Reviews for Hearths Warming, Hearts Breaking
Ali chapter 3 . 1/16/2013
Very nice! Get to see a heart worming side to Discord and yet he can also stay true to himself. Good job with Discord. Fluttershy? Perfect. Good work using her real personality. A sad story, but one that also brought tears of joy. I rate: 10 out of10.
Anon chapter 3 . 9/2/2012
Waawaawwaa, that was a very good fanfic, I have never cryer this much since my little dashie. I love your discord fanfics, keep on writing.

Your faithful student

Anon
2-D chapter 3 . 7/11/2012
I feel no dent in my masculinity for crying to this last chapter, because anyone who has read this story should be bawling their eyes out of their sockets. This was probably the most emotional story I have read on this site, and I say this because, even though I have read plenty of sad stories, none have managed to bring a tear to my eyes (no matter how much I wanted to let it out.)
To sum it up: bravo. You made me cry the first time on fan fiction.
Lynokai chapter 3 . 1/3/2012
This, and Broken Spirit, are now officially my two favourite Discord fanfictions. And you are now my favourite fanfic writer! XD This was just so beautiful and sad, it made me cry.
Seaside Fantasies chapter 3 . 1/1/2012
Ugh, why must you write such sad stories? You're gonna make me cry. Again. *sniffle*

Love how Discord is caught between being... well, you know, Discord... and feeling sorry for Fluttershy and her Mom.

Lovely story as usual, hun. :)
The Clockwork Hand chapter 3 . 12/29/2011
That. Was. Amazing. Truly, sincerely, absolutely, no-more-adjectives-for-this-sentence-because-it-wouldn't-be-enough-to-describe-this-story-ly.

I'll try to not be as annoyingly re-cappy as I've been in the past chapters, but this is fantastic. I don't care if you've gotten sick of my overly descriptive words of admiration, I'm going to do it anyway. So boo.

The first few moments were, understandably, hard to read. Fluttershy is stricken with grief and bedridden, and the roles are reversed as now Discord, who is utterly inexperienced with comfort that doesn't involve a pie to the face, tries to make her feel better. Not even the threat of opening his presents stirs her (though it does get him a rightful case of nibbled toes from the mouse. Hah, karma.) And you even included an appearance by Ditzy Doo! It certainly cheered me up, at least between the part where she shows up, and Fluttershy reads the letter. All in all, I sense a good story involving that little cross-eyed pony some time in the future. No? Yes? Undecided? I don't care, it's a nice thought.

And to continue. The scene with Fluttershy and her mother at the hospital. I'm honestly at a loss for words to describe it, but I'll try. It was absolutely… emotional. That's the only way to describe it. Besides "uplifting", "dazzlingly moving", and the phrase "just… wow" comes to mind. I felt my own heart grow three sizes just reading it (oh, wrong story? Eh, same context.) And when Camellia began to slip away… I just… I don't like to mention when I'm crying, but I did feel a pipe burst inside while reading that. Very moving.

And the part where they were singing! I didn't think it could have gotten any more touching. Nothing prepared me for Discord- DISCORD, God of Chaos and General Annoyance- knowing the words to that song, at the very least helping them SING it. I guess, in reference to my lame reference a few paragraphs before, Discord is the Grinch. And now his heart has enlarged. D'awwr.

Then at the party, Discord's back to his old self. Presents are had, cupcakes are slaughtered, Rarity is traumatized at the reappearance of her old mineral flame, Tom the Boulder. Then Fluttershy smothers Discord in love, giving him a friendship-doused speech that could not have been any sweeter than if it had been taught very good manners, dunked in sugar, and sent to work at the chocolate factory with gumdrops as payment.

A lot of viewers may think that this review is over-the-top, but that's probably because they haven't read the story. Because I'm sure that if they read this story, they would feel the exact same way. That's the truth. I saw no mistakes.

Wonderful, dear. Just wonderful.
The Clockwork Hand chapter 2 . 12/28/2011
Ahh. Another great chapter. So great, so sad.

It finally comes to a head. A sense of betrayal, coated with sugar-sweet motherly love, a friend in need... all stemming from that awkward accident at the party, one that even Discord himself admitted was a mistake. Even HE wouldn't make a large tree fall down onto a pony, let alone a frail, terminally ill one that happens to be Fluttershy's mother.

The moment after that is hard to swallow, when poor Fluttershy finally puts the pieces together and discovers the lie that Camellia had been feeding her all these years, one she willingly agreed with in order to spare herself the possibility of pain. Unfortunately, all those years of repression bubbled up and boiled over. The poor girl is just so sensitive, her little heart just couldn't bear it.

Then, on the other side is Discord's story. His guilt at the party seals his own decision, and he decides to leave. Trudging through the snow and the ice, he can't stand the idea of staying there, either to cause more chaos (something he lived for, but I suppose that even chaos has its limits) or to see his caretaker when she figures out the whole thing. His character has branched out so much since "Broken Spirit", it's all woven together so realistically that you cannot help but BELIEVE in his sincerity.

Fighting his way through a fierce snowstorm in a forest at night, the irony of Discord almost meeting his end in such a... cold way is nearly laughable, if it wasn't, you know, life-threatening. Then, hearing Fluttershy's cries, knowing that she is in distress is what wakes him up, pulls him away from his self-loathing and when he finds her, it's similar to a father scolding a disobedient child before he does the unthinkable and comforts her. It's inconceivable, but so fitting, how "fatherly" he appears to her at that moment. Perhaps there is a heart underneath all the jokes and the chaos? I guess so.

Let's hope he can manage long enough to help poor Flutter Butter come to grips with her mother's plight.
Galaxina-the-Seedrian chapter 2 . 12/26/2011
Crissy, I luv you! XD
The Clockwork Hand chapter 1 . 12/21/2011
My gosh, this is certainly a new twist. Discord... having actual restraint? SAY IT ISN'T SO.

No, but seriously, this is a great beginning to a seasonal adventure. The emotion is just practically oozing out of every sentence like honey used for house paint. It began so light-heartedly, if cold, with the familiar scene of Fluttershy being tormented by the disorderly god. Presents, holiday stress, preparation for a party, and a visit from her mother (not to mention keeping a god of chaos away from his own presents is a monumental task in itself) adds to the Element of Kindness's already full plate.

Then, the appearance of Fluttershy's sweet mother sticks a large bleeding heart-shaped wedge into Discord's plans, and the elder's frailness is just so evident that the prankster's perfectly-planned evening is completely squashed, bagged, and dunked in an abyss of the darkest chocolate milk. And Fluttershy's apparent obliviousness to her mother's "condition" is horribly realistic. The poor thing would believe anything in order to spare herself from pain.

That being said, it's wonderfully bittersweet. I'm hoping that this will not take the turn that I'm seeing up ahead... but the "Hurt/Comfort/Tragedy" genre label is making me hesitant to read more. :'D And yet I will. Again and again. Wonderful work, excellent everything. Keep those talented fingers and brain nice and warm. Mittens for the matter.

Oh. Also. Happy holidays.
96DarkAngel chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
This is so adorable! 3
Wolfyfox chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
Awww, this is a FUN idea. I love it. Poor Camellia. But of course she seems the type who doesnt want people to feel sorry.
Hanzo of the Salamander 2.0 chapter 1 . 12/20/2011