Reviews for Waiting for the Worms
ifeelmad chapter 1 . 11/29/2012
I don't like this story very much: ( Gavin wasn't very likeable or complex to me. I loved Wolfrums story, but the way you talked about Mykol in One Leg to Stand On annoyed me. You kept calling him emotional and softhearted. I know you didn't mean for it to sound insulting but it ruined my picture of him. If Mykola is emotional and softhearted, he shouldn't be an officer. I understand he's compassionate, but being compassionate towards others is hard work. You showed that in Wolfrums story, but saying Mykola had a softhearted, emotional nature really cheapened that for me. If he's just emotional, then Lady Mina is right. He has no right to project his shallow emotional personality out on the army instead of doing his duty. Like I said, that really ruined the picture I had of him.
I didn't like the scene where Liam hit him, either. It reminded me of an anime scene where a character angsts about how he'sgoing to harden his heart and feel nothing and a friend begs him not to. It didn't fit this story.
But the simplicity of these stories is beautiful. And I'll always love Mikky, even if you messed him up in Bandons story. I can't wait for an update.
As regards Lady Mina, I nevr thought of her as cold hearted. Sure, she was militant, but so were all of Urthbloods officers. I always thought she only appeared more aggressive because of her arrogance. Stil, great job :)
Sgt. Sporky chapter 4 . 12/25/2011
Heya, Sammy.

Ah, poor Kopec. What a way to go. At least he went down fighting, eh? It's what I probably would have done.

I like that Gavin took the flute. I wonder if he'll learn to play it? I think he would. He ought to.

It's been another great fic!

Will we see you again soon?
RedFalconWriter chapter 4 . 12/25/2011
Great. You really should write more, you're really good. I know, I know, Wing does editing, doesn't matter, you're idea's are great, and you execute them well.
RedFalconWriter chapter 2 . 12/25/2011
That darn squirrel's deception really bugs me. Now they're going to have a rat revolt on their paws! I REALLY hope Kopec is okay, and I'm not sure whether I'm grateful or saddened that Liam was killed at Salamandastron. Killy summed up the argument both ways in his last Wolfrum fic review.
Killy-S chapter 4 . 12/24/2011
What a sad, sad story. Broken hips and drowned kids, goodness Sammy.

It did capture the emotion of this exedus of rats.

I really liked how Gavin starts to question what is happening especially at the end.

Thank you for posting this Sammy, while sad it is a great read. Now stay in that box, there's a good Sam.
Killy-S chapter 3 . 12/23/2011
I had been wondering what might happen to the rats who were also slaves to the searats. Thanks for clearing that up.

I dread what is coming next.
Sgt. Sporky chapter 3 . 12/23/2011
These three new beasts are interesting. Volgun isn't morally ambigous in the same way as Urthblood, who did bad things for a good reason. Rather, Volgun did good things for a bad reason. And then did some absolutely horrible things for no other reason than self-gratification. And then tried to do something nice to make it up to the beasts he did these things to.

Korpec is right to sense something wrong. Everything is wrong here...

Let's hope it doesn't come to blows, eh? That would just be terrible.

See you again tomorrow (I hope)!
Sgt. Sporky chapter 2 . 12/22/2011
Heya, Sammy!

I like the fear on the part of the rats. It's quite natural. I can't imagine the horror they'll feel once they see just where they're a-goin'.

Hm, this young rat... He reminds me of... well, me! A knack for a musical instrument, a love of good stories, and a clear lack of social skills. I also like the connection with Liam from "Wolfrum". That was a nice touch. Adds a little element of familiarity to him, dontchaknow!

Grammar improved this chapter, certainly. Well, see you tommorow, I suppose!
Killy-S chapter 2 . 12/22/2011
So this is where I heard Kopec before.

What a sad chapter, such lies being told to the good rats of the village. What has the world come to.

It is all so very very sad.

One little thing I noticed, and I've noticed it in other fics by other writers too. Maid refers to a young unmarried girl. After marriage or loosing ones virginity one is no longer a maid. So Kopec's mother wouldn't be called a ratmaid.
Killy-S chapter 1 . 12/22/2011
Oh goodie you posted this here.

Thank you for breaking this into smaller chapters, my short attention span thanks you.

I had to go back and read this a few times. Your writing is like dark rum fruit cake.(like the holiday tie in )Really yummy, but rich and heavy.

Content wise, this is so depressing.

"Well, the thing is… while we're taking you to River's End, we're also sending some soldiers to Torn, and to a couple of other hamlets and villages nearby, to perform a…" And cue the tears...

They're trying to keep the soldier rats from seeing what their fate will be? Ugh, I'm so rotted with Bloodface right now.

This isn't fair, those rats don't deserve to be sent away from their homes to be slaves.

I don't really notice the missing dialects, I just add them in as I read it.
Sgt. Sporky chapter 1 . 12/21/2011
Heya, Sammy!

Well, that's interesting. I'd never thought about the slaves who were born into the Searat Empire rather than captured. I suppose that, speaking as an amateur psychologist, the way they react to freedom makes total sense, as well as their being trusted with different, complex tasks like that. Some of them may have even been taught to read and become tutors, or taught metalworking and become smiths for all we know. Okay, so maybe not a smith: that would be a bit too risky, seeing as how smiths would primarily make things like mining tools- picks and shovels make nice weapons. Not to mention the heavy sledgehammers they would use in the making. It's an interesting concept: some of these former slaves may have valuable skills to offer their adoptive communities.

On the subject of searats and sexual advances on slaves: I don't know about that. My own personal attitudes on interspecies romance (or just plain sex in this case) have already been made clear, but the general attitude in Mossflower at the time probably isn't so progressive or accepting. Then again, those rich enough to have personal servants would probably be rather... eccentric... as well as wealthy. And I guess a forebeast could be pretty desparate, what with a sea separating him and the nearest available ladyrat.

You're right on the quality, though. This, while still an excellent piece, is not of the same caliber as "Wolfrum" was. There are a few grammatical errors (we're instead of where, and not capitalizing the first letter of a rank), but they're minor. And I beilieve English isn't your first language, is it? That's something I've noticed about European countries. France, Germany, Chez Republic, Sweden, I've met people from all those countries and they all speak English in addition to their native languages. And yet very few Canadians and Americans speak any second language at all. It's actually rather rare here in Canada to find a person (outside Quebec or New Brunswick) who speaks a second language. Which I suppose is a good thing for me personally. I can say whatever I want about someone in French and they won't understand a word, hehehe.

Well, update soon!