Reviews for The Rules
Anime4life5 chapter 50 . 12/28/2019
I just spent the last day and a half reading this fanfic after stumbling upon it by accident, and it has to be the best Hetalia fanfic I have read in a long time and one of my all time favourites. I love how you characterised each character and the originality of the story. The writing style is fantastic too. I can’t wait to get started on the sequel!
Anime4life5 chapter 51 . 12/28/2019
I just spent the last day and a half reading this fanfic after stumbling upon it by accident, it has to be the best Hetalia fanfic I have read in a long time, and one of my all time favourites. I love how you characterised each character and the originality of the story. The writing style is fantastic too. I can’t wait to read the sequel
Guest chapter 7 . 5/11/2019
I’m betting that the country Russia has to kill is America, just because that’ll be entertaining
eldwist chapter 51 . 4/14/2019
Wow, and that's a wrap! There are so many things I love about this fic, but first and foremost has got to be your characterizations. I mentioned this in my previous review but you really are masterful at capturing everyone's voices. From the prim and proper England to the fearful, bumbling Italy, each voice was unique and intrinsically theirs. I also loved the suspense building and the incredibly detailed descriptions (gory as they sometimes were :P). It really did a fantastic job of painting the characters' trials and tribulations, and made the sweet escape of home that much more rewarding for those who were able to return.

And speaking of returning home, I am *so* glad Japan is finally home. ;-; Of all those stuck on the island, Japan really did have the most rotten luck. I'm also glad America made it back, although what on what on earth happened between him and England? Did America accidentally kill England? That seems to be the case, but how do you accidentally choke someone? Or did America realize England was trying to kill him, and figured hell, what did he have to lose? But then that would be going against everything America has preached since day 1 on the island. I wonder if this will be explained in the sequel, or if I just simply missed a detail here.

Some other highlights I loved in the latter half of the story was the civil conversation between China and Japan. I'm glad they were able to have a proper conversation and get some things off of their chests. The brotherly bond was real, and as a sucker for familial relationships I'm glad you included that scene! I also loved the final Estonia chapter, even though it devastated me. I always thought Canada would be one of the last remaining sane nations, but as of chapter 49, he has clearly jumped off the deep end. I wonder if his psychological state will be improving in the sequel...

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this! Thank you for writing such a fun and engaging fic!

(I thought I was logged in when I posted this original review, but apparently not... apologies for the double review! Feel free to delete the 'guest' one)
Guest chapter 51 . 4/14/2019

eldwist chapter 31 . 3/24/2019
I've been devouring this fic for the past few nights now and WOW. You have caught me hook, line, and sinker. I love a good battle royale fic, and these first 30 chapters have really delivered!

A general comment is that I love the nonlinear timeline - it really keeps you guessing! One of my fave examples is in chp15 when the Allies meet up with Japan; Japan stumbles over the 'L' in 'Liechtenstein,' and it isn't until the next chapter that you realize Japan stumbled over the 'L' because he was going to say 'Latvia' (which is who he'd really killed just prior to finding the Allies) but for whatever ulterior reason decided to say 'Liechtenstein' instead. The first person limited POV is also great because it further limits the information the reader gets; it isn't until Russia's chapter that we realize Russia did *not* kill Estonia and Latvia... and then not until *China's* chapter that we realize *he* was the culprit. For a plot like this, the nonlinear timeline and POV switches are so effective at furthering the suspense so major kudos for choosing to write your story this way!

I think the moment I really fell hard for this story and started getting really invested in all of the characters probably happened around chp15 when we caught up with the Allies again. I was not at all expecting France to lose his head, but I suppose someone had to the be the first. Japan, merciless as he is, is simply following stone-cold logic, and Russia is just... Russia. He doesn't actually believe in the rules and simply wants to have fun, even if 'have fun' in his definition is murdering other nations.

I've been keeping track of Japan's kills and it looks like, as of chp29, Japan has killed a total of 14 nations, with 4 remaining: Austria, Hungary, Canada, and China. At first I thought it'd be awfully ironic if Japan's person ends up being someone who is already off the island, but the logic doesn't add up (he'd already killed Germany, Belarus, and Switzerland prior to all of them going home, and he didn't need to kill Lithuania because Lithuania was Belarus's person). I'm placing bets on his person being China, but time will tell.

I also really like that a lot of the nations are starting to get desperate. It's easy to say 'no, I'm not going to kill anyone' on day 1 but when you've been starving for a week plus, you start to take more chances. Case in point: Canada. It broke my heart, but he's not wrong. Japan was always right. It's a cold, merciless path to take, but it's the logical one. The best one.

Which actually brings up another point I really like about this story - the question of morality and right and wrong. Japan stands on one extreme, and America on the other. I find myself sympathizing with both, because from a purely logical standpoint, Japan is right, was always right. And from a moral standpoint, it is 100% better to engage in the killing early on when immortality is still guaranteed. But from America's standpoint, it is morally wrong to kill someone regardless of immortality. And he's also not wrong. His perspective is the one I would like to take. But if they never figure out another way off the island, and the nations actually start dying, then was (and is) he morally right? Questionable.

Anyways, this review is getting massively long. It looks like France is officially home, which makes him the first nation to purposefully kill to return home. (Germany and Lithuania were persuaded by Japan and Poland respectively, and Switzerland and Belarus killed France and Lithuania respectively without actually believing in the rules). That's 5/20 nations, which means we're a quarter of the way through... that doesn't sound awful, until you realize that's still 15 nations stuck on the island with quickly dwindling immortality...

Also, great job on capturing all of the character's voices! England's was especially well done, and I can't wait to continue reading this!
Guest chapter 51 . 1/18/2019
This story is absolutely perfect. I love everything about it, especially the lack of focus on romance. I admit, I was sceptical at the beginning (like I always am when it comes to this fandom), thinking this was going to be another story with an interesting premise that will be ruined by shipping, which I am not at all into. Fortunately, this was not the case. Thank you.
sylphana chapter 51 . 12/26/2018
Aaand with this, this fanfic now has 1000 reviews! (Nope I totally didn’t plan this at all. Nope!) Consider this a Christmas present, I guess? (Even tho the authro’s probably not coming back here anytime soon)

But anyways, what a ride! It was just as I remembered it. It was REALLY good. It’s one of the best Hetalia fanfics I’ve read so far and I’m not even exaggerating. The characters all feels right (imo at least), the story is engaging, and I love how you write. Thank you for writing this, really. :)
sylphana chapter 15 . 12/24/2018
I can’t believe I’m spending Christmas eve by reading countries kill each other. Right when my bias got killed too. Time to spend my Christmas seeing my fav died a lot of time again.
sylphana chapter 1 . 12/23/2018
I’ve read this years ago, but I kept coming back to this because of how good this is. Can’t wait to re-experiebce it all over again. XD
Guest chapter 1 . 12/16/2018
I was looking for "101 Rules for Hetalians in History Class" and I found THIS. Instant regret.
Guest chapter 34 . 12/10/2018
Does America think it’s frickin Minecraft or something? Building an airplane? And he DID punch a tree...
Guest chapter 19 . 12/10/2018
I love my Spamano. And the tomatoes.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/10/2018
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
shions chapter 50 . 10/17/2018
Whoa. I'm not really sure how to react since it's a cliffhanger ending, but it sounds like the mystery of the rules will be revealed in the next fic! Guess I have a lot more reading to do than initially expected, not that that's a bad thing!
1,007 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »