Reviews for Rough Diamond
Rrund chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
This was just great. You really caught the flavor of the nineteenth century letter writer in Henrietta's letters. The interaction between Jess and Henrietta was great and the evolving relationship was nicely crafted. thanks for sharing.
Pippa chapter 1 . 12/23/2011
Absolutely dead on. Great story.
kayaklady chapter 1 . 12/21/2011
1870’s English wasn’t the same as it is today but you have managed to capture the tone and meter perfectly. You also have a marvelous feel for the cultural histories and survival tactics of the era. My personal favorite was where you incorporated the phrase “to give the lie.”

I’d happily recommend this story to anyone how enjoyed the language of True Grit. It is a lovely mix of Victorian English and American Western Frontier.
Nana56 chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
What an awesome fic! A truly inspired type of adventure. I think the lady would have been better off heading out there in July. I've been there in the fall and the weather can be 'unpredictable'. lol

Wonderful description of Jess from an English Lady's POV. Love the way her perception changed as she got to know him.

I'm very sad that she didn't get to see Yellowstone and found myself wishing that she'd stay somewhere for the winter and make the attempt again in the late spring.

Very nicely done, my dear. Thanks so much for sharing. :)
kip chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
I loved this! What a clever way to tell a story! You managed to capture what we love about Jess and Slim in words painted by an outsider. Your descriptions are wonderful, too. A very nice holiday surprise. Thank you for sharing!
Cruelest Sea chapter 1 . 12/15/2011
"Such a gentle outlaw! He takes such pains for everyone but himself and in his care of me has shown a chivalry and tender-heartedness rare in most men but especially so in one who has known only the roughest of associations."

Such a beautiful and apt description of Jess. Lovely story.
Fortitudine chapter 1 . 12/12/2011
Fixed it.
tafizgurl chapter 1 . 12/12/2011
Couldn't go on to bed, noooo, had to check my e-mail one more time. Another gem, with my darlin' Jess front and center ("whom many young women could love but no sane one would marry" - I love that), and I will probably have more to say after I've (slept and) reread it.

Is it a FF weirdness that keeps italicizing words and running them together? This isn't the first time I've seen it.