Reviews for Krait book 10a The Wolves of Prince Peak
Gardengirl6 chapter 16 . 1/4/2012
What, exactly, is fagging? I'm hoping it isn't what it sounds like, which would be volunteering to be a... erm... sodomite-ee. Oh, it's just being a sort of valet?

*snickers* good to know that 'boffing' translates cross-ocean!

LOVE Morgana turning the examiner into a fiddle! Hilarious :)

Twiddly bits - ha ha ha ha ha! And spanking Gerhart - literally - just what he deserves, the naughty little brat.

Hurray, great story - on to 10B now :)
Gardengirl6 chapter 15 . 1/4/2012
Sheesh - prejudiced AND mercenary? What a lovely combination. I bet he kicks cats, too.

So... treating others with respect is insanity? That's pathetic.

Whassa 'brockenbow'?

Just LOVE Severus's telling-off of Grindlewald! I've shouted much the same at my XH from time to time, and it's doubly satisfying knowing he only gets about half of what I've flung at him.

"a disaster waiting to become a catastrophe" - LOVE!
Gardengirl6 chapter 14 . 1/4/2012
Good for David, increasing the local goat flock by one! I'm becoming an ever greater fan of the goat myself.

Guzzle to zorch - did you make that up? I'm guessing it means from intake (guzzle consume) to output (zorch fart, maybe?)

Ellie as an animal... well, I'm sure she can go wild at him if he provokes her sufficiently! What a closed-minded jerk - but we knew that already.
Gardengirl6 chapter 13 . 1/4/2012
Oh my goodness - I love this premise! But I'm confused - how did he Google hippogriff? Wouldn't it return only fantasy results? And 'Sits. Vac.' doesn't really translate for us 'Merc'ns - footnote time again, perhaps...

I'm gathering you didn't much care for Mr. Blair - 'had a wife like that and probably deserved her' indeed - LOL!

And I'm goggling at Jocelyn being a man's name. It's firmly a woman's name here - I sing with a lady by that name.

Kids with SAS/Falklands looks - very nice descriptions.

What's the etymology of 'lumme'? I don't know that one, but it's obviously an interjection of some kind.

Looking forward to more from Jones. SUCH a clever idea!
Gardengirl6 chapter 12 . 1/1/2012
Oh good heavens, Morgana does have a feverish imagination, doesn't she? And she thinks rather a bit of herself! Attract Lucius Malfoy's attention, eh? Riiiiiiiight. That should be entertaining!

Jade is going to infiltrate Odessa? That's crazy! So of course she'll manage it. Gee whiz. This should get interesting-er and soon.

Is it 'quaite naice' of Jade to poke at Hellibore like that? Oh - right - it's always fair game to stick a pin into a hot-air filled balloon, isn't it?
Gardengirl6 chapter 11 . 1/1/2012
Jade's almost got it right - it's the Energizer bunny, not the Duracell bunny!

The "prophet" had piles... LOL! You might want to make note that 'piles' is hemorrhoids, by the way - piles isn't a term most Americans would recognize.

Sending to Coventry is another expression that doesn't really translate. I gather it means shunning, but that's just a guess.

Didn't he cut up rucky? I can't suss that one out at all, girlfriend. You've managed to stump me!

That Rory is quite self-possessed, isn't he? Not flustered at all, and gets his priorities straight - no slugs, no bats, and may we fly, please!
Gardengirl6 chapter 10 . 1/1/2012
Oh, Lynx. One would think that with charms and potions, pregnancy would be rather easier to prevent in the wizarding world. But then again, teenagers are teenagers everywhere. I hope the crackers help her; they didn't do squat for me, at least not with the boys. Wasn't nearly as sick with the girls, though.

Julian's a sensible one at least! Hang tight and eat ice cream - good ideas for any situation.

I guess even goblins shall honor their father and their mother. Good on Jade for offering a sensible and caring idea.

That Morgana is a right shrew, isn't she? Bad idea, little bratling, to be so obnoxious! I foresee things going badly for her. Ooh, not half a page later and it's going very badly indeed! Stupid, vain, obnoxious, self-satisfied baggage, she is.

Model railways... we have miles and miles of blue plastic Thomas the Tank Engine track here, and a couple of dozen battery-powered Island of Sodor trains. My Dad had Lionel trains; I think my brother has the plywood sheet with the tracks affixed, though I don't know where it is. Fun times!
Gardengirl6 chapter 9 . 12/30/2011
Bumps on logs are so tiresome! I'm glad the Fraulein is going to go have to interact with reality now.

Kreacher having an affair with a kitchen elf at Hogwarts! See, this is the kind of storytelling that makes it all just FUN. Thanks for that!
Gardengirl6 chapter 8 . 12/30/2011
Remind me what Sandalla's Malfoy connections are, please?

Ah, we return to the notion of the difference between an accident and an on-purpose. Sounds like this turd richly deserves the on-purpose! Thrown clear and not missed indeed.

A good NCO is a treasure beyond words. I was privileged to have a few who worked with/for me, and I was never shy to tell them how great they and their work were.

I've been confused for a while about this 'upper sixth' and 'lower sixth' thing. Where are the seventh years? I'd be grateful if you could clarify
Gardengirl6 chapter 7 . 12/30/2011
"It was narrow and precipitate and looked unsafe so of course they all promptly went down it." - ah, I see you've met my daughter...

"ate their tea" - that's one that just doesn't translate here. I know what it means, but for this side o' the pond, tea is a liquid, not a meal or an event!

Aw, Rev. Awdry! We LOVE the Thomas books here - had to get an authentic set off an Irish family, though - American ones call him Sir Topham Hatt instead of the Fat Controller - back to 'never use words that actually mean anything' like fat.
Gardengirl6 chapter 6 . 12/30/2011
Professor Bekard was quite a quidditch player too; and the school was quietly roused by Sylvia Hubble to go watch some of the professors having a knockabout match; David, Byron Bekard, Ron, Percy, Lee, Severus and Krait being the ones playing, enough for one team. - I'm confused here - is Lee Nuffield with them now? I thought he was at Rowan House. Or is it Lee Jordan?

Love how Severus is buying local! What a trend-setter, that one :)

Charcoal burners? Not sure if that's an object, a person, or a profession. Help, please? Nice touch, though, being led to that jerk. He definitely needed his throat ripped out.
Gardengirl6 chapter 5 . 12/28/2011
Heh, Hogwarts children fight erklings because it's fun - that's a brain-bender for the Deutscher fraulein! So very many things she needs to learn if she wishes to progress to Human.
Gardengirl6 chapter 4 . 12/28/2011
Young limb - that's another one that hasn't made the crossing. I like it, though. Nice to see Maud's brother here - I hope he's as much fun as she is.
Gardengirl6 chapter 3 . 12/28/2011
I LIKE Jade's way of taking care of trouble, and I'm with Hermione - mess with my children, and watch the heck out.

And Draco as Han Solo? Delicious!

Looking for flowers? Were they little white flowers?

The ingenuity of daughters indeed. Mine are quite a pair themselves!
Gardengirl6 chapter 2 . 12/28/2011
Didn't want to use wands on them... too easy... Great!

"If we got her here to safety would you then tell us where to find her to rescue her?" You lost me here. How can we find her to rescue her if we've already got her here to safety?

What's a gymslip, and does Chalet School refer to something in particular? I think I might be missing a reference here. And the notion of shorts as old-fashioned - another cross-ocean problem? Of course, almost no schools here do uniforms at all, so maybe we just see shorts as a weather choice when it turns hot.

Effete elitist effluent - ah, the old Germanic forms still entrance us, don't they? My children knew about alliterations from about the age of 3.