Reviews for for the first time
Debbie W chapter 1 . 9/30/2014
Makes me want to go buy some lemon drops! The start of a lifetime love. You wrote it beautifully. I am in awe!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/22/2013
What a wonderful way to get to know someone that you are destined to spend the bulk of your life with. Well done.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
You're an extremely talented writer. I loved this.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/7/2013
Great, compelling account of Mat and Kitty's(my favorite couple) initial meeting.
LadyofDodge chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
Just getting around to reading this, and it is absolutely delightful. There are so many great lines that I can't begin to name them all, but some of my favorites are:

"She laughed back at him, knowing she fit right in with the rest of the town's liars."

"He lives by the gun, Kitty, any man that lives by the gun...well, he's bound to die by it, too."

And, just for the record, your facts are correct in regard to Kitty's having been to San Francisco. In "The Love of Money," season 6, Kitty mentions that she WAS in SF and would love to go back. Also, that is where she first met Danny, of the season 15 episode, "Danny."
Cruelest Sea chapter 1 . 12/25/2011
A wonderful imagining of their first meeting. Beautiful story.:)
sonya c chapter 1 . 12/25/2011
Such a nice beginning for them! It had all the right ingredients...romance, drama and my personal favorite, angst!
lostcowgirl chapter 1 . 12/24/2011
It's a very poignant story. I enjoyed it thoroughly. The rules you establish for the Long Branch under Bill Pence's ownership are the same ones I imagined. You also gave me a plausible explanation of how Kitty came to be the saloon bookkeeper during that first year and his partner before her second year ended.

However, I have a few continuity problems with it and a few differences of opinion. During the course of the show Kitty mentioned she'd never been to San Francisco, so she couldn't have been coming from there. Secondly, she was 10 when her father's friend Pan took her in at her gambling house and became a second mother to her. It was Pan who taught Kitty all she knows about cards and gamblers, but she was still 12 when she had to leave Pan. Kitty at one point mentioned a local ranchers wife having worked with her in Abilene, so I always assumed that's where she came to Dodge from. Then there was her monolog during the 3-part The Bullet episode. She reminisces about their relationship starting with that first sight of each other to a, she thinks, sleeping Matt and tells him that he didn't notice her before continuing on. His reply, when she ends her tale of "the world's longest non-permanent relationship," is "I noticed, Kitty, I noticed." In that description Kitty's eating breakfast and Matt walks in by himself while she's there.

As to Matt, he was already the US Marshal for Kansas when he left Texas. I always felt at the time that he was only the Deputy in Stryker's mind. It was a face-saving ploy by City Marshal Stryker who couldn't accept that the much younger Dillon, being a federal officer, was actually his superior brought in to clean up Dodge City. As you note in your story Chester, the jailer, recognized this by calling him Mr. Dillon. After Stryker's conviction, Matt took over as City Marshal, remaining as US Marshal headquartered in Dodge City, and made Chester his assistant, not just the jailer, paying him from his own pocket. When Kitty arrived in town Matt was getting over his relationship with Leona (Lee) by becoming even more married to his badge. He may have been friends with Ruby, but he's not a publicly demonstrative man and so would never have kissed her in that way at the Long Branch. However, I believe he could have been introduced to Kitty by Ruby in the way you describe and Matt, afterwards would have introduced her to Doc.
mahc chapter 1 . 12/24/2011
Ah - very sweet! Romance, angst, and warmth! Thanks for sharing.

MAHC
SingerMe chapter 1 . 12/23/2011
An interesting version of how Matt & Kitty met. You have a wonderful way of painting the story so we're not just reading it, we're seeing it. Good job!