Reviews for I Was Broken
ChristyWIX chapter 1 . 9/24/2014
I can't handle angst . . . I'm entirely too sensitive . . . thank you for the mildly happy ending to this. I lost my father to lung cancer when he was forty-six, I was only twenty, my brother sixteen. I proceeded to lose my BFF's mother to brain cancer about seven years later. Lost my MIL to the exact cancer that took my father three years after that. Then lost my husbands grandpa to lung cancer about five years ago. My FIL remarried after the loss of his wife and we just lost that MIL this past April of breast cancer. Yes, two wives, both lost to cancer. Cancer is a horrific disease that has touched billions of people in one form or another. You've done it justice here in this little story. Sad though it may have been.
Christy
Mistydeb chapter 1 . 9/19/2014
Aww, that was so sad. You were right to give a tissue warning, but it was a lovely read. Debbie
Snappher chapter 1 . 8/14/2014
Shit, sobbing! Snot and tears everywhere! :(. Waaaaaa..,so beautiful
kittiekatz34 chapter 1 . 12/13/2013
that was a beautiful story. sometimes u can find love with a little divine intervention :)
Rita01tx chapter 1 . 11/10/2012
Very sad, brave story. So happy there was an HEA for it!
momma2fan chapter 1 . 3/28/2012
That was so sad and sweet. Thanks for writing.
sfspeedy chapter 1 . 1/23/2012
Beautifully written. You have honored your friend. Thank you for sharing this.
cahtx chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
I cried like a baby but I enjoyed your touching story. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
Amazone3 chapter 1 . 12/19/2011
Thats good diffrent!
mommymac0508 chapter 1 . 12/17/2011
I loved it so heart breaking and sad but hopeful and sweet at the end thank you
EdwardsVampireGrl chapter 1 . 12/17/2011
Well I ended up being a sobbing mess this morning thanks to you! ;) I managed to hold it together until the girls were saying there goodbyes and I totally just lost it. Absolutely broke down. I’m really really glad you gave us the happy times at the end. My heart still aches for them but at least they were all able to find some happiness, especially with someone who had grown so close to Alice in the end. Excellent story, beautifully written. Thanks for sharing it!
katinki chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
very well done, billi! i really enjoyed reading this. okay, enjoyed might not be the right word, considering the subject matter, but you understand.

you know, this touches on one of the most bittersweet / touching / painful topics i can imagine between two people: when you're dying, trying to express to your other half the notion of moving on. it's selfless and an act of true love - to want your spouse and family to find happiness and love again once you're gone. being on the receiving end of such a request has to be heart breaking.

thanks for writing.

-k
Viola Cornuta chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
bless your wicked mind and soft heart-xoxo
Gasaway Alley chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
I don't even know where to start. Maybe with thank you for the tissue warning. My sweatshirt sleeves work very well, and right now, I have the neck pulled up over my mouth catching all the rest. It is going straight to the washing machine.

You have a cadence to your writing that makes you feel every part of the story. I gulped the tears down and held them back until you mentioned Rialto Beach.

I was transported back to November when we were all there. The majesty of the entire place is unequaled. I remember lifting my face to the sun, leaning up against the huge driftwood trees, and just feeling a sense of peace you don't usually feel in any other corner of the world. The sound of the waves hitting the beach and the wind in the trees backing right up to the water line crashed over me while I read on.

I guess we all have a story to tell in one way or another. We have all lost someone very dear to us at one time or another. The C word still continues to absolutely frighten me to a near hysteria. I understood every word, every aspect of everything you wrote. I commiserated with Edward and more with their girls.

I imagine the journey you must have gone on while you wrote this probably opened up wounds and I hope it may have helped to heal tiny parts over the loss of your friend. I know you shed more than your share of tears through this undertaking.

Thank you for telling such a brave and poignant story. You win in every way possible in my book.

I love you so very much and am so very proud to count you as a friend. X's all over your pretty face - Apie
Nikita2009 chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
Gahhhhhhh...Loved this story...definitely a tissue box full is required, bbcakes. But still, so beautifully written and angsty.

Love yer face and hope you always keep writing, bbcakes.