Reviews for Probabilities
Fallyna chapter 4 . 10/20/2013
LE optics - light emitting? Makes sense for IR/UV, but it would make you glaringly obvious to anyone using passive versions of the same sensors. Assume you mean Light Enhancement, but the usual context I see it in is Low Light Enhancement, or LLE. Just curious.

"It was supposed to be a git from a friend. Now it is."

This is the Cameron I love from the series. She struggles to understand the concepts of friendship, trust and gift giving, but occasionally makes a leap of near human intuition like this one. Whether that's the result of a processing queue assigning variables or an electronic leap of intuition isn't clear, but it works well and keeps her in character.

The angst is strong in this chapter. John and Sarah are being themselves, but I'm not sure what to make of the interaction between Cameron and Derek. His memory implies that he was deceived by a terminator, but captivity and torture could be blurring his recollection. Perhaps that was the real Allison - just before she outlived her usefulness? That might explain her lingering emotion for Derek after the memory scrub and his release before that. His current attitude towards Cameron matches his feelings for Jesse almost word for word, just after he discovered her betrayal. John and Derek should compare notes, next time they're feeling sorry for themselves over their luck with women. :)

Anna's comment about flying cars threw me for a loop, but I'd put that down to my lack of familiarity with the Gen13 universe. You can almost taste Sarah's desperation for a cancer cure. Cameron's sacrifice was perfectly logical, but I liked the way she put Anna first in her goodbye. Just as logical based on their interaction times, but still nice. Anna's idea of teasing can't be good for Jack's heart!

Sarkissian, Kester and Ellison. Carrots and Apples. This is why time travel is a dream for fanfiction authors, because all universes are possible and change is the only constant. Good story and I hope you'll find a way to take it further one day.
Fallyna chapter 3 . 10/20/2013
The interaction between Cameron and Anna is the best part of this chapter, IMO. Cameron comes across as incredibly primitive in comparison, but accurately reflects her role and abilities from the TV series. The contrast between the two is huge, because Anna's behaviour easily achieves the status of human. The big question is whether her behaviour is natural - or a near perfect mimicry. Does perfect mimicry imply understanding, or can that be mimicked as well?

I know you love double entendres. but 'lessening the friction' is one of your best - covering both scenarios accurately. :)

Cameron seems to see mimicry as the only way to achieve human behaviour, going by her comments on processing power. She's a computer that wants to emulate human behaviour, but still retain her electronic perspective and nature. Anna's approach is the opposite, where you need to become something to understand it. That's how it seems, anyway.

Given their dual nature and intelligence, I'm surprised that neither has suggested communicating or networking on an electronic level, allowing them to compare data at far greater speeds than vocal communication allows. The series implies that terminators come with full knowledge if their construction and repair needs, so both stand to gain from the exchange. In the context of this story though, its probably too early to be thinking about that.

The final chat between John and Derek reinforces their mutual fear of predestination and helplessness. Is General John Connor pulling their strings, or is someone pulling his? The line between intellectual exercise and reality is starting to blur.
Fallyna chapter 2 . 10/18/2013
Anna seems more like the classical definition of a cyborg - one where the body is artificial, but the brain is 100% human. That doesn't match up with the story about her creation, but her actions do. If her brain is electronic and she's learned to imitate humans with that level of perfection, we need to start redefining the definition of humanity.

Tiny proofing error - the delivery boy would be bringing Chinese food or a pizza, rather than a pie. A Chinese pie, perhaps? Lynch's description also appears to be the clue for your own writing alias of Thescarredman. :)

After reading through the multiverse theory argument (twice), my head is killing me and I'm feeling a bit on the slow side. If that's the simple explanation, I'm glad I missed the one from his red headed stepchild!

Derek is being... Derek. Decades of hatred aren't going to be displaced overnight, but his hatred extends far beyond Skynet. To him 'metal' is anything non-human that pretends to be - and they can never be trusted because of what they are. Sarah is being unusually quiet and John is relishing his chance to shine as a geek. It hints a lot at the relationship between them, where she usually insists on taking the lead - even without technical expertise. She must be more shocked (and worried about what Anna could represent) than any of them.

Anna's determination to get past Derek's resentment is 100% human, but her attitude towards Cameron is puzzling. She's as friendly to her as she would be to a small child, but does she see Cameron as a person or a programmed machine with no free will?
Fallyna chapter 1 . 10/18/2013
First thing that came to mind after the fight started was that Cameron and Co are seriously underpowered in comparison to whatever just dropped in on them. The reverse of transporting a T-1001 like Catherine Weaver into the Marvel Universe and having her confront Ares or Magneto. A situation where her offensive powers would be virtually useless and she'd have to reply on her brains and disguise capabilities instead.

That seems to be the position the Connors find themselves in now, where their cyborg is no match for the new girl and the rest of them are insignificant against her apparently human companion. Being beaten with ease is humiliating, even if the victors are gracious about it. Cameron is taking it as well as you'd expect, but the hurt feelings from the rest of them aren't going away anytime soon. John is being reasonable for the moment, but Sarah has a very short fuse and Derek has lost to machines so many times that he only remembers how to hit back at the first opportunity.
skywiseskychan chapter 4 . 1/1/2012
Well they’re back, maybe. I like that you let Anna and Jack make such a simple mistake with the time. It would really have been one of my first thoughts or at least possibilities. But having a group of very smart people miss things like that is always nice. I hadn’t thought about the whole technology level issue, and I’m very curious to see where you are going to go with it. Somehow I don’t think this whole, “Gone forever” thing at the end is really going to be the end of things. I look forward to seeing what else your going to do with this, and of course I have my personal wish that you get Cameron the ability to self program.
olischulu chapter 4 . 12/25/2011
The necklace wasn't from Riley it was from Jody.

Well...

Is this your kind of Story writing? You write a crossovers with Anna and her Husband and at the end let the TSCC fans stand in the end of nowhere with a badly damaged possibly destroyed Cameron?

You gave a little hint of Jameron and then nothing?

I really hope there will be a sequel.
Whyt Wulf chapter 4 . 12/24/2011
Everybody loves a good foot race, right? Great wrap up to a great story. I'd love to see exactly where this fits in to the continuity of your Gen13 stories, and the fallout.
Whyt Wulf chapter 3 . 12/22/2011
Oh, man. I really wish you *had* posted the next chapter today. This is unbelievable, and I can't wait to read more. I love the tiny little details you put into your stories - the things that show you did your homework to A standards. I also love that you can have your characters discuss something as deep as Euclidean geometry and everything else that went with that discussion (no spoilers here, no sir), but keep it basic enough for any average reader to understand.

Also, I'm not sure if you intended it or not, but I read a bit of a minor 'Serenity' homage in one line Derek said near the end of Ch3. I smiled.
keen chapter 3 . 12/20/2011
""A guy in love will do a lot of things he wouldn't do otherwise. I think the real question is… whether you could ever love one." He turned away. "I'm gonna take another walk.""

I think it's funny that John would ask that when he's in love with Cameron.
skywiseskychan chapter 3 . 12/19/2011
Heh, I have to say I am amused by the number of times you have managed to sneak in, "I'll be back." It is terribly amusing. I also like the discussion about not getting to choose your mother. Now I almost want to see a Cameron with the ability to self-program, and wonder as I write this if that is where you are going with this or if it isn't. Ah good Derik has realized the fallacy of omniscience/fate canceling free will. Another thought that has occurred to me is that you have created a perfect excuse to leave John and Anna here and keep them around in your other story at the same time if you wanted.
skywiseskychan chapter 2 . 12/19/2011
Despite all the wonderful talk, I wonder when it will occur to Derik that even if he can't save his world from Skynet, that the very fact he is here, where he is, means his mission isn't a failure because he is saving A world from Skynet. I do enjoy wondering about the various infinite infinities of people crossing over from one world to another, and then considering the next infinity of worlds where a second person has crossed over into them etc.
Zullar chapter 3 . 12/18/2011
I was just told on twitter that the story might not be a jameron story after all. Talk about being slapped in the face with disappoint. I think I need to go watch Born to Run now. :(
thelexy chapter 3 . 12/18/2011
oops... I didn't mean *sex scene* I meant sex talk.

Hehe, kill me now.
Zullar chapter 3 . 12/18/2011
This chapter was awesome! omg! There's hints of jameron! You told me to just wait and we'll I'm so eager to find out what will happen now!
morded chapter 3 . 12/18/2011