you ignored caused it. If you can't accept this, write it on your profile page. It doesn't look good in the story pages.

Another thing: Wade's character assasination. And I'm not saying this lightly. Sure he was dramatic in tv series and tended to brood sometimes, he had never such low self-esteem issues. Right, he sometimes doubted himself, but you basically made him feel inferior to the others (especially George) since early childhood (due to poverty and lack of educ.). Such a situation sounds possible of course. But it is not canon. He was comfortable with being himself, and quite shameless. For everything you changed for George affected him(G) positively. And everything you changed for Wade affected him(W) negatively, somehow. Again, favaroutism flags. Sure Wade ended up getting the girl, but this story did not delivered the evolution of their relationship, not really. In tv series, Zoe and Wade were like this: annoying neighbours, then reluctant friends, then friends with benefits, the sort of friends again, then dating, then exes, then enemies, then dating again...

And the last sentence before this brings me to Zoe. In tv series she was never so indecisive. Sure she was attracted to Wade when she was pining over George in the first seasons, but when it came to relationships she always focused on one person. So two-timing different guys was not cool, for me. Memory loss can excuse her indecisive behaviour, but what about having sex with Wade without ofically breaking up with George? (Also, Wade was quite OOC there too. In tv series, he demandad to be seriously trying thing while dating and never hit on nonsingle women.) And... it is quite unclear to me why Zoe fell out of love with George and started dating Wade. Sure, se made new memories and Wade confessed and all, but as you pointed so many times, she loved George (in this story). As for Wade's confession, for Zoe, his 'sometimes-an-ass-but-still-dear friend turned out to be in love with her. This obviously awakened her own attraction to Wade, but things happened out of the blue. Reader couldn't connect, not really.

Story idea is great, though. You obviously put a lot of effort into this. It is just that the plot made it a poor Zoe/Wade story. This story should have been Zeorge, with the amount of backround you put for them. Character development and 'getting memories back' doean't justify lack of Wade depth. Wallowing is self-pity was the only thing we saw, when we read his inner world. The only characters who were not so obviously OOC were Lavon and Rose, I think. Especially Rose's chrac. development was very well done. One thing though: where the hell was Annabebeth?

Reading the first chapters was difficult. There were a lot pf grammar mistakes and ┼čack of descriptive depth. But you improved a lot as you wrote, particularly in the second half of the story. Try to explain things in the story with your words, though. Long ANs always look terrible.

Overall, nice enough. Not a great story, but certainly a good snack of reading if you have free time. However, this has a great rewrite potential. If ypu decide to write this whithout making it a romance cliche, then it could be great.
Soffan 15 chapter 29 . 7/19/2016
Really good story. Keep writing hod stories
larilari17 chapter 29 . 2/6/2015
Great story, definitely one of my favorites. So sad to see it end but glad you finish it. Thank you for that and congratulations. Hope to see updates of your others HoD fics as well since I loved them, including the newest one.
Nicole chapter 29 . 2/4/2015
Saw that you had posted a new story and felt bad about not reviewing this one so before I started the new one just thought I would congratulate you on an excellant finish.

Loved how just before the accident Zoe was going to ring wade whilst I was reading that chapter I was thinking I would love to see some more memories or conflicted thoughts from Zoe about Wade and then having her think about him just before the accident was a small but perfect moment.

Didn't think it was rushed that she made a concrete decision straight away about her rship status as there was no need to string it out, Zoe knew exactly how they both felt and with the amnesia she needed to make a choice straight away a final decision so to speak.

I thought maybe the Zoe and Wade reunion scene could've been longer with maybe some more angst but there is only so far that can be dragged out when the angst is only coming from Wade.

It seems you're updating your HOD FICs again which I'm happy about as you are an excellant writer and will try to make a better effort of reviewing.
Hodger chapter 29 . 2/2/2015
I read this and a couple of your other stories. I like your style and that you take chances with the characters ,but stay true to who they are. I can visualize Wade, Zoe, and the rest having the conversations you write. I like that you let Magnolia grow up and develop a friendship with Rose.

I agree George needed to be alone for awhile. I like him but he seems to always need to be in a relationship. I missed AB in this story but can understand why she wasn't. The show has made her sad and not as independent as I see her.

Thanks for the great story I really enjoyed the read. :-)
Guest chapter 1 . 1/30/2015
I really love this story, it's one of my very favorites. I'm so sad to see it end but I guess all good things must come to an end eventually. You do such a wonderful job of capturing the characters so I'm looking forward to more from you!
daisesndaffidols chapter 29 . 1/30/2015
Thank you for giving us Second Changes,
If for some reason down the road you would like to give us a Second Changes Sequel.. This reader for one would be thrilled!
cadenf chapter 29 . 1/30/2015
This was a great ending but I really am sad to see it end. Thank you for this story!
KSD17 chapter 29 . 1/30/2015
Ahhhh, loved how you have closure to everyone! So great! Thank you for this story, it's been a great journey :) can't wait too read your other stories and updates soon! You really are talented so I hope you keep it up!
Guest chapter 28 . 1/12/2015
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS STORY TO BITS BUT PLEASE UPDATE
Caskettlover915 chapter 28 . 12/30/2014
This is a great fanficition, keep the good work up.
boo-bear-17 chapter 28 . 12/25/2014
loved this story! :) love a bit of wade/zoe! cant wait for the last chapter