Reviews for Many endings
The BritCrit chapter 1 . 11/18/2015
First thing's first, I love the introduction "If I could time travel, I'd use it for a better purpose than turning Danish/Norwegian monarchs and writers into my personal slave". I also love the premise of exploring what life as a "Daughter of the Air" is like for the unnamed Little Mermaid of Hans Christian Andersen's tale, and seeing how she reacts to Disney's TLM. It is probably one of the best ideas for a Little Mermaid fanfic ever.

The "Daughter of the Air" ending allowed Andersen to give his mermaid something resembling a happy ending (She can express emotions freely, speak, travel the world, and is now basically immortal) whilst keeping her "Death", and I personally prefer it to the more conventional Sad ending of the "Original" edition. You certainly capitalise on the more unusual features of the mermaid's new life as a "Daughter of the Air", although I doubt that she would have the ability to casually assume a physical human body in the way she does here.

The central sequence in this story is the mermaid seeing Disney's film. This was generally a great scene, with excellent description that really gives an insight into the mermaid's feelings, but I have a number of problems with your portrayal of the her reaction. As a fan of Disney's film, I am about to get very defensive of it...

1. "She Wouldn't Cry, that Would Confuse the Children" - Many people cry at the end of Disney's film (Though to be fair, they do so for significantly different reasons). Just because it's a happy ending doesn't mean it's free of sad aspects, and Triton letting Ariel go is pretty moving.

2. Her dismissal of Ariel as a "Spoiled Princess" who wouldn't have submitted to a deal as extreme as hers - Andersen's mermaid never had her most valued possessions destroyed by her father, and I think Ariel would have been willing to agree to anything to get away from Triton and become a human. For all the arguments she gets into with her dad, Ariel is not as far removed from Andersen's mermaid as you think. After all, you say that Andersen's mermaid is defined by her curiosity, and Ariel is just as (if not even more) curious.

3. I'm not keen on your suggestion that Andersen's Mermaid was a redhead. There's a reason why most portrayals of the character give her blonde (Or sometimes dark) hair - it's a colour that fits the "innocent and Otherworldly" nature of the character better. Ariel was depicted as a redhead because there were enough blond mermaids out there, and it helps establish Disney's version as being very different from the conventional story (in case the reggae-singing crab did not demonstrate that already!) .

To be fair, Andersen's mermaid is always going to haunted by "What Could Have Been" and seeing Ariel end up with Eric would definitely make her feel upset that she wasn't able to emulate the romantic ideal Disney's film presents. It's just that I hate the tendency of Andersen fans to portray Disney's story in an extremely negative manner. That said, this was a strong scene, and the mermaid's realisation that her Sea-Witch exploited her naivety as ruthlessly as Ursula exploited Ariel's was depicted excellently.

From there, we get another well-written sequence where the Mermaid says goodbye to all the merfolk from her former life, spying on her family (Mermaid hair grows slowly, doesn't it?) and stands up to the sea-witch for a final time. The scenes of her exploring modern-day Copenhagen to find her prince's tomb also work, but there is one troubling bit of historical inaccuracy in this section. For Christian VIII to be the Prince of Andersen's story and Charlotte Frederica (The "Raven-haired" wife who cheated on him) to be the Temple Princess, Andersen's tale would have to be set between 1802 (When Christian turned 16) and 1806 (When he married Charlotte). However, you state that the story took place 175 years ago. Assuming this fanfic is set in 2011, this means that Andersen's mermaid became a Daughter of the Air in 1836 (Just before Andersen wrote his story). This seems like a minor problem, but it undermines your attempts to attach the Little Mermaid's tale firmly to Danish history.

The ending is sweet. I like the idea of Andersen's mermaid trying to give others the romantic happy ending she never got, and, as a Londoner, I enjoy the fact that she's beginning to fulfil her "new purpose" in London.

I think this is a very good fanfic, and I'm sorry if I spent the majority of the review pointing out minor flaws. Overall, the quality of the description and creativity of the idea definitely make up for them.
Hayden Avery chapter 1 . 3/23/2015
Interesting to think about, well dome
Abby and Liv Snigglebottom chapter 1 . 7/12/2012
This story was awesome sauce! It's so great that someone actually mixed the movie and the book, and so well! I love the book, and I love this "what if?" thing. To the favorites list!
Disneyhpwitch chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
i'm a bit confused of the ending sentences concerning the london underground
zpplnchick chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
This was good. Very good.
Cruelest Sea chapter 1 . 1/10/2012
Unusual and fascinating, very well done.
gahlifre chapter 1 . 12/25/2011
That was truly amazing. What a wonderful way of mixing the story and the movie together!