Reviews for They Shook Hands : PostCanon Revision : Year One
Gholam chapter 1 . 4/14
I have to say this is the best written young Harry I've come across on the site. He's acting childish and Drago isn't some manipulating genius, he's just an 11 year old boy parroting his father and older brother, all in all very well written. Thanks :)
Wasted Potential chapter 10 . 4/12
I really like reading stories where Harry is a Slytherin, or at least makes friends with Slytherins, since it always struck me as absurd that the whole house was pretty much vilified in the books, with the dubious exception of Snape. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to enjoy your story much. You made Hufflepuff house-an entire fourth of a school out to be something unworthy. As if the top school of wizardry in Europe would have 1/4 of it's population be useless. That just seems ridiculous. And your explanation for the purebloods racism towards muggles and muggleborn was too flawed to take. The ratio of muggles that rape, kill, yadda yadda is greater than the wizarding one? Well of course it is. Muggles can't magic clothing or food or shelter for themselves. The worst crimes (always excepting the minority of people that are simply evil) are done by people who are in desperate situations. I don't think there's anyone in the wizarding world that's like that. Even though we read all the time about the Weasley's being poor and having hand me down clothes, they never wanted for food or shelter. I think if magic were taken away from the pureblood classes, they'd soon find themselves just as likely as muggles to do bad things.
Hermione's character did annoy me in the books frequently, but I much prefer fanfics that have someone point out to her how her behavior is coming across. I think having a group of kids condemn her because she didn't think to be sensitive about Harry Potter's lack of parents and because she hasn't learnt to properly filter herself is just ridiculous. They're all 11. I know that personally, I wasn't a tactful person at all at that age. That's something that comes as you grow. She likely assumed that someone as famous as Harry Potter grew up knowing all about himself and being asked the same questions she asked. How was she to know that he was coming into the wizarding world at the same time as she was?
Ron's character is entirely too two-dimensional. It's aggravating seeing him get placed as the Gryffindor Draco-that he becomes the bully that Malfoy's character was in the book. Again, he's 11 and has a bad temper, but I doubt he would have been instantly awful to Harry Potter just because he got sorted into Slytherin. He grew up the son of Order members, likely hearing nothing but good about Harry Potter. With his lust for glory, I'd have much rather believed he'd still try to be Harry's friend despite house affiliation.
Basically, I'm not comfortable reading a story that is so prejudiced against everyone but two houses.
I did enjoy some parts of it though, and hope my review comes off as constructive and not inflammatory.
Mighty Pen 20 chapter 7 . 4/11
Hello there! Your story seemed to have potential, but it feels like i am literally rereading canon, with Harry simply on the bullies' side. Everything else is exactly the same. Some passages even come straight copied and pasted from the first book! And you know what is worse? Harry, as you describe him in your story, is not a bully by nature, he seems to be simply succumbing to peer pressure and do what the others do. In essence, you present an even weaker character than canon did. ( At least, this seems to be the case in the first 7 chapters that i have read )

My above comments aside, i think it would be way more interesting if you wrote about the events that are happening in Hogwarts in a more different fashion. You could make up some of your own as well. And for god' s sake, use your own words. Trust me, it makes a difference.
CycoMW chapter 19 . 4/10
An enjoyable read with some fun characterizations. I especially like Crabbe and Goyle.

Thanks for sharing.
This story was recommended so i gave it a shot. Artististic license to change characters beyond recognition aside, for me tge biggest problem is that i don't like to read about bullies and Harry became Dudley II here when he wrecks revenge on everyone. While Snape does a Vernon and McGonnagal tries to be an aunt Petunia when she ignores all his wrongdoings.
Lord Blood chapter 4 . 3/29
michael corner and anthony goldstein are both ravenclaws. was there any reason you decided to switch them to hufflepuffs instead?
SarahOlivier chapter 18 . 2/11
Tracy and Harry do not belong together
SarahOlivier chapter 3 . 2/11
I can't see Tracey and Harry being together it wouldn't work
RisingPheonixEllayas chapter 1 . 2/2
I've been reading the PRE-Canon Stories, and discovered the Revised ones!

WELL, I AM GONNA READ THE REVISED ONES NOW BECAUSE I LOVE THIS SERIES AND I WOULD RATHER RE READ THAN NOT READ AT ALL
Light Seeker 001 chapter 19 . 1/26
Looks like the Sorting Hat was right all along. Harry Potter WOULD have done well in Slytherin House.
LiaRedRose chapter 19 . 1/7
I absolutely love this story! I sat down and read it in one go. This deserves much more recognition than it receives, it's fabulous! The characters are believable and the plot sticks to canon, while still being an interesting read. You're one of the best authors I've found on the site, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series! Keep up the fantastic work! :)
LegendaryArimaspi chapter 19 . 1/4
One of the best first year stories I've read, giving Harry logical reasons to hate Ron and Hermione, but I wish the differences had changed the timeline more. All in all, next to nothing of the major events were altered at all, just different characters.

In addition, I wish you had given more of an explanation for Blaise's leaving Hogwarts. It just seems like it didn't affect his friends at all.

other than those and a couple other little things, great beginning
Yusuke Urameshi - Mazoku chapter 19 . 1/2
Love it!
Guest chapter 19 . 12/31/2013
This is so...aggressively, almost creepily anti-canon. The chip on the shoulder is pretty visible. It's okay to posit a "what if...?" scenario but it needs to be in character-I *really* don't think Ron would be that much of a drama-mongering jerk. And what do you have against poor Hagrid? And we know Draco had no gift for friendship or he would've had someone besides Crabbe and Goyle. It's coming across as some kind of fan wish fulfillment, with the huge Slytherin pile of friends who all get along and go on picnics and help each other and no one ever seriously challenges them. This is much more believable with a smaller group (I.e., in canon, there are just 3)-with a larger group the potential for drama rises exponentially. Try not to take the first book quite so literally-JKR wrote it very much in the Roald Dahl vein, it's more fantastic and less grittily realistic than the later books.
Eberhardt chapter 5 . 12/28/2013
Hah! No rule 6, eh, Bruce?