Reviews for My Father's Shadow
sgoodspeed49 chapter 7 . 3/16
jvtsq
PikkuHiiri chapter 28 . 2/9/2015
So I just spent the past two hours reading this story and I love every single chapter of it.

I've read a few stories before where Steve has a daughter and you did the best job by far. I really like how Steve is not the perfect father but how they fight sometimes and struggle through various situations where their ideas of teenage life just differ a lot. Parenting isn't all easy after all.

I have to say I cried a bit reading the part where they finally talk about her grandpa. Although I really hoped Steve would get it faster and allow her to open up and drop her guards about how hurt she was sooner.

Although they are a lot alike (and that is awesome) you did a great job of making her character totally unique and lovable, with all her strength and flaws.

Reading the story all through in one reading came easily. It remained interesting from the first to the last chapter mainly because you summed up a few happenings into shorter parts but went into details at the right spot. I like your way of writing- right length of sentence, good division into paragraphs and always ending the chapters at a spot that leaves readers curious for more.

Don't have to say I didn't like Cindy the smallest and I am happy she gave custody to Steve without a nasty fight.

I absolutely liked all the side characters you brought in. Mason was adorable, Alyssa the typical teenage girl, Sam is so sweet and Alex couldn't ask for a better friend than Josh. I am sure Jason will be a good friend and help for Steve as well.

As soon as I have time I will read the other parts of the series hoping to catch up to the most recent one.

Well done on this story !
lilAzIaNpride24 chapter 28 . 1/31/2015
Okay, so I'm rereading this series just because. One thing I do have to mention though (I'm not sure if I did before), because Alex is in high school, it's actually Navy JROTC, not ROTC. That's college.
ael.jml chapter 28 . 2/16/2014
Hi I have a question. Are you still working on part 4?
ael.jml chapter 23 . 2/16/2014
My mom put a resilient young woman in my yearbook.
ael.jml chapter 8 . 2/15/2014
We are reading oliver twist in school.
War Sage chapter 28 . 4/28/2013
great story
horsegirlrule chapter 28 . 2/22/2013
I love this story
JM Reagan chapter 27 . 9/13/2012
I was very impressed with the way you handled this chapter!
JM Reagan chapter 14 . 9/12/2012
I absolutely love Alex!
cytpotter chapter 28 . 6/6/2012
I just want to start by saying that I really enjoyed your story! I have to admit that I am much more of an action fan but your story was both funny and sweet as well as emotional! I really like Alex and I could very much imagine her being Steve's daughter! If this is your first story then I think you should be proud! It was well written and other then a few missed words was edited very well as well! One thing I imagine was pointed out to you but still I just wanted to point it out... John McGarrett never called Steve "Champ" except in that last phone call. I didn't mind the shift from cannon just wanted to point it out to you. I am actually attempting to write a McGarrett/daughter story as well though mine is very different from yours! Thank you for the great story! I very much enjoyed the read! I will most definitely be checking out the continuation of this story! So until then! :D
cytpotter chapter 11 . 6/1/2012
Smart girl Alex! ;) Course with a dad like Steve how couldn't she be? lol! Glad she got to meet Mary! Wish I was a fly on the wall when Steve tells Cindy that Alex wants to stay with him! Great Story! Can't wait to see what happens next!
cytpotter chapter 10 . 6/1/2012
Know this happened a couple of chapters ago but... wow that Cindy is really a piece of work! And I don't mean that in a good way! I'm not sure I would of had as much restraint as Steve had when she came to his house and then started getting snarky with him! I likely would of popped her one! I am a mother of two kids and I know that it wouldn't matter where on this green earth I was if I got word that someone had taken my kid... well I would be heading for home if I had to walk! So when she told Alex that she loved her... if I had of been Alex I would of asked why she didn't show it! But hey that is just me! I know I am ranting a bit but that Cindy just makes my hackles raise! I hope Steve does what he HAS to do and files for custody of Alex! Cause if he doesn't I might pop him one! Just saying!

In case you haven't figured it out yet YES! I LOVE your story! Going to push the "Next" button now!
cytpotter chapter 8 . 5/31/2012
WOW again! This story just keeps getting better and better! I have really come to love your charactor Alex! She is just what I would think a daughter of Steve's would be like! Your writting is very good and I am enjoying your story very much! I am sad to see that it doesn't have a lot of reviews because I think a story this good should have over 200 reviews at least! I am looking forward now to when I can get a few more minutes to read some more! I can't wait to see what happens next!
cytpotter chapter 2 . 5/31/2012
Another great chapter! And I love the reference to Harry Potter! I am a HUGE Potter fan and I would LOVE to read about Alex and Steve going to see the last movie! I know it is likely written past that point but that would be really neat! I really enjoyed this chapter as well! Going to click the "Next" button now! ;)