Reviews for Struggling to Keep Going
imtheonlyonly chapter 5 . 8/14
I'm definitely loving this story!
guest chapter 16 . 8/6
I've always been so invested in Ryan and his journey and complex struggles and very invested in his bond with Sandy and how they view one another. Thanks for such a wonderful look at both!
guest chapter 16 . 8/2
Thumbs up. Thanks!
guest chapter 16 . 8/1
I'm so invested in Ryan and his struggle, but also in his burgeoning bond with Sandy and the sad fact that Ryan can't believe anything good can come, last more than the minimum time, or trust. Of course, why should he? In his world, nothing has ever changed for the better no matter how hard he's tried. Time for somehow to change that?
guest chapter 16 . 7/30
Lump in throat. Poor Ryan. He's just a poster child for all kids who've kicked around by people and life. Somehow, he keeps himself together enough to keep going. Still, the vulnerability and the pain are undeniable and heart wrenching. The moments with Sandy are very real and engaging. I'm just so relieved that Ryan isn't as totally alone and bereft as he still feels.

Thanks for the new chapter and for a glimmer of hope for Ryan, however harsh it all is!
guest chapter 16 . 7/26
I was more than a little worried, not that I still don't worry about Ryan, but if he'd made it outside past the security gate, things could have only gotten much, much worse and no one would have cared.

I only hope that if Kirsten is aware of Ryan's attempt to flee that she'll have a change of heart, or at least not insist that Ryan leave ASAP. Sandy is right about the overcrowded, underfunded child welfare system and how Ryan will fall through the cracks. An injured kid is even more at risk.

The emotional tug of war between Ryan and Sandy and what is said and goes unsaid are very poignant and powerful.

Nicely done. Thanks for updating quickly!
guest chapter 16 . 7/25
Great take on Ryan and Sandy both. If you're asking if I'm relieved that Ryan didn't make it away from the house, that's a resounding yes and even better that Sandy was watching and ready.

Thanks and please keep it coming!
Wow! Great chapter!
Oh I love you for coming back to this story. I was on the edge of my seat reading. Ryans pain & turmoil jumps off the page/screen. I just love all his interactions that you create with Sandy. I also loved that little bit about Kirsten wanting Sandy to lock the door but he wouldn't lock Ryan out. Nearly burst into tears there. Great writing, so involved with all the characters I just can't get enough. I do hope you continue on even after this story ends.
So happy to have more so soon again. Thanks!

Very glad that Sandy has good timing, or was anticipating that Ryan might need him somehow, so maybe he was sleeping with an eye open and ear attuned. It definitely shows that Sandy's thinking about Ryan and very concerned.

You capture Ryan's feelings and thoughts very well and make his predicament seem very real, step by step. The meeting out on the street is excellent with the internalizing from them both and the careful pacing with any externals as a result. Ryan's obviously in no shape to be up and around at all. Now Sandy might have to be even more invested as he sees just how much Ryan's sense of trust has been destroyed and how little hope he has or faith in any system or people. Rightly so! If he hadn't protected himself all of his life, no one else would have. He has to give in to Sandy. I know he gives up something, but maybe it's also a positive step? He can maybe hold on to something besides a mental image of Sandy as the one person who was kind to him and see what happens.

Thanks again!
guest chapter 16 . 7/24
Phew! I was nervous that Ryan might get out of the neighborhood and either collapse with no one to help or be an easy target for who knows. At first, I wasn't sure that he'd even get out of bed and stay standing, which says plenty. You describe his state of mind and his physical condition very well, putting them together. Having Sandy leave the door unlocked to give Ryan access just in case is something that I'd hope for. I always wondered if that was the case at first on the show, or if Kirsten locked it. I'm very glad that this Sandy stands his ground and also is so determined to fight for Ryan, who's never had anything close to someone willing to do that.

Back to being relieved, and feeling Sandy's own sadness at Ryan's desperation and the life he's been trapped in.

So happy for the update!
guest chapter 15 . 7/19
Seeing this back up again is a wonderful, most welcome surprise. Back to crying for poor Ryan. Sandy is doing his best, but Kirsten's icy heart needs to melt just a few hundred drops...
You have to finish this story. I am on the edge of my seat. This is the best OC fanfiction I have ever read. Please keep posting
guest chapter 15 . 7/16
Thanks for bringing this one back to life. It's one that I've been hoping for!
guest chapter 15 . 7/14
Thanks for writing again!