Reviews for The Flight
yay chapter 1 . 11/30/2012
This is sad and beautfiul.
wistful-amibitions chapter 1 . 7/12/2012
So beautiful. Thank you for writing this.
Twiggalina chapter 1 . 2/1/2012
So sad but so beautifully written!
Frakking Toasters chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
This is beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time, and I'm not sure that anyone other than a mother could have written this. It's so expressive, so profound and utterly breathtaking. Esme could not have been written more perfectly. It captures her very essence. If it weren't for the knowledge that Carlisle would be there to save her and bring her the happiness she deserves, I think I might have wanted to throw myself off the cliff with her!

Wonderful job as always. Congratulation.
katinki chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
I love this! It was so awesome of you to focus on a secondary like this. I love where you went with it and the writing is fantastic. Thank you for writing.

Kate
GothicTemptress chapter 1 . 12/19/2011
Alby, I loved this story and cried very hard in the final moments. I thought it was so well done! Congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful 2012!

Becca
Dee chapter 1 . 12/19/2011
This is by far the best Esme back story I've read! Made me cry, you're very talented,hope you continue this story!
miaokuancha chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
This story is so amazing. Definitive for me, just saying. So many incredible passages:

The way you describe the aftermath of labor - as it was in those days, a harrowing and exhausting experience. Truly the gate of life is also the gate of death.

This -

The candle and the strip cloths and the inky night attend the Adoration, symbols of the light, the dark and the pain in between.

The whole passage as she looks at her baby in her arms for the first time - that one, tiny sliver of perfection. Anyone who has birthed and held a child - oh lord, we know. We know.

Her dreams - this is so true. I experienced it, this connection between the mother's soul and the infant's. Just wow. And of course he is foundering because his lungs are not mature enough to breathe. The way that you let her and the reader experience that through her dreams ... all melded with flashbacks of connubial rape. Jesus.

You take no prisoners. We must live with Esme through the hours and days as her son slowly fails, can't nurse, because he can't breathe, and her milk takes that fatal 48 hours to come down. Every single detail - the shape of the tiny hand, the agony of her nipples, the mastitis coming on. We who have been mothers know it. And you tell it. I had read an article which I now cannot find, about how, no matter what its flaws, Twilight deals with women's concerns and highlights the dark gothic element of key forces in our lives: falling in love, men and sex, pregnancy and childbirth. Well I would say that this little story of yours does all that in spades - and with the most amazing, tight, gripping prose.

The dream, where the baby grows up before her eyes and walks into the light. I frankly snot-sobbed. I love how you did it though. She doesn't know, of course, but we do, that vision was not only of losing, but also of finding. The nameless one went into the light, showing her the promise of the one who would have a name in her life. Oh god, you have to know that this story will be in my mind for any scene I write with Esme and her interactions with her children.

Her last waking, her journey to the cliff, the apple tree - just killed me.

her heart clambers around in her chest, wanting to smash itself to pieces on the rocky shore below in its hurry to follow her boy into that golden radiance of her dream.

This story is just so incredibly exceptional. You have brought her last days and hours so vividly to life.
MissWinkles chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
Amazing. Really, truly, very beautiful. You captured Esme's heartbreak so perfectly, giving her a real sense of loneliness and such palpable grief. I would love to see Carlisles POV from here - in your words of course. Or even Esme's POV when she meets Carlisle. You know I don't do angst, but even so, this is truly beautiful.

3 Wink
Anna Faze chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
Such a heartbreaking story, so beautifully told. Esme's despair, captured so perfectly, is not easy to shake off.

As always, I'm captivated by your turn of phrase, so imaginative. Incredible.

I've always been curious about Esme's story, more than any of the others (except Alice, perhaps?). It's hard to imagine anyone doing a better job of filling in the blanks that you've done here. Congratulations and well deserved!

Thanks for
lisamichelle17 chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
*sobs* *sobs* *sobs* I read this and I couldn't find the words to say. Yes, this happens from time to time believe it or not. I did vote your story as one of the top 5 because you left me speechless. My heart hurt for days and DAYS because it was so beautifully written but it also was so tragic. When I think of tragic I think of this story. When this posted, my heart shattered because I could imagine how hard it must have been to write this story because you are a mother. I am so damn proud of you. You continually amaze me. You need to know that. I felt love and sorrow in this story. You have a gift and I am so damn lucky that I get to read what you write. I adore you, infinity.
Feisty Y. Beden chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
I absolutely loved this story. It was one of my faves, and my top pick for a lot of categories. The whole story was wonderfully done, but the closing image will stay with me for a long time.
asiula chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
That was such a tragic story. Absolutely davastating :(
karenec chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
That was amazing and you made me cry SO hard. Esme grabbed my heart from the very first words, and you wrote her story just beautifully. Thank you so much for sharing this.

This was one of my favorite stories in the contest and I voted for you. I'm SO glad you won - congratulations!
Bedelia chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
This story just...agh. I don't know if I can find the words. It was one of my favourites when I read the contest entries, and I was thrilled when I saw that it won an award.

I've always been curious about Esme's human life, too, and the version of her last few days that you laid out here is beautifully written and heartbreaking.

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing story.