Reviews for The Far Reaching Hand
Hellga chapter 1 . 3/7/2003
Too full of philosophic undertones for this simple pharmacy student. Two moments: while Fingolfin's haircolor is not specified anywhere directly, it is most likely he was dark-haired, as was normal for Noldor (after all, he was golden-haired, why there was such a fuss and care to say that Finarfin was golden-haired nearly every time his name was mentioned). Another moment, the singular of Quendi is Quendo. Quendi is "Elves", Quendo is "male Elf"
Cirdan chapter 1 . 10/11/2002
This is a great perspective piece. Of course, Feanor's prophecy did, indeed, come true, that the deeds of the Noldor would be remembered in song. I like seeing how much Fingolfin has changed and how Finarfin has not changed because he hasn't been made wise by the same grueling experiences in ME. The Hand of Feanor reminds me of the Mighty Hand by Rodin, and that, of course, leads me to Rodin's most famous sculpture, the Thinker. The fact such thoughts are evoked by your story shows how it can be read on different levels. How wonderful! It's almost like one of those literature pieces that purposefully make references to known things for the scholarly reader. Also, I like the fact that Feanor considers the blood, the tears, the darkness, the pain-he considers it all worth it. Not just for the songs but the collective experience and depth that the society as a whole has discovered and lived through. The people of Tirion didn't necessarily live through the darkness and troubled times of fighting Morgoth, but they have learned from it all the same. A costly lesson but a worthy lesson to be learned. I like the way Finarfin tries to talk of Fingolfin's deeds, less horrible than those of Feanor, yet Fingolfin's come to understand that his deeds were not on the same level as Feanor's. Hard reality to accept, that big brother is better. The balance in this story is wonderful, and again, you did a good job with the tone. The tone is actually rather mellow compared to the others that you've assumed, but it's perfect as a voice of reflection, and that's just what happens, for the characters as well as the readers
Caporal chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
Feanor was not forgotten, and though the memory of the Elves is long, they would remember his greatness, as well as his fall. And they praise him yet.

I can't help it. You people are starting to make me like the guy. This is good, and the relationship between the two brothers is better. This is a favorite stories candidate.

Morg├╗lwen
Mouse chapter 1 . 7/22/2002
*gapes*

So startling, so disturbing, yet so painfully true. The Hand of Feanor ... I could actually *see* it ... yet it's only a symbol, of the far-reaching effect he had on all his people ... their greatest renown and their most grievous woe ...

Ah, Fingolfin. I just want to ... to comfort him. With hugs. Or candy kisses. Or something.

Finarfin was a tad nastier than I usually think of him. Well not exactly *nasty*, but I always picture this peaceful, floating hippie, haha. Anyway, a very interesting look into his mind. I never really thought about how Feanor might have affected him.

And I have no words to describe your talent.
naltariel chapter 1 . 5/18/2002
Honestly, I dont believe you are 16 ( I read your yahoo page). You have grasp of the world and life much more than ppl 8 times your ages, and of course me.

Now, I have my next favorite author..
Le Chat Noir chapter 1 . 5/12/2002
Incredible. The image of Fingolfin standing in the Hand's shadow at the beginning struck me greatly. There is so much symbolism lurking in the depth of this story I'm sure I've missed some of it. This is amazing work, Joan, and it's great to be gone some days and come back to find such new posts...
jilian baade chapter 1 . 5/9/2002
A lovely thought provoking story. How much all 3 brothers have suffered, each in his own way, and yes Feanor would have loved the giant hand, and maybe though in the Halls of Mandos he must dwell, he has eventually come to recognise the worth of his younger brothers
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 5/8/2002
Lovely story. Great ending For those who know who/what the morning star is, the last line packs a real punch.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 5/8/2002
You published it! Good. It's a lovely philosophical piece.
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 5/8/2002