Reviews for One Night in Hammelburg: A Girls' Own Adventure
ThePastaDragon chapter 18 . 1/24/2020
This is just perfect. Your characterization of the ladies, of Hochstetter, and of Hogan himself were spot on. And I really liked your OC, Udo. :D great story!
mrspencil chapter 18 . 10/20/2019
An excellent adventure, with the ladies all in character and at their best. Udo is an engaging character, too. Very well penned:-)
lalalei chapter 18 . 4/10/2019
This was a super fun story! I was really cool to see the girls of HH on their own adventure. The suspense was top-notch, and so was the characterization!
Visage chapter 1 . 7/8/2018
What a fun story! You did such a good job combining the Ladies of HH, keeping them all in character and engaging through the entire story. I adored Udo, such a sweet character that I would love to see more of. I love that he discovered himself through the story. I was hoping he would find some way into the Underground! And I love that the Ladies saved the day all by themselves. With very few hiccups along the way, I might add! The guys can't exactly say the same! A fun story from beginning to end. Thank you for sharing!
SaraiEsq chapter 18 . 10/24/2014
Very nice! :-)
SaraiEsq chapter 11 . 10/24/2014
The baby rabbit and the wildcat Brilliant!
SaraiEsq chapter 5 . 10/24/2014
"Or maybe not." (cackles) Love it!
malexandria chapter 18 . 7/20/2014
Great story!
Nomad1 chapter 18 . 10/4/2012
This was great fun. Always nice to see Hogan be the one with no clue what's going on behind his back for a change.
konarciq chapter 18 . 5/11/2012
Ah, the infamous colonel Feldkamp, his cousin!

Really loved this final chapter. First the little games with Hogan, but especially the sweet and shy discourse between Hilda and Udo. It really is a shame that he's leaving - can we put in a request to see him again some other time, please? He's so adorable!

But Hilda was probably right in the end, about Hogan likely to start worrying about them, too. Though I don't think I quite grasp yet why he'd be so angry with the four of them. Will have to mull that over, I suppose.

And oh yes, Hogan needs only half a hint to draw conclusions...

Anyway, a lovely story, certainly to be kept among the very very favourites! It would have made for a very different kind of episode, yet completely in the spirit of the series. You've done it again: another masterpiece!

Well done, mate!
konarciq chapter 17 . 5/11/2012
I'm almost inclined to feel sorry for Hochstetter... LOL Brilliant the way Marya pulled this off, though (I believe for the first time in this story) I did have some trouble keeping our little secret in mind. It simply was Marya, punto e basta!

Funny all those hofs she led them to. It's a very common ending in names for restaurants and inns etc indeed in Germany, so it's quite plausible. And this one guy providing them with all the culinary specialties of each and every one of them...! ;-)
Goldleaf83 chapter 18 . 5/6/2012
I just read the last three chapters all at once, and they provide a terrific wrap-up to this rich, complex story!

You’ve built the relationships among the women so very well, especially here at the end. Tiger shines in her commitment to foiling the Nazis; she’s so smart, so competent, yet also very gentle and kind with both Hilda and Helga. She immediately steps back when she realizes the faux pas in her snide comment to Hilda about Germans, recalling that she’s getting important help from this particular German. I’d have loved to have heard that conversation that almost happens in this close moment between Tiger and Hilda – but they’re probably better off in not having had it, given the imminent danger of the mission’s climax. Tiger is noticeably not jealous of Hilda or Helga: with each of them she brings up their friendship with Hogan, acknowledging that he’s an important reason behind all of their actions, and she’s clearly comfortable with that connection among them all. But she also makes clear that she knows that he’s not the only reason they act as they do: you make it clear that they all act on ethical grounds that go far beyond personal ties.

The actual rescue is carried out very realistically, and shows off Tiger’s inner steel in her impersonation of a Gestapo special agent. The sleight of hand in Udo and Hilda trading off the papers is a simple yet believable and relatively fool-proof way for novices to manage. Tiger remains aware of their audience: she’s gentle yet firm with Hilda to be sure she gets off the train on time, and looks after Helga. You really draw very well the let-down that poor tired Hilda feels after the train leaves: it’s a wonderfully sweet but not at all sappy moment when Udo returns for her. I love your description of her emotional reaction then: “She gazed at him, her vision blurring as yet another rush of tears threatened her equanimity; but this time, they sprang from a sudden blossoming of warmth, deep in her heart.”

The switch to the comedy of the next chapter works well, as Hochstetter searches fruitlessly for his quarry. It was hilarious to watch all the different “Hofs” that the oh-so-helpful Geisler comes up with locations for (plus reviews of the food available at most of them). One nice little touch was the contrast between Hochstetter’s “slightly hysterical” voice and Hausenberg’s voice that gave the “impression that a jackhammer was operating on his vocal cords.” What a great and economical way of delineating character in both cases! And Hochstetter’s epiphany about Marya’s beautiful orchestration (“Didn’t I tell you she would be rescued at the station?”) is a masterstroke, particularly the whole final paragraph of chapter 17 as Hochstetter realizes he’s been hoodwinked and can’t touch Marya for it. Utterly brilliant!

The final chapter pulls all the remaining threads together very well. It was good to hear that Helga made it home okay, and I was glad we got to see Udo once again. We see his resourcefulness demonstrated in the switch of the pictures and find out what his plans are, that he’s going to pursue his decision of conscience to help the Allies still further, though at the personal cost of delaying any serious relationship with Hilda. This chapter also sets up a nice contrast between Hogan and Udo – it’s quite clear which man is the better bet for her future happiness. But I’m worried about Udo going to Berlin on this mission of his – that will not be a good place to be at the end of the war. (But, of course, where would be?)

The non-conversation between Hogan and Hilda is the perfect cap to this story, when she decides to not tell him what happened that night. While it’s clear that she knows a good bit of what the prisoners have going in the camp (that Klink’s office is bugged but hers isn’t, for example), it’s equally unclear how much Hogan knows or guesses about what happened that night. He does seem to be digging for information in that absolutely characteristic way of his. Of course she can’t be sure, but she’s certainly reading him correctly in the reasons behind her decision to keep the events of that night private, and thus a true girls’ own adventure! I love how this story empowers her through her own secret adventure and knowledge that Hogan is never able to touch.

One final small note: it’s delightful to see how many bits and pieces of different episodes you’ve woven into this story in absolutely natural ways, with a light fun touch and a wink, such as the references to the Kaiserhof from “The Flame Grows Higher” and Greta and Colonel Feldcamp from “The Battle of Stalag 13,” not to mention the characterizations of Tiger and Marya as developed in the many episodes they appear in. It’s all put together in a brilliant mosaic.

A full standing ovation for this one!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 18 . 4/30/2012
Perfect closing chapter in tone and content. We finally see Papa Bear himself in quite a different form: being kept in the dark. It's not very often we see Hilda with the informational advantage, which is refreshing.

Again, the romantic overtones are just right. Not overplayed, but they're there, leaving us hopeful Udo will return.

Very satisfying conclusion to a very satisfying story. I loved every single word of this one.
buggleston chapter 18 . 4/28/2012
Wonderful ending to a great story~enjoy seeing Hilda turn the tables on Hogan by keeping him guessing about her and Helga's night out!

Glad that Udo has decided to transfer to Berlin to assist the Underground but I feel bad for Hilda because she was wanting to geat know him better.

Loved the idea of the switch of Tigers photo with that of Greta ~that was fast thinking on Udo's part to throwing Hochstetter off of Tiger's trail!

I really enjoyed this different type of tale envolving the lady oc's of the Show and all your characters were written so well that even I was starting to enjoy Mayra's part in this very much!

Loved Udo's character very much I hope well be seening him in another story soon!

thanks for a wonderful story!
FloatingPizza chapter 18 . 4/28/2012
I really enjoyed this, and I must say your characters and characterizations were hands-down my favorite part. Any chance we'll be seeing Udo again? :)