Reviews for Foxhole Sonata
1stTimeCaller chapter 4 . 7/1
Everything from the title to the end in this fic is fantastic. Everyone feels very in-character and you portrayed an evil and abhorrent person with such nuances and seduction without undermining his evilness. I really love the whole thing, and Riza's pulling herself back together at the end is just tops, really seals the whole scene off so that it feels like it could have happened in the canon
riverwife chapter 4 . 10/12/2017
I've become curious about the dynamic between Kimblee and Riza after talking to a friend and reading other fan fiction. Truly your piece brings out the dark undercurrent they have; how Kimblee is possesively fascinated with Riza while her fascination is twinged with fear. I love it. Have you considered writing a sequel where Kimblee pays her visit after he is released from prison?
ParrishGranger chapter 1 . 8/6/2017
read some bc of curiosity, but could not continue to 3rd chapter.
ParrishGranger chapter 1 . 8/6/2017
admittedly, I could not read this. I'm very Royai but it was well written, ill give you that. still made me sick to the stomach though.
TheCorpseGarden chapter 4 . 5/7/2015
Amazingly written! Thank you for gracing this site with your fabulous writing!
I really liked how you portrayed Kimbley and Riza. Also, the work you put into your plot was truly great. I hope you'll post more of your work in the future!
BleedingCoffee chapter 4 . 1/1/2015
Absolutely amazing. Your writing is breathtaking and mastery of the characters exquisite. Kimblee is an astoundingly complex character as he's so drenched in truth, philosophy and mischief that he's hard to keep in character but you've done spectacularly! Hawkeye finally gets the spotlight on her own horrors as well and it's quite the ride. Thank you! This was a great read and truly a gift to the Fandom.
wordslinger chapter 4 . 12/31/2014
When I set out to find Riza/Kimblee fic I really wasn't sure what I'd find, moreover I wasn't sure what I wanted beyond angst and regret. Because I can't imagine Riza getting through it with any other bag of feels, to be honest. What you've done here is absolutely the best thing I've read in the fma world. So congratulations you win. Everyone is in character and I believed it. Is this kool aid yours? Because I'm chugging it. Bravo.
Haw-lin chapter 4 . 5/5/2014
That was one, good story! Its so hard to find good fic, really. Sometimes im wondering if im too old for that or what, but then again by accident im finding something like this story! Some line, some plot - charas kept but expanded, oh you are definitely obligated to write something more with this pair:D
deideiblueeyez chapter 4 . 3/26/2014
Goddamn, I forgot how real FMA was in concern to politics and military life. It's like freaking Vietnam. This was soooo good, great, fantastic work!
deideiblueeyez chapter 3 . 3/26/2014
THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

That was so fucking cool.
The Great Susinko chapter 4 . 2/19/2014
This was an excellent psychological thriller. I loved all of it. From Kimblee's machinations to Riza's self incrimination and doubt. Although I do wish she had joined him in the end. I wonder how things would have turned out with her at his side?
esbethwrites chapter 4 . 2/18/2014
Wow. Seriously, WOW. This was such a captivating story to read. I'm sitting here with an utterly satisfied grin, after finishing one of the best pieces of storytelling I've read on this site. Truly, what a treat!

Kimbley - a character so briefly expounded on in the manga/anime, came to life here.
And what's truly shocking, is that the way you wrote him makes the man...bizarrely relate-able. He's a madman in some respects, sure, but in a twisted way, his view of the world makes a lot of sense. Riza is amazingly portrayed here as well. You've captured her turmoil, her innocence, her cynicism, her naivete, her strength, and weakness. Ugh, SO good. I never thought a Kimbley/Riza fic would even be remotely possible, but dear God, this story makes it feel like canon.

Seriously, can't thank you enough for writing this amazing story!
Calumen chapter 1 . 7/14/2012
I just wanted to let you know something; I am hopelessly taken by your ability to turn a phrase.

You've got me twisted up in knots by this story, hopelessly so. I wonder about what glorious imagination you must possess, both the conceive this idea (a feat which any relatively smart individual with half a cerebellum could do...Don't take that the wrong way. I just mean, even *I*, who lacks any real talent at writing, had the idea of Kimblee and Riza cross my mind. But I also actively seek out the oddest pairings I can. I digress; don't be offended.) but you not only conceived the idea, you brought it to life.

For being named after the Death-Bringer, you certainly breathed into this story. I have never, and I do not say this as lightly as I have in the past, have never, read a story of this caliber before. Ever. Period.

You chose the name of a Fury (I find this ironic), but you are more like a Muse. (Can I get any cornier? Feel free to scoff at my flowery language and poetic waxing, for I am simply a loquacious son-of-a-mother-...)

I just, I wish I could convey to you how very, very much I loved this story. You've captured the personality of a character who is so fleeting (Kimblee) and who's essence was so fractured by the dichotomy of two animes and a manga that not even I felt I could get a grip on him. And yet, as the creator once said she based Kimblee off of the protagonist of "A Clockwork Orange", a book I have read, all I can say is I am deeply, DEEPLY, impressed by you.

Because you did just that. The protagonist of that tale aligns so perfectly with Kimblee, especially the love of music you convey, and how both characters see classical music in their violence... To be honest, your characterization of Kimblee alone would be enough to hook me in this story, but you did more!

You brought in Riza Hawkeye, a character that so many authors before you have nearly ruined for me. Whereas nearly every person I've read before you has written her as horribly skewed, either to the bad, the good or the indifferent, you struck the perfect chord that I always wanted from her.

You wrote her as I saw her when I read the manga, and when I watched the anime. You did something that is very hard to do in regards to characters; you managed to show them without pictures to help you. You made her actions believable, her reactions spot on, and made me see her as more than just Roy Mustang's pawn-queen. (Don't get me wrong, I love Mustang as much as the next, but seriously? She's not his lapdog.)

And your writing is beautiful. Plain and simple, I can speak no plainer. Gorgeous in its structure, you hit the perfect balance between sweeping poetics and razor sharp details. After rereading this story several times, I can honestly say (in my opinion) that there is not one extraneous line in this story.

You didn't drag it out with useless, overly pretty words (kinda like how this review is? -_-) but you put every last thing in that needed to be there to make this a great story. God, I wish I could write like this.

I really do.

It's so pretty, and so razor sharp, cutting right to the point of the story, giving the reader everything they need without boring them to death.

I'm no longer making sense, am I?

Alas, alas. Look, I just wanted to tell you now, after rereading this maybe ten or fifteen times (and this is my first time reviewing it? I really kind of fail.) that your story is magnificent. I love it, have recommended it to several friends, and could probably go on for several more paragraphs about it.

Well done. :)
Fatal Mars chapter 4 . 3/20/2012
Oh my that was sickening! I am in awe of your skill. I was disturbed by how dark it is and FMA has some dark moments, but you have mastered dark and eloquent. I love Riza pre-Ed, because she is a more human character. There's not a lot of information on her in that form, but I am sure you captured her essence just right in this. While I never thought I would see myself love anything other than Royai I can definitely say I enjoyed the hell out of this.

And of course Kimblee was the shit. I loved his character. He is in my top 5 of favorite villains. Others be Malificient, Griffith, Eugile and Gin. But I am getting off track anyways I love his calculating nature and his disregard for feelings. But yet he feels in a way that is sickening to society, but its so lovely to read. I loved reading this it was so freaking beautiful.

I loved the little things like Riza's horror at doing it on dead peoples bed. But still not enough horror to stop. I am eating this up. I am in love. Kimblee is my second favorite after Miles, which is his polar opposite. And my tip top being Olivier the shero!

I can't put into words how much I loved this but I did and even though I was wary at first since I never in a million years thought this pairing would work even if they were drunk. But it did and I am glad I took the time to read it!
One percent chapter 4 . 3/20/2012
This was surprising in a very VERY pleasing way. You found a way to make me feel the turmoil going through Risa and her broken "hopes". That was very well orchestrated. It made me have a completely different view of the first and second chapters.

But I did not love this story just because of its awesome plot and daring pairing but because you are also a word wizard. This story has the most beautiful wording of the site. You really made me feel delighted. I really wish more authors had your talent!

... No, scratch that wish. Your exquisite talent is what makes you exceptional!

Please write more! You've got yourself a dedicated fan here!