Reviews for Taking Charge
This is such a brilliant story, so full of original ideas. I think i've probably read all the really good HP stories as I've been immersed for several years now and was beginning to think I'd either have to give up or re-read from the beginning, but your story has been such a great find! Thanks so much for sharing. I've enjoyed a lot of your shorter stories too.
Osmodious chapter 30 . 5/7
Fun story...a great 'what might have been'. I like several of the ideas in here...the wand being such an influence, for example. Anyway, it was a very enjoyable read, thanks for posting!
missgsmith51 chapter 30 . 5/2
As you say in your summary, that's the way things should have gone, had everyone been acting in the best interests of the students. Of course, everything was helped along by the wisdom of Samuel - who was not afraid to speak the truth and take the necessary actions - and the destruyof the Elder wand. Albus's brain clearing enabled him to actually become the person he had tried to make people think he was for so many years.

I truly enjoyed your story. Thanks for an upbeat one. I needed it.
missgsmith51 chapter 28 . 5/2
Uh-oh. I wonder who the portrait is. If it is hearing Parseltongue, then it must be Slytherin. Is he going to let Riddle in on the new way of doing things? Is Riddle going to sic the Basilisk on the school? Will it refuse to kill or petrify anyone?
missgsmith51 chapter 26 . 5/2
So the Bloody Baron was a Gaunt, eh? No wonder Voldy figured out the Slytherin heritage so quickly. Well, with the Dementors gone, Voldemort's potential for wreaking death and destruction across the country just decreased significantly. The Werewolves seem to be living safe and productive lives, so they aren't likely to want to join up. Now, the Vampires need to be convinced to steer clear of Voldy. That should really help.
missgsmith51 chapter 24 . 5/2
Interesting that Fudgie only believes Death Eaters.

I really like the fact that DEs are fighting back against Moldyshorts, and some are even using Muggle methods (the shovel in the face). Maybe he will feel so unwanted that he'll sneak off somewhere and die. We can always hope.
missgsmith51 chapter 23 . 5/2
The elusive Crumple-Horned Snorkack finally makes an appearance! Too bad it didn't happen at Hogwarts. Luna's life would be much less harsh. Perhaps your Luna will bring the critter with her, as it is her familiar.

LOL at Riddle being frightened off by a CHS!
missgsmith51 chapter 22 . 5/2
Well, it looks as though Harry and Neville are able to look past their hurts and comfort Hermione, now that she needs it. I wonder how she feels about having Draco for a cousin? On the other side, she also gets Tonks! Hmmm. Will Draco apologize for calling her a Mudblood?

Rabastan seems to genuinely regret his life and "service" to Voldemort. I hope he stays that way. I wonder if any of the other incarcerated DEs feel as he does.

It looks as though, with Hermione's inheritance, another Horcrux is about to be discovered. That will make the Diadem, the Locket, the Diary (it sounds as though Lucius handed it over), and, potentially, the Cup. Harry's scar has already been sorted, right? (Reading too many of these stories in a day can have the side effect of mixing up and misremembering, especially if the same author wrote all of them.) And Voldy still has the ring. Can it be reused? I don't know. Nagini hasn't been mentioned.
missgsmith51 chapter 21 . 5/2
"Honestly, you cut off a man's leg and he holds a grudge forever. He still had another one." Great line, even if it was only to himself!

Yeay for Remus. If anyone deserves some happiness, he does. Alas, with "the menace lurking in the dark," I fear for his happiness and his life. The Menace is going to want to start causing chaos soon. One big question is whether those like Lucius, who have changed, can hold out against him. Another is whether enough of his brutal, hardcore, Inner Circle - like the Lestranges, Rookwood, Macnair - are still alive and willing to serve him. If his Inner Circle no longer exists, can he finally be taken down ... especially without his "anchors"? Will Harry still have to do it?
missgsmith51 chapter 20 . 5/2
So HE has come back early. Ugh! Well, that takes care of another Horcrux, unless it can be re-used. Lucius does seem to be thinking more and with an eye to a safer future for everyone and not just himself. I hope he can stand against Moldy and the other DEs, because I think it will be tough on him.
missgsmith51 chapter 19 . 5/2
Albus seems uncharacteristically non-manipulative these days. I do hope that is a permanent side-effect of the destruction of the Elder wand and not something that will eventually wear off.

I feel rather sorry for Theo, as he seems not only to be tainted by his father's disgusting proclivities but also to have suffered from some of them. I hope he and his sister are able to be kept safe from those who would seek to take revenge on them for their father's crimes.

It was nice to see Harry even briefly. I'm glad he is finally making more friends. I've often wondered whether he might have done so if he'd been sorted into Hufflepuff instead of Gryffindor ... or if Ron had been sorted into a different house and couldn't monopolize his time and attention. I like seeing him make friends in every house.
missgsmith51 chapter 9 . 5/2
I wonder whether Albus will have Harry take the Inheritance test. According to the Harry Potter Lexicon (info taken from Pottermore), Linfred of Stinchcombe "earned himself the nickname 'the Potterer', which ultimately became the surname Potter" in the 12th century. His son Hardwin married into the Peverell family, and that is how the Invisibility Cloak came into the Potter line. So Harry is at least a descendant of the Peverells. If the Gaunts were truly descended from Cadmus Peverell, this would link Harry to them ... and Voldemort. Poor Harry will probably have a stroke if he learns that! I have a feeling these tests will set the Kneazle among the Puffskeins!

I like the new faculty lineup.
missgsmith51 chapter 7 . 5/2
Well, that was ... horrific. I suppose the 64,000 galleon question - or one of them - is whether this incident will change Lucius and Draco for the better or worse. Will Draco blame it all on Harry, as he usually does when things go awry for him?
missgsmith51 chapter 6 . 5/2
Interesting. The Elder wand did all of that, huh? It made him the walking embodiment of bad judgment? Too bad he was in possession of it the night Sibyl delivered her prophecy. I have always wondered why he didn't simply stun Severus, remove the memory completely, and destroy it. He knew Sev was a DE, and he knew he would blab the prophecy to Voldy. If ever there were a just reason for a super-duper version of Obliviation, I'd say that was it.

I have always assumed Snape was sent on his merry way in order to set up the Potters and Longbottoms as targets. Dumbledore wanted to end the war, and he was not averse to sacrificing six innocent lives to do it. By letting someone else do the dirty deed(s) - and then he himself taking out the killer(s) - he could pretend there would be no innocent blood on his hands. That, no doubt, was the same stupid reason he had the Order fighting AKs, Confringo, Sectumsempra, and Reducto with Protego, Stupefy, stinging hex, and Incarcerus ... because he was either a pacifist or an idiot. (When one is supposed to be leading his troops in a war, most would say the first IS the second.)

Well, it will be interesting to see how Snape deals. BTW, I hope Dumbledore has given Harry the major apology he owes him for the abuse he has endured from Snape as well as the Dursleys.
Snowball1982 chapter 30 . 4/29
Thank you for the story. It was really good and very original. Snowball