Reviews for Toonami: Dead or Alive
Warrior of Virtue chapter 1 . 12/13/2011
I'm sorry it took me this long to find your work. You are a great author. Toonami lives on through people like you.
Obsidian Productions chapter 1 . 12/9/2011
First off, it's great to see you getting back to writing.

And I've got to start off this review by saying I think this is the best one yet. This one turned out excellent. I'm not sure if it's the serious or philosophical nature of the story, but it read better than the others. That is to say, they were also good, but this one is the best so far.

As for your concern of action, or lack thereof, I'd say that you shouldn't worry about it. If anything, this was more interesting than a whole series of action events.

When you get right down to it, text isn't the best medium for telling action stories. I'm not saying it can't be done, or even done well, because Trapped In Hyperspace was well executed. But ultimately I find, in both reading and writing, that non-action scenes are better than action ones.

My wife managed to sum up this sentiment in one sentence: "Story is what happens when you put the guns down."

Now, as for the mechanics of story telling here, it's clear that you've gotten better. Visually, the formatting looks good. Short paragraphs, lots of white space. White space on a page is good from a reader's perspective. Grammatically, there are almost zero mistakes. And the execution of the story flowed almost perfectly.

I think you should have more of these shorter stories in between the longer ones, they serve as great segues.

On a more personal note, if you've read anything of mine, (which I know you have), you know I'm a man who loves his references. I happen to be in love with Cowboy Bebop, and think that Steven Blum made the right choice when he told me it was his favorite role.

And as for the subject matter of the story, it's great. A really deep concept. I thought it was fantastic that now Tom was faced with the exact same philosophical ramifications and life questions that we were. And thought he handled it pretty well.

All around, this was an excellent short story. Again, the best so far. You have a talent, one of which I'm still trying to develop. You make the mundane interesting. That single talent is what affords Stephen King so much of his credibility. With this single short story alone, you've prove that you don't need epic Sci-Fi plots, crazy adventures, aliens or guns or explosions, to make a very interesting read.

So nurture the ability, keep practicing. Make more of these.