Reviews for Tales from the Guild Bar
GreatLight432 chapter 19 . 1/13/2013
*epic facepalm* Oh Joss...you so crazy!

Much rejoicing at seeing another chapter of this collection, DezoPenguin! Love the way you switched things up, and had Joss not trying to vye for Alys' affections this time, too...and it worked just perfectly! Can't wait for more!
MissGardenia chapter 18 . 8/12/2012
Nope, creeeeeeepy. Before he was a little worrying as the kind of stalker-esque character that can't take a hint that hopefully won't advance to attempting certain non-consensual behaviors. Now that worry is quite a bit stronger.
Tolly chapter 17 . 4/18/2012
*pfffffffffft* Oh, these new stories are if anything better than the old ones. I seriously just came this close to spraying coke all over my poor, long-suffering laptop. XD

We only ever got Xenosaga 2 here (damn it), but my Ziggy used that skill more than was maybe healthy.
Tolly chapter 14 . 3/28/2012
*giggle* Now I really want to know what Joss said, if it's making ALYS of all people wonder just how physically possible it is!

I am so, so glad that you put these up, especially the new ones. Whenever I need a laugh or my mood improved, I need only look to Alys, Joss and the bar.

...It's kind of sad that there are a fair few Joss wannabes in my IT course, isn't it?
Martin III chapter 11 . 2/9/2012
Heh, I really enjoyed these three. They don't have the same buildup-to-a-twist rhythm of most of the stories, but the humor's still strong in its own way. "A Lesson Well Learned" is a brief yet highly enjoyable look at Alys's mentoring of Chaz. There's something irresistibly endearing about their relationship, one of the main reasons why Phantasy Star 4 was so successful story-wise.

I also have to give props to "Don't Get All Bent" for one of the best Joss intros thus far. "the man who proved that the big, handsome, athletic, and painfully dumb guy wasn't just a stereotype" - love it.
Martin III chapter 8 . 1/20/2012
Another fun bunch of stories, though the consistent pattern makes them somewhat predictable after a while, to be honest. It's your handling of the repeated elements, such as the narrative introductions of Joss Howland, that makes these entertaining in spite of that.

"Head Over Heels" is probably my favorite of this batch; it breaks from the pattern more than the others and squeezes in some good characterization of Alys.
Guest chapter 8 . 1/20/2012

MissGardenia chapter 8 . 1/19/2012
Y'know, it's kind of weird, but it feels like the Phantasy Star series is vaguely misogynistic.

I never really followed the series (Nintendo devotee back then), but from what I know, it seems like the series loves to have an ostensibly strong female mentor type character die midgame.
GreatLight432 chapter 5 . 12/25/2011
Just saw this compilation, and thought I'd review, seeing as I've read your fics on the Phantasy Star Pages way back when.

First off, the stories are always awesome. This last one(You Set My Heart Ablaze) was brand new to me, and had me roaring, just like the others.

Secondly, I like what you were doing with the author's notes in the first couple of chapters. Might I suggest that you turn them into notes from a bit character at the scene or something?

Look forward to more, assuming you're not done with Joss getting abused...
Martin III chapter 4 . 12/20/2011
About time someone started reviewing in this section again, I should think. Anyway, this is a very entertaining collection thus far. Upstart challenges, quirky trials, and half-witted courtship attempts are all tried-and-true story bases, and your individual ideas for these stories held me in the utmost of suspense right until the end. "Falling For You" is significantly weaker in that regard than the other two, but still fun. Your subtle planting of the wood polish at the beginning of "Pickup Line" gives strength to the ending, yet it's the idea itself that makes it surprising.

These are certainly suitable comic adventures for a memorable hunter like Alys, and you've painted Joss Howland quite vividly as well; it's fun to watch him go down. I'm looking forward to more.