Reviews for To be a King once more
Stormwhite chapter 1 . 4/23
Maugan y u no continue this story REEEEEEEE
ChizomenoHime chapter 26 . 4/22
OMG, this story is so good! To start from a random idea as you say, 'what if it wasn't the Gotei that did that thing with the glowing sword?' and arrive here is really epic! I'm beyond frustrated and sad you haven't worked on this since 2012, but here's to hoping you'll pick it up again! Keres is one of the best concepts I've ever seen for Kenpachi's zanpakuto, kinda scary to see how somehow you were pretty dead on target with the manga... I mean, Keres is of the Berserker type, as well as inspiring others to embrace the bloodlust to crazy levels. I love how you write Kenpachi - him questioning his obsession with combat was golden - and I honestly can't wait to see how things will go between him, Yachiru and his jealous sword...
Of course, that's only one of the many things to look forward to in that admittedly convoluted plot. Let's see how much I remember after blazing my way with gusto through this story in one day:
- Ichigo's main plotline, settling into Seretei and apparently discreetly plotting for the throne, with clouds on the horizon with the reformation of Central 46.
- Gin's play in the shadows, seemingly supporting Ichigo's bid to royalty but not to be trusted... Last seen at Grimmjow's bedside with an ominous statement in the air... Don't hurt kitty-chan!
- Mayuri's 'execution', with Nemu (I think it's her?) who just attacked our beloved Haribel and hinted at some hidden plan of the late captain (that demotion and following sentencing by Yamamoto was BADASS. Seriously). Uryu, beware...
- Kenpachi's zanpakuto/family crisis... Which oddly enough could work pretty well with canon if you ignore one thing here and there. I mean, I already have a pretty clear picture of what Keres looks like... A murderous angel? Me-thinks Tite Kubo already provided us with the ultimate wolf in sheep's clothing.
And that's all for the main plotlines... With on top the problem of introducing Espadas to daily life in Seretei, romances/friendships here and there, and pretty much rebuilding from scratch Squad 5. All of this written in a beautiful style that makes the story flow beautifully. Ichigo (and you) has his work cut out for him, but I feel like it'd be really worth the effort! Hint hint: please continue this fic, it'll be so worth it to see this gem completed!
einargs chapter 3 . 4/10
While this chapter serves more as an interlude, the events it depicts help to develop a previously established tension. As mentioned previously, Ichigo's restoration by Gin and Grimmjow suggests his "acceptance" by them.

This chapter shows that the Gotei 13 still consider Ichigo important, that though there is no symbolic declaration of support it is still there.

However, aside from that, this chapter has flaws. Perhaps the biggest one is the frankly absurd number of Shinigami dropped on Karakura Town. It is unfortunately common for authors to reach for large numbers when trying to convey the importance of something-a frequent cause of the "Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale" trope-and this would seem to be one of those situations.

Despite this, it is an admittedly awesome scene. The problem is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, and even within the context of the interlude itself it's more of a peripheral detail than a central focus.

In reflection, the chapter seems a solid seven out of ten; good, but with a few flaws that detract from the experience (at least personally).
einargs chapter 2 . 4/10
This chapter resolves the tension between Gin's actions and the story's summary while still leaving questions about why and how. How has Gin acquired the blade? How has he survived? These and other questions flit through the reader's mind, keeping them occupied and focused. Next, Grimmjow's presence forces them to both expand their existing questions and introduce new ones. They wonder if there are other Espada members, and if so how they have all managed to survive. They speculate as to the methods behind the creation of the sword; perhaps a larger group worked together to forge their own copy?

The symbolism behind the blade cannot be ignored either. In canon, when Rukia stabbed Ichigo with the blade containing reiatsu from the Shinigami captains and lieutenants, it signified their acceptance and support. They had each contributed some of their own energy, their own soul, to revive Ichigo and bring back his powers. This is emphasized by the way that this resolves the parallels between Ichigo and Kujo as Substitute Shinigami. Ichigo is different, because he was able to change Seireitei and gain their support, which is what allows him to triumph over Kujo.

It is against this background that we must consider the actions of Gin and Grimmjow. Rather than being restored to power by the Gotei 13, Ichigo is instead empowered by what seem to be remnants of the Espada. This is significant because it not only means that they have decided to support Ichigo in at least some fashion, but also because it means that they have chosen to *accept* him.

This tension spills over into a number of other contrasts that are central to Bleach. Hollow vs. Shinigami; Instinct vs. Training; Nature vs. Nurture; all of these are impacted. Moreover, because this is the story's divergence point, we can assume that it is going to be important going forward.
einargs chapter 1 . 4/10
This chapter serves exceedingly well as the prologue. It does a good job of establishing the tone, and effortlessly succeeds at grabbing the reader's attention. The contrast between the actions displayed within and the posted story summary drags you in, making you want to find out how the two are reconciled.

Moving on, the pacing and description is handled very well. The imagery is focused, describing only that which is currently relevant to the reader's interest. This works very well with the tension of the reader, the desire to read on and find out more. Additionally, the languid tone and focused nature helps to emphasize the contrasting duality of Ichimaru's nature and the way that it expresses itself in the scene.

Taken altogether, this chapter definitely fulfills its role as a prologue; a solid eight-point-five out of ten.
lulue79 chapter 26 . 3/22
This is one of the best damn story on this fandom! Thank you for writing! I truly enjoyed it!
brnkofeternity06 chapter 26 . 1/21
This is an AMAZING story! I can only hope that you'll continue on with it :D

I've loved it all so far :D Can't wait for your next update!
Nitmi chapter 1 . 12/22/2016
gods! this is such a great hook chapter! I love it!
travelqueen124 chapter 26 . 9/15/2016
Loved the twists and turns... Hopefully that flowchart helps and the muse speaks to you agian about this story. I really want to see what happens when ichigo finds out about toshiro and karin, amoung other things.
Yume2822 chapter 12 . 5/20/2016
wanderingmusician chapter 1 . 4/20/2016
Haha omg you hooked me with the end of chapter 1.
Momma Lici chapter 26 . 1/11/2016
I hope to see this finished one day! It's amazing, wonderful character concepts while keeping them IN character... I have all these suppositions and ideas and I really want to know...!
neveryears chapter 5 . 12/9/2015
Ohhhhh-M-G! Ichigo's death was so moving! I was all sniffle this is gonna be so blipperly-diculously epic!...

And then...spacecadets. Everyone turns into a flipping spacecadet. What am I even reading? Like, I get that shounen heroes are freaking absurd to begin with, okay? And I'm totally not going to debate #shounen-logic or any of its derivatives, because that's a scary rabbit hole you fall down only once, and then you never come back from. But! Spacecadets. They be like pirates from outerspace-logic.

Yarr! Ye stabbed me, matey?

T'was fer yer own good! No take-backs!

Fie! Then I be the captain?

Ho! You be the captain!

Aye! Then set the sails for S-S-SOUL S-SOCIETY. This ship be needin' more winches!

...or some wenches?

Them too!

But! says the reader, what happened between getting stabbed and being okay with getting stabbed? Because I kinda sorta feel this is super important to THE TEARS ROLLING DOWN MY CHEEKS - RIGHT NOW!

Obviously, the irritated audience replies to this strange being not satisfied by shounen unlogic, his head midgets don't like it when it rains so he like emotion constipated for life, duh! Plus, like friends aren't really friends until they stab each other. Isn't that how everyone said I like you in 2nd grade?

Oh? Oh! Ohhhhh...no I still don't quite get it. I wasn't even through sniffling and then...spacecadets.

If you catch the undercurrent of my spatial drift. But even if you didn't, I think that's okay because I totally just self-amused myself.
countrylovinfangirl chapter 26 . 11/18/2015
Amazing! I love it a lot! Please continue soon!
YoChicken chapter 24 . 11/13/2015