Reviews for Contes de sorcières
Ivy Rangee chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
I am not fluent in French, but I know enough to guess at the title, 'Countess of Sorcery'. Thus intrigued, I put this story through Google translate with some pretty hysterical results. Apparently, Google has trouble with French pronouns, so poor Heathcliff, as it turns out, loved his mother with very unfortunate results. Shades of Oedipus.

The distortions of Google translate aside, I was able to figure out the story, which I enjoyed. It reminded me a bit of the anime, Full Metal Alchemist, which I think is a good fit with Wuthering Heights or Hurlevent which Google translated as Stormwind. It would be great if you could find someone to translate it and so do your style justice.

That said, and though I do think Heathcliff treated her unjustly, young Catherine is not, to me, a likable character. In fact, I see her as just another member of the narcissist club. But I do agree with you that she was inspired by her mother and Heathcliff's rebellion against Hindley. Perhaps, young Catherine found the same book Lockwood did and got the idea from what older Cathy wrote in the margins.

In any case, her mother's spirit did speak to her and you have put that into an interesting and clever metaphor. It is not farfetched to me that alchemical books would be available at the Heights, and perhaps it is for that reason Heathcliff did not want readers about - they might do what you have young Catherine doing.

In regard to Hareton, who aside from Heathcliff, I believe is the only other decent human being in the story. Remember that he was deserted by older Cathy and Ellen Dean with disastrous results, see his treatment of Ellen when she tries to visit in a fit of nostalgia over Hindley. However, in the end, brought up by Heathcliff, Hareton turned out very well.

One last comment, Wuthering Heights or Hurlevent is about so much more than young love gone awry, and one of those themes is gossip and the narrow views of those who engage in it. After all, wiser people know better then to talk about things they know nothing about. However, it is this aspect of the book that allows so much scope for the imagination.