Reviews for Heart of Gold
vainintrain chapter 1 . 1/8/2014
The reason why I read this is very cliché: I live in Montreal. But I wasn't deceived at all.
It was truthful, peaceful and delightful. Luna was very realistic (which is not the case in many fics), and I liked the fact it was told from Rolf's point of view (I looooved Rolf).
virtualcupcakes chapter 1 . 9/28/2013
Ahhhh so cute I could die :)
Russia Tashi Lupin chapter 1 . 6/23/2013
I feel as though you caught the two of them and how they would interact with each other very well.
sangkar chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
This is just so sweet and feelsy - I am very much a HarryLuna shipper, but this was just amazing. At first I didn't like LunaRolf because, well, they were never even mentioned together in canon.

But this fic made me realize that it doesn't even /matter/ because people can just make stuff up and this fic actually works /better/ without Luna and Rolf being friends or even acquaintances before the war. And Rolf's age makes a lot of sense, too.

The one thing I didn't like about this was Rolf; he seemed a bit of a typecast, a predictable character. But then again, all characters seem somewhat alike and predictable when they fall in love, don't they? His infatuation with Luna was cute and sweet, but not particularly fresh.

Luna's characterization was spot-on, though, and I think I might like this Luna even better than the canon one. -murdered- She's just gorgeous here, as a character, and I'm pretty sure, by Rolf's descriptions, as a physical being.

Your grammar is mostly fine but I spotted one recurring error through the fic:

["Oh?" He replies, his voice catching slightly.]

I'm pretty sure the H in he doesn't need to be capitalized, despite the fact that there was a question mark at the end of the previous sentence. I /have/ seen this being done by many other authors many times, though, so it might just be a matter of opinion.

Your descriptions were lovely - not too much, but when you /did/ describe things, it was in a very poetic and vivid manner. And I really really liked that you kept the descriptiveness toned down, so I pretty much didn't notice when a particularly pretty sentence floated out of the fic, like it was completely natural.

The tone was really well-set. The fact that Luna and Rolf are talking about their lives to each other is not really a very original idea, but you did it in such a way that it worked very well, and the things that they went through (especially Luna) in canon helped a lot.

One thing I would've liked to have seen more of in their dialogue would be a little more discussion about nature; they seemed very philosophical and mature and grown-up in this fic to the point bordering absurdity, which made it slightly unnatural and awkward. And we know that they both have a love for plants and animals and nature (well, Luna; we just know Rolf's related to the writer of a book which I have conveniently forgotten. xD), and a little more casual, lighthearted talk would've - if possible - made this fic even better than it already is.

These are some of my favourite lines:

[Rolf thinks that it's a very sad thing to know that some people can take to you the wrong way simply because you're yourself.]

Because I'm sure many people can agree with it, and the way you wrote it was just so simple but delicate.

["The shadows are moving," she tells him, pointing to the glass. "You can tell it's soft, not like rain. We would be able to hear rain." Her fingers trace obscure patterns on the window as her breath fogs the surface.]

["Taking risks, fighting when you can run away, making snap decisions, diving into the deep end when you know you can't swim; that's living. And what's the point of saving a life if it's not being lived?"]

These two are those sort of lines when you just want to read them again and again and again and whisper them in the dark just because they sound cool, yet you don't even know what they're really even supposed to /mean/. xD Which is possibly why they're just so magical.

I really liked the way you began and ended this fic, and each section; it's something I never seem to be able to pull of nicely. Dx Which is probably why I'm so very envious of these lines:

[He meets her on a train to Quebec, of all places.]

[He smiles at her and she smiles dreamily back.]

["I'm not a hero," she tells him with a wave of her pale hand. "Simply a little bit heroic." He laughs, but her face is almost grave, rivalling her light tone.

"In some ways, aren't we all?" He answers, and this time, she does smile.]

["The mind is a brilliant thing," she tells him, seemingly going off track. But she continues, "Brilliant, but cold. It does not have feelings; much like a Blibbering Humdinger, I suspect. So no, I don't mind."]

["When I was young, my grandfather used to read me his book. I grew up on Magical Beasts and Where To Find Them." ]

["So, you chose Quebec, of all places?"

"I haven't been there yet."]

- I just realized I'm probably going to end up quoting every single beginning and ending line of every section, so I'll stop here. xD But I really do love each and every one of them, they just fit in /so darn well/.

I loved reading this very much. This is possibly the first fic that has made me ditch HarryLuna and ship LunaRolf. &hearts Great job! :)
valici chapter 1 . 1/14/2013
I love this. And my review is going to be completely redundant because I have nothing else to say except I love this.

And I really, really like the way you portrayed Luna. I generally tend to ship Luna with a variety of characters but never Rolf but this story's changed that and asdfghjkl this is so cuuuute, thank you.
irmelonlord chapter 1 . 12/27/2012
It's absolutely gorgeous. Can I just say that? Luna/Rolf is one of my very favourite pairings but I find it difficult to find good Luna/Rolf so I was delighted to find this. A gem of a fic; amazing job!
we have teeth chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
"Some people are just unhinged, aren't they? For no apparent reason. Just as some are kind, and some are cruel, and some are perfect beyond belief. Maybe insanity, like these, is just a state of mind. But it's one which I have yet to venture."
"My grandfather is... a great man. He's difficult, insulting and maybe a little past his time, but a great man."

"I'm afraid that that's true to a lot of people," she replies, looking down at her hands, crossed delicately on her silvery robes. "Heroes never do seem the type to be worshiped, do they?"
But to let the heart rule over the brain is to let a Gryffindor, however noble, rule over a Slytherin.
It is. I had a friend once, named after the two twins of Rome, Romulus and Remus. He was a werewolf. It was all horribly fitting, don't you think? His second name was Lupin, as well, which is wolf in Latin.
"To see the dark rolling in, you've got to close your eyes. Don't underestimate the power of lies, as the dark comes rolling in."
"Loss is a fickle thing," she tells him. "It only takes one moment, one slip up to lose someone... but I always find that there are banana skins all over this floor."
Wow. I really can't say much to this, except give you those little areas of the story I found especially beautiful.
The characterization was great (The beauty about minor characters like Rolf is that you can sort of create your own idea of how they act.), the grammar was great, the prose was just beautiful– almost poetic, even.
There's this sort of idyllic sense about the story. A calm. It's beautiful, and fits in the story oh, so nicely.
Simply put, amazing.
Annabeth137 chapter 1 . 8/28/2012
aww...I just love Luna
Coaloki chapter 1 . 3/31/2012
I love this story! You've captured Luna's personality perfectly, and she's just the slightest bit more mature that you can tell this is years after Hogwarts. The words were beautiful and fit together perfectly... I love the part about the dark rolling in! My favourite part was this:

-"I think it's snowing outside," Luna says, looking out of the black window.

"How can you tell?" Rolf asks, looking out of the window also. He can't see anything out of it, just the slightly shimmering reflection of himself in the surface of the window.

"The shadows are moving," she tells him, pointing to the glass. "You can tell it's soft, not like rain. We would be able to hear rain." Her fingers trace obscure patterns on the window as her breath fogs the surface.-

Great, great story, keep writing!

Coaloki
Georgia Shaw chapter 1 . 3/30/2012
Hi, our dancing days,

you asked me to write in a review why I 'favourited' 'Heart of Gold', and, well, here is why:

1. Grammar-I am a spelling-crazy person, and unlikely to even bother reading a fanfic if the writing isn't at least semi-legible. I can't remember seeing any mistakes in 'Heart of Gold'.

2. The prose is almost poetic, and very nice to read.

3. You know those stories that, after having read them, you feel sort of different? Happy, maybe, sad, or strangely calm and/or totally content? This is one of those stories.

4. Plot/dialogue-wise, there is never a dull moment. Each scene is at a perfect length, and there are no extraneous bits hanging around-ergo, I don't have to skim or skip any passages. :)

5. Your portrayal of Luna, like the other reviewers said, is pretty much spot-on.

6. To tell you the truth, I can't really think of anything I disliked about it.

I don't know what else to write at the moment, so I guess I'll finish with this:

To anybody who, like me, reads the reviews to check if a 'Fic is at all worth reading, take note: this is a beautiful little short story, and it is in much need of some love. I definitely recommend reading it! (and leaving a detailed review for the author ;) )
lunynha chapter 1 . 3/29/2012
luna ...you are so kawai

and rolf too
thlove chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Awww! I'm slightly confused, but very happy! Thanks for writing it!
Whillenwolf chapter 1 . 12/29/2011
I love Luna. :D
lunylovegoodlover chapter 1 . 12/13/2011
Luna is my favorite character EVER, but I can never write her for fear I'll mess her up. You captured her perfectly.
rainydaydreams chapter 1 . 12/13/2011
And this. Beautiful. Wow. How do you do this?