Reviews for Small Luxuries
Eleneri chapter 1 . 4/8/2013
This... this is poetry, moody and evocative on the surface, but with so much more underneath those layers. The whole piece, incongruously seems painted in a hazy watercolor wash of emotion; I say incongruous because it's set where it is, on a grimy sandbox of a world that's lightyears away from anything that could be labeled "gentle", "hazy", or "watercolor". But the gentle thread of yearning - for that one indulgence that links Ben to Obi Wan and thus Qui Gon, for Keren's developing attraction for Ben, for the tea as both metaphor and lynchpin of the story - that's everywhere, and it really is just a gentle wash of words and emotions. Absolutely glorious. If having an excellent beta makes you a better writer, then I am glad you have one.
Roque Amadi chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
I came here via SerendipityAEY - I clicked into this fic thinking I would just check it out quickly and come back to it tomorrow as it was already almost midnight - and next thing I knew I was finishing it. So good! Haha I had to keep reading to see what would happen. This was really nice and authentic, Obi is so in character, and your OC is very likeable. Is there a sequel or something to this?
Janizary chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
I was fishing about for something new to read and the short description of your story caught my eye.

I'll admit to some familiarity with the addiction to tea so I thought I'd take a look.

Very sweetly done. Good storytelling and made my morning a start to a better day. Thank you.
sachariah chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
Okay, to be blunt, I'm not really a tea drinker. That's not to say I don't drink the stuff, but... well, to enforce the stereotype, I tend to (for lack of a better term) "glug" it not unlike coffee. Every once and I while I toy with it a bit longer, trying to see if I can get a grip over the finer aspects of tea, but in the end the central concept that comes to my mind is "watery." So I glug away. :P

But I won't let my own lack of refinement get in the way of appreciate such a masterful piece of work.

I've often wished we could see more of Obi-Wan in the interim between ROTS and ANH. It's a challenge, since of course we have two different portrayals of the man on either side, and while the similarities are certainly there, it takes a lot of care to successfully evoke both McGregor and Guiness.

In my mind, you've struck gold with this piece. Each line, even the unspoken "thoughts" sounded like a perfect cross between the PT and OT "versions" of Kenobi. The wry humor and charm is still there, but it's wrapped in the sorrow, pain and loss he has endured. There's a touch of despondency in the opening lines, of a man beaten, if not broken. I didn't notice any mention of Anakin, which I suspect was intentional - to be honest I wonder whether Obi-Wan would have allowed himself to give his former apprentice much thought before the day when Luke stumbled back into his life.

Keren is an amazing OC - I love how she has so much in common with Kenobi, but that isn't realized at first. It was sad to see Obi-Wan's initial reaction; considering how congenial and charming he is by nature, seeing him a bit taken aback and even unsure of himself was a reminder of how much he's changed since the fall of the Republic.

But he certainly gets over it. ;)

*There was no trace of recognition, so he surmised that she had not seen the Wanted posters with his likeness that were – apparently – plastered all over the Core.* Just a *bit* of Kenobi humor in there... but it's poignant how the drastic nature of these events imposes itself on almost every observation he makes.

Okay, time is not on my side, so I've got to make this quick (that means a lot coming from me, of course :P). This was a delightful one-shot; the flirting and sharing were so touching, and it was wonderful to see Kenobi come out of his shell again. I did think that the scene when he left Tatooine was immediately prior to leaving with Luke, at first, and so I thought he really wasn't coming back. I was happy to be wrong, but there's still a sadness knowing that this bit of happiness will not last. But it wouldn't be like Kenobi to fret over the future, at the expense the here and now.

Just *loved* his return - sleepy Keren was *adorable*. It was so "unlike" Kenobi to disturb her in the middle of the night, but it was too important for both of them to delay. Beautiful moment.

The last lines were brilliant - I think this was my favorite, as it sums up what I like most about this piece:

*It was a small thing, really, in the light of such companionship, and of finding a place in one's own heart that had once been thought too full of sorrow to contain anything else.*

Amazing work.
Queen chapter 1 . 12/15/2011
It's up! :D

Ah, Obi and his tea. There really are some small luxuries that are actually small necessities. Is Cyrodil tea based on a real tea? (Or IS it a real tea?) I can't remember if I asked or not.

It's so nice to see a story covering Obi-Wan's years between ROTS and ANH. Twenty years or nearly is a long time to live on a sand planet, in the desert, with no friends at all; this covers the gap in such a heartwarming way. Tea makes everything better. You use it so well, too, to bring the two of them together. They're both clearly lonely, and have been through their own trials, but find some peace - as well as some friendship - in each other.

Honestly, this fic is a bit like a cup of tea. So much warmth and comfort in something so simply done. Really, this is lovely.
SerendipityAEY chapter 1 . 12/15/2011
I *love* Obi-Wan and Keren. They are, and their relationship is heart-warming-ly sweet and simple with (oddly ;)for you) just a touch of angst from the past (and there's nothing wrong with angst, for it always brings with it the necessity of comfort) and they seem effortlessly able to find comfort just in the other's presence, which is so lovely to read.

**without a doubt he was able to enjoy those things, should they have ever crossed his path in his tenure as a Jedi, but he did not seek them out or pine for them when they were gone**

This is to me, is exactly what being a Jedi means, especially to Obi-Wan and I just love seeing it spelled out so clearly and fundamentally. I can understand the argument that they were completely monastic, but I don't see it that way. To utilize and accept what you have, and let it go when it's time, I think is what peace means for Obi-Wan.

But he has his tea :) Where is Cyrodil from?

**"I'll have your order ready." Keren's head ducked as she nodded along with her reply; he sensed disappointment from her, but not too much. **

Awww, that Obi-Wan, tough egg to crack. I love all his thoughts on her though, how she is unlike anyone else, his preoccupation with the color of her eyes, and the sound of her laughter, all sweetly stirring.

**Obi-Wan sighed. "They were out?"**

Hmmm, well you could find some other way to make the trip worth while...

**Arms on the counter, she was leaning forward, regarding him with an expression that he couldn't read.**

She seems so sweet and earnest, I love this, just wanting to be able to spend a moment with him, I think she might be drawn to him... :D But I hate he can't read her expressions, lol! I want to know what she's thinking about him! I suppose I can imagine ;)

**placing his fingertip against the mug's side. It was still too warm to drink, but the increasing spicy-mint smell was ridiculously enticing.**

Such simple, cautious Obi-Wan movements. I so imagine him this way, but still the pleasures of life, even to him, can be 'ridiculously enticing'(Go for it, Obi! :D) Beautiful writing.

I really like their similarities, as it would for many - the past is painful, they've lost a lot, but they have to move on, one foot in front of the other and it definitely shows they are connected in a way, even if it's small.

**One more regret would, he knew, be his undoing.**

This is so sad but real, but I'm glad he understands this, and he would hurt her, if he never said goodbye.

**Nodding, he reached forward and stroked her cheek once before he turned to leave.**

heart... melting... Their little reunion is so nice, and romantic just how it is - they're so focused on each other... *love* And I like their little moments of teasing, it's happy and cute, and I *totally* almost forgot I asked for it, lol.

Sigh... :D Like any fantastic story, it just leaves me wanting more, but this 'ficlet' is still more than I was ever hoping for and really it's such a sweet perfect loving relationship for him, and so what he needs :D It is so him to be cautions and careful and hesitant because of duty, but... **'Love'**! Even he needs love! And why not, indeed, espcially now he's more or less settled on Tatooine whether he likes it or not.

I love the way you captured his reticence, and I would love see more someday on his thoughts - why he chooses to take this risk, the things about her he just can't resist, how she's just more important than worrying about the unknown and just deciding to go for it. And I wonder how she finds out about him being a Jedi...

**but it didn't matter, as it happened many more times.**

Many more kisses? but... but... details! Come on! I want to know exactly how each kiss went! And maybe it doesn't matter to him, but I want to know who kissed who!

:D I just imagine them so content and with no intentions, and who knows who moved first but they're drawn together and then - fireworks and he's looking into her green/brown eyes and then they just know it's too good not to try and they might never get enough. There can never be enough kissing.

This is such a perfect start ;) I really love it, there's so much potential for them, and that alone is so lovely to have to think about.

I have enjoyed beta-ing so much, and I have been tough on you, but it's only because the writing is so good to begin with, I hope that's evident at least by how much I'm invested in your stories as well, that usually doesn't happen :) I've been a part of this process for a long time, I don't really remember what it feels like the first time some one picks apart your work, but I did try to be thoughtful, in the very least. In some ways, I'm much tougher when I'm 'beta-ing' because we share the canon characters, but I have to say this Obi-Wan here is so perfect and I love reading him :D If I seem critical sometimes, I don't mean to, at least not in a bad way, and it's only because I care so much.

Fantastic job! Thank you, thank you, thank you :) Dare I say it?

More, please :)
Kelana-ti chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
Whoah. This story is so Obi-Wan. You managed to capture him very well. The cautiousness of the relationship is very true to him, as well. I love it!
CNQ chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
I'll tell you what: this is my 4th attempt at submitting a review. I have not been reviewing lately and I truly am very sorry. This story is unique and special. I love the simple plot. I do find it odd that "Ben" doesn't even attempt to hide his Core accent. A rugged newcomer that lives in the Jundland Wastes that has a Core accent. Wouldn't that raise sucpicions? But it seems in "A New Hope" he still has a trace of the accent. I have my own lovely beta. She is currently reading over the sequel to "The Adventures of Sarlacc Squad" I have named "Brothers in Unity". This was a lovely story!
LadySaxophone chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
Excellent! He definately needed someone during those lonely times. Where exactly did he go though?
Valairy Scot chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
Wonderfully done and I loved - just loved - the ending: "finding room in one's own heart that had once been thought too full of sorrow to contain anything else."

Your author's note sounds almost like I could have written it - one does wish to reach perfection on one's own, but clearly one cannot. We can only strive for it, and sometimes, come close to achieving it with the help and insight of others.
pronker chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
This is nice and sweetly adult; good idea that Obi-Wan has a strong predilection for tea and so does Keren.