Reviews for The Man Who Can Turn An Army
Ford.Ye.Fiji chapter 1 . 6/21
That was so amazingly sad... Sniff. Poor eleven. We miss you! Yes, when I watched Demon's Run I think I felt that in what River was saying and I've been trying to find fic about it and I found yours. Thank you, summed it up perfectly!
Bighead98 chapter 1 . 5/2/2014

I can almost imagine Matt Smiths voice saying each line
Guest chapter 1 . 12/15/2012
this is stupid.
The Cinderninja chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
Oh good grief. This is the first angst fic that I've seen that's properly in character. Which is odd, because there's so much material in the series for it. Angst itself is SO not out of character. But not many people seem to be able to pull it off just right.

I also loved the knowledge here. You're not some new fan trying to pull off references you don't understand (I don't mind New Who fans. It just bothers me when people write stories with Classic elements without understanding them properly). You've done everything so well it's just making me so happy. There was nothing in here that made it hard to read. The whole thing just felt natural.

And the impact was great. It didn't feel weak, or fall flat. It just came out perfectly. I honestly don't think I can properly express my feelings towards this fic - it turned out so beautifully. 3

Quathis chapter 1 . 8/22/2012
Rather accurate portrayal of how the Eleventh would take those words, though I think he'd also be thinking of those he'd failed. Like Amy and Rory with Melody. He'd be giddy for a bit cause of River's consoling after her gentle castigation, but I'm sure within a couple of hours of lonely searching, he'd reach this thought pattern. Sad, but true. Until next time.
Son of Whitebeard chapter 1 . 6/23/2012
God it true what you say you get grumpier when your older
the ticking clock chapter 1 . 4/18/2012
beautiful, haunting and dark.

I love the angst, and the self-loathing, and the character study in this story. Great job!
Marmelatta chapter 1 . 3/30/2012
Wow. Wow. Wow.

Can this get any better? You've got the whole essence of the Doctor's 'Time Lord Victorious'-ness in that little oneshot, complete with great word-picking and everything. I LOVED that scene in A Good Man Goes to War - the man who can turn an army - plus the mentions of Classic Who companions...Just brilliant!

Great job,

Atarah Derek chapter 1 . 3/27/2012
Nice introspection. Personally I think the Doctor goes deeper still. It's strongly implied that, as with the Master, his fate was sealed from the moment he received his name. Names are important on Gallifrey. They encompass a Time Lord's past, present and future. And I think that's what the Doctor really ran from. What he inevitably faced when forced to (very likely) live up to that name. And what he's running from now.

It's sort of like Kovu's name in the Lion King sequel. "Kovu" means "Scar," and it was from that fate that he ran.
TheDoctorAndSarah chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
I. Love. This. Story.

OK, so I'm an angst magnet and I love that, but I really love how you've looked at that progression over the years. It's funny; I feel almost like the Doctor does, in that I didn't notice it when Tegan said something, but you're right, he was beginning that long, slow slide into darkness even then.

"He had never meant to be this. Never wanted to be this. Didn't want to be viewed as a mighty thing. He wanted to crawl into a corner, hide from the universe, hide from everyone who thought he was this amazing, shining thing, because he wasn't."

Love it!

- Nick
soru23 chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
very deep and meaningful story.

Makes one think about really what the doctor has been through as a whole, rather than taking each adventure or series as it comes.

"...after he had fallen so hard from such a great height..."

"...who thought he was this amazing, shining thing, because he wasn't..."

We can see that he feels as if he has lost more than just his pride, but has lost some of his meaning, with a dreadful realisation that not only is his pride essentially artificial in nature, but that also he is seeing himself as someone he isn't, and who he could never be.

"The man who can turn armies at the mention of his nameā€¦"

The Doctor seemingly realises that if he continues down this path, that instead of being a wise-man, and healer, among other things, he would turn into a warrior, fuelled by his own selfish desires rather that as he was before, with a wish to help others.

In a way, it shows much about how far he has come, and through what stages he has passed, and which people have been instrumental in his changes. furthermore, it shows us that although he may seem perfect and above us, in reality the doctor has more flaws stuck deep within his personality than we as humans could ever have. this is partly because of his immense age though, and because of his contact with humans and other races as companions...the worst and the best of all of those very different people has rubbed off on him...he is akin to a patchwork doll, because he has so much of others within him, he scarcely knows himself anymore.

But the point is that even though he has become this great figure, renowned across the universe for his feats of extraordinary bravery, he is as ordinary and as extraordinary as we all are...a paradox within a paradox.
Dark Patrician chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
I've got to agree with the others, its so sad it makes you want to cry. This is a beautiful story, thank you for writing it.
DALEKTHEmeredrone chapter 1 . 1/10/2012
A very good example of the 11th Doctor's self-loathing, a very sad, well written one-shot.
PhoenixWormwood137 chapter 1 . 1/8/2012
Oh, that was really good. I love angst. And I did turn on "Time Lord Victorious" - I love that piece.

I also really appreciate Doctor introspective fics and I thought this one was done very well. The old man-young soul / young man-old soul comparison was cool. All in all, it was great. *applause*