Reviews for Red Letter Partings
Lirazel chapter 1 . 3/22/2008
I know you wrote this forever ago, but I'm relatively new to the world of Buffy, and I just now stumbled upon this.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that this is the most intense, unflinching, and...balanced(? is that the word I'm searching for?) reaction to "Seeing Red" that I've ever read. The fact that it's written to Dawn makes it all the more important and truthful to me. That he would sign it with his true name does the same thing.

Thank you for writing it. It helped me deal with that episode which was, as you say, the most painful thing I've ever watched.
Ben is Glory chapter 1 . 5/24/2003
I needed to tell you how much I loved this. And the end line, about "Watch for the monsters in the night, especially the ones you think you know." God, I loved that, and I got all teary :( Thank you for another wonderful story.
Son Of Evil chapter 1 . 1/7/2003
Interesting. I like it.
mjaw chapter 1 . 11/27/2002
Okay, for the first time in, if not forever then in a REALLY long time I'm sitting in front of this screen bawling my eyes out. How the hell can charachters on TV promote these kinds of feelings? I mean, it's laughable, if not dead on SAD! But it's the truth, ain't it?

What you wrote at the top about the episode forever to live in damnation to me was a direct description of how I felt and still feel about it. Guess we have some things in common. *trembly smile* The acting of that scene was so heartbreaking, Sarah was skillful as always and James did such an incredible portray of the desperation Spike was suffering. Still can't believe it happened, but...

Neways, just wanted to let you know this moved me more than a lot ever has simply because it so reflects on my own beliefs. I guess it's like that, you fall in love with something you can picture clearly and to picture it you have to be able to believe it could happen.

SO good! Thank you for sharing it with the masses.

All My Love,

Annie.
fastpilot chapter 1 . 8/14/2002
Excellently written. Unflawed.

I have to disagree slightly in your take on what was going on in Spike's head in the bathroom scene. I've made myself watch that twice with my eyes open, trying once to see things just from Buffy's POV, and then from Spike's.

I know Joss and others at ME have referred to the bathroom scene as an attempt at rape, and I have no doubts that is what they intended or that that was how Buffy (and honestly too) took it. But looking at Spike's eyes and face, I don't think that's how he meant it, I don't think rape was ever his motive. In a season that, while still the best fiction on television, struck as being put together by an ill led committee; James Marsters in my view pulled just barely back from casuing an irreparable rupture in the evolution of his character. Future Spuffy would not be believable or tolerable if not for the lack of malice in his face as he drove against her on the floor.

I love to see an opinion I disagree with so very well propounded. Thank you.
Lux1 chapter 1 . 5/29/2002
Wow. I'll say it again. Wow. That was a wonderful letter. It was so perfect and honest to who I think Spike is at this point. Plus, it's always nice to see Dawn/Spike interaction... the friendship that TWTB seem to have forgotten. Anyway, fabulous fic. I anticipate reading more of your stories soon. :o)
Jo chapter 1 . 5/11/2002
Thank you, I needed this. The letter was very good, I think you capture spike very well - trapped between the monster and the man, but what I really appreciated was your introduction. It was great to see that other people feel the same way. This was the first time I had felt anything for Buffy all season. I still hope that Spike will find his path to redemption and Buffy is a part of that but I have never been able to believe that there will be a happy ending - somethimes I try and delude myself but the cynic wins in the end. I also wonder if the only way Spike will ever be able to prove himself is to die a hero's death. The whole thing with Spike is love and I loved the parallel you made between Love being his human death and the possibility of it becoming his vampire death. Thank you again and I echo your cry - I love and I hate this show.
scarletrose3 chapter 1 . 5/9/2002
Thank you. Thank you. I am a Spike lover too, I was also very upset about Seeing Red. I really hate the writers right now. You and the rest of the S/B writes out there make thing a little easier. I can just hope it all ends with them in love and soon!
SpicywingsTonie chapter 1 . 5/9/2002
Rashaka, my sweet, beautiful soul: First, the letter. My God, how incredibly beautiful and tender and mournful and loving, and hopeful? I think you captured the pain of this man so well, because like so many of us hopeless shippers, you see the potential he is! He is Passion. He is Intensity.

Don't be too angry at him for what occurred. It was not the act of a malicious killer, but the act of a man so consumed with his love, that he could no longer stand the pain and confusion in which he lived. Remember, for 120 years he was Spike, with everything that meant, including the evil-but he was rewarded for that evil by his sire and even his grandsire-Dru loved him (as well as she could). With change comes confusion. We are comfortable with the familiar and fear the unknown. He is in the unknown right now, trying to figure out just who he has become and who he has lost. But, I believe there is more here than meets the eye. I believe he will find the real man has always been with him. I see him as Buffy's salvation.

Anyhow, the letter was wonderful. You are a beautiful writer. Thank you.
bubonicplague1348 chapter 1 . 5/9/2002
Beautiful, ambiguous, and moving. I'm not much for long reviews, so I'll just say that this is a stellar piece of writing.
becky chapter 1 . 5/9/2002
that scene was so painful to watch and i was shocked for hours after i saw it. it was... so awful. i saw all my B/S dreams shattered! but reading this made me feel better - we gotta hope they work it out huh? great fic.
Rashaka The AUTHOR chapter 1 . 5/9/2002
Thank you everyone for the detailed comments here! It's really great to get so much positive feedback from fellow Spike fans and fanfic readers/writers. And if you guys want to hear som great commentary of Seeing Red, you should go to Isabelle's B/S forum, Crumbling Walls. The stuf said there really gives perspective on the characters and the show.

1) "William Terrence Beckerson or WTB, William The Bloody. :)" -nottheslayer

Me: WOW! I didn't even plan that! That's so cool! I just thought Terrence would be a good middle name for him... hehe... ;D

2) "Okay, my way obsessed with Spike self noticed there were 1880 words in this, which is the year that Spike was turned into a vamp," -Kelley: The Self-Toastable Pop

Me: haHA! That is even COOLER! I SO did not plan that, let alone notice it! Of course I'm going to totally claim I did now... great eyes to catach that, Kelley. And BTW, 'Self-toastable"? Wicked funy name.
nottheslayer chapter 1 . 5/9/2002
I echo your sentiments about Spike and the rape scene wholly. What I love about this season, about Joss' direction, is that EVIL (four letter word that it is) isn't necessarily rooted in demons and vampires. The major villains this year are all human. What Spike almost did to Buffy wasn't a Demon Evil, but a Human Evil. You conveyed that very well in your writing. And I like the little touch you added at the end, William Terrence Beckerson or WTB, William The Bloody. :)
Terri chapter 1 . 5/9/2002
Absolutely great fic. The scene upset me, but, their entire relationship has been violence and sex laced. I no longer mad at Spike, he broke, no excuse. But his whole history with Buffy includes violence. Most during the last season that she initiated, his showing guilt, horror

and remorse at what he almost did give me hope for both Spike's redemption and S/B.

Thanks again for writing.
Addie chapter 1 . 5/8/2002
WOW! That was really good. It made me cry and I really wish that had happened on the show. I agree with you about "Seeing Red." It was hard for me to watch the bathroom scene and I knew it was going to happen. Thanks for this fic I really enjoyed it.