Reviews for The Angels Stop Singing
Jade8devlin chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
Oof, that hurt. At the same time, I enjoyed this very much. It feels like a small window into a much larger world, which really just means, I suppose, that I found this very thought provoking.

It isn't the usual faberry fair - which unfortunately tends to play happy soulmates and instagay with original characters who just happen to be called Quinn and Rachel - and it was just so refreshing to read. It makes me want to know more, like: how/why did they get together? Is this the 1950's we know, or a 1950's dynamic in an otherwise sexuality accepting world? Who fathered Thomas? And immediately, all sorts of scenarios are flying around in my head.

I honestly think the best stories are those that make you think, and appeal to your imagination. I also think it's great to read a faberry marriage story that doesn't end with a walk down an alter and a happily ever after, and rather stays a little more true to realism. I mean, so many stories end with 'and then they got married' as if that's some journey end point, rather than a continuation or even beginning.

I don't even know, I just love this. Of course I want more, but at the same time, my mind is filling in its own blanks from this wonderfully written and starkly heartbreaking snippet of a childhood, and relationship. I don't know what your backstory to it is, but it feels like once upon a time they were in love, and they did have that romantic let's-get-married excitement. It feels like something happened - whether Rachel cheated, fell pregnant, and her career was halted so Quinn had to work to support them, or Rachel settled into a housewife roll and fucked a guy who admired her in replacement of the adoration she secretly dreams of getting for her voice - and instead of truly dealing with it, they just decided to stick it out together, and that's lead to more heartbreak and a build up of resentment. Rachel tries too hard for affection out of guilt and desperation to, perhaps, hold onto what they once had. Quinn doesn't try hard enough, because she just simply can't - it hurts too much to look at Rachel and know she's been with other people, and is some shell of a girl she once fell in love with. From how she interacts with Thomas, I'd say he's a product of Rachel cheating too...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BRAIN? Fuck, I could write about what ifs for a million more words. What an intriguing concept this whole story is! I love it. Er, whether you continue or not I think it's really original and, obviously, thought AND emotion provoking. Hope you don't mind all my wonderings and word vomit! Really great job.
Fate-187 chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
That 's confused me...Rachel cheat?...she pregnant with who?...You said tis is not a girl!peen fic...so is Thomas a child of them?...
Tracy Winston chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
Very nicely done. And the whole "angst without death" thing was right on the money. This was perfect for the Faberry Week prompt. I always love your stories, and this was great as well. :)
Abnab chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
this feels a bit like the hours in how disconnected and distopian it is. It was a good if depressing read. thanks!
srortiz87 chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
Are you going to continue this? The ending didn't make sense to me...
semeolvido chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
great story! hope you'll write a sequel! great angst
mermaiddrunk chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
This is heartbreakingly good. I love the stilted dynamic you managed to capture. So poignant.
littleleaf89 chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
Ouch! That last part hurt. Now I ask myself too "Who?"
iAncientOne chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
Wow...this is a stunner. Definitely not what I was expecting but brilliant nonetheless! So sad on so many levels.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
So, did Rachel cheat? You dont make it very clear if she is pregant by someone else or by Quinn. Part of me thinks she cheated because Quinn is mumbling "who" and it seems like the only plausible explanation, especially since you didnt put in a GP! Warning; but then again, why would Rachel be so calm when essentially admitting to cheating? A little clarity would be nice.
ProfessorSpork chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
I was going to wait until later to give you my thoughts on this, but then you were like "I LOVE YOUR REVIEWS" and obviously my ego took this as some sort of challenge, so now I'm just going to spew words at you. BRACE YOURSELF.

Even though it's ostensibly set in the past, I feel like this is all-too-likely a future for our girls without extensive amounts of honestly and therapy. And it's not violent, it's not dangerous, it's not abusive- it just kills you softly with oppression and tension and words left unsaid. Too often, Quinn just gets a free pass from fandom in a way that Finn or Puck never would, simply because she, um. Has Dianna Agron's face, probably. And this is what happens when Rachel gives her a free pass, too.

One of the worst parts of Quinn becoming her father is that it forces Rachel to become her mother- so really, I'm on Team Thomas, here. Rachel only has so much strength to spread between the two of them, and the prospect of a sequel intrigues and terrifies me. No good can come of this.
MsChloeMa chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
Wait, did Rachel cheat on Quinn? I'm kinda confused cause I skimmed through this quickly to get to a wedding. But it seems pretty good so far:)
redashford chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
Oh. That's real sad. Hmm. I wonder if there would be a part two?
gleelover16 chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
I love how you portrayed them in this era and how angsty it was. Love how you wrote it from the point of view of Thomas and overall really good job :D
29 | « Prev Page 1 2