Reviews for Over an Open Fire
gref chapter 1 . 4/19/2014
Character motive is weak and out of characters. why kaguya suddenly interesting with christmas party although she is that old and used to live secluded for thousands years? her personality should be to dark. it's make no sense to have dance and band in gensokyo even more in the middle of lost forest i wonder how the guest manage not to get lost, and the way people of gensokyo cope with christmas party is OOC too and although kaguya just found out about christmas from eirin book, again why is she excited over christmas party? I personally baffled at what exciting about is. it make no sense and doesn't fell like in gensokyo at all.
Fleija chapter 1 . 2/12/2013
Just went through this story once more. I do love a nice ol' bedtime story elevated by the drama of two immortal archrivals :3 Excellent work as usual.
Another Duck chapter 1 . 11/12/2012
I was looking through the Touhou fics, and found this one. Not too long to Christmas again.

Overall, it was very enjoyable. While I don't necessarily write these two the same way you do and the way I interpret them differs on a few points, it didn't do a single thing to prevent me from enjoying this fic.

One of the more amusing parts were how Mokou were getting killed over and over again, and yet she was the happy one and Kaguya the miserable one.

One of the less amusing parts was the somewhat lackluster ending, though I still liked Keine there. Then again, I'm terrible at endings myself.

Also, I really liked that both of them realised how screwed up they were themselves, without trying to somehow excuse or avoid it.
JustYui chapter 1 . 4/2/2012
Stories that star these two are always such charming tales.

I laughed really hard during Mokou's countless attempts to break into Eientei, and even harder when I learned they were all in three days.

And...I detect a person by the name of Yagami. Is that so~

As for Keine at the end, my mind was absolutely blown. As per usual for you, it's a wonderful story and I could read this forever.

On a completely unrelated note, I've lost track of where I was in Imperfect Metamorphosis...guess I'd better start from the beginning :D
WillieG.R chapter 1 . 2/15/2012
And I ended up writing the review anyway. Yes, I know, I took long to read this. ORZ I'm sorry. *Ahem* Anyway...

First off, if you hadn't said so before, I swear I would think you hate Mokou, and love killing her. But then I also realized that be hypocrisy of me, because I laughed to many times, so hard whenever she failed her infiltration attempts, my ribs started hurting. I don't know if you intended this to be humorous, but I laughed.

I must say, that blabbermouth rabbit got off easy. I thought Eirin would have injected him with something that would mutate him horribly... but considering what happened, I think it was ok... He still got off easy. Ah, but I have to admit I did feel sorry for Kaguya. All she wanted was to have a Christmas party, and there is Mokou to make sure, though dark hilarity filled with death, that said venture would be an arduous one. That is, until Eirin got the "go" order.

Ah, I don't blame Mokou for fearing that Lunarian Pharmacist. After all, she's so damned cold, cunning, her mind-f***ing prowess is second to none, and SHE HAS SYRINGES! Those things are EVIL! Ah, but enough of that.

I have to admit, there were so parts that confused me, once where you Mention Mokou is looking at Mokou, and other errors like that. Mind you, they didn't hinder me too much, just pointing it out in case you didn't notice. Anyway, very nice work, a lovely Christmas special. And sorry I took this long to read it. I still enjoyed it thoroughly, even though it's February XD!
Ascoeur chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
Took me an hour to finish this story, but it was SO WORTH IT! ! !

It was hilarious! And it had its cute moments :)! You seriously did a good job keeping Kaguya and Mokou in character! I love their love/hate relationship too ;D! But I'm a yuri fan... so you can guess which half of the balance I'm leaning towards as far as they're concerned :P

This was a great story! I hope you write lots more. You're a talented author!

_/ Bye
Xanaischemical chapter 1 . 12/29/2011
This story took me all morning to read, but it was worth it! I can't even begin to type how magnificent it was 8D Happy (late) Holidays! Yay Keine!
ColinatorGX chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
This story was pure undiluted awesome. Great job with this!

Happy Holidays! 3
Vrock8 chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
Okay, let’s review this thing, in a biased and opiniony way!

What I liked: Kaguya, Mokou, Eirin. Excellent characterization, motivation, dialogue, very tasteful and subtle humor on Eirin’s part.

What I found to be okay/meh: Mokou’s failure (death) montage. It was meant to cross the line twice, it was meant to be hilarious, but for me personally it just hovered around the line and got me a few chuckles.

What I didn’t like: ending. “Anti-climax is better than catastrophe”? Hell no. Either everything fails and everyone dies or everything works and they live happily ever after (reconcile for a single day and have the damn party together). What I’ve seen here was writer cop out, with Eirin as a cop and a villain. Realistic? Yes. Fun? No.

And overall: Yeah, I liked it. It’s definitely worth a read, just for character study it is.
Psykoakuma chapter 1 . 12/25/2011
To me this kind of story is a perfect Christmas story.

The only warming my heart needs comes from the flames of fiery passion.

Be it hate, love, bitterness, despair, or even an existential crisis - the expression of these emotions is the defining grace that separates life more evolved from that which is purely animal.

Merry Christmas Mokou-tan and Kaguya-hime. I wish you both warmth and comfort this holiday.

And thank you for this story. Such a wonderful Christmas present.
Wicked Hermit chapter 1 . 12/25/2011

Really well written! I love how the story flows, and how you show Mokou and Kaguya's relationship (which you worked hard on, it seems - and it SHOWS) and Eirin was love and asdfghjkl; what an excellent holiday present.

I admit I wouldn't have clicked on this if it was Mokou/Kaguya, but seriously I'm glad I took the time to read this.

MORE KAGUYA. plz. no? :okey:
Achariyth1 chapter 1 . 12/25/2011
Got enough of a Red vs. Blue feel on Mokou's many deaths that I started to hear her "son of a-" in Church's voice instead.

Decent framing story. Nice to see Keine in it, even as a long girl. As for the rest of it, there are some days I really wish Kaguya and Mokou would just kiss and make up. This wasn't one of them.
Azure Xuchilbara chapter 1 . 12/25/2011
Leave it to Mokou to take up the role of 'the Grinch' in this tale of a lonely NEETeruyo wanting to celebrate Christmas...

I cannot say anything since this is perfectly written...Although I will say that Eirin can F*CK UP Moko-tan even without resorting to anything...

Hehe...Makes me wonder if Eirin can use Mokou for her experiments (i.e. I am thinking of yuri crack-pairing hot smex between the good lolicon doctor and Moko-tan)~

ThisTroperFromGensokyo chapter 1 . 12/25/2011
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year TF! Good tidings to you and to your family.

I must admit, I was actually monitoring FF's Touhou Section the whole day for your story and I was not disappoint. XD

True I still would say AVNC was far more heartwarming that this one but hey, this story has its own merits and it would be very unfair if we compare it to that with AVNC.

So what did I learned from this story?

First off, I have now seen a convincing argument as to why Mokou would never target Eirin. It actually makes terrifying sense that after all things have been done, Mokou and Kaguya's only way out of the lonely road of immortality was through Eirin and that's why they highly regard the Lunarian Doctor.

However this would bring us to Fridge Logic or Fridge Brilliance. If Eirin does have the antidote to the Hourai Elixir, then she must have all along knew a solution to the Satsuki Incident. It is not at all hopeless. I mean given her status as a genius, it would not take us too much dose of hand-waving to say that if ever there was a solution for the Satsuki Incident, it would most likely come out from her and not from Yukari or Reimu or anybody else. If Reisen is adamant on saving Satsuki then her best bet is hidden in the research notes of her (former) mentor.

Again there is still a big chance that Satsuki and Rumia would come out alive and well from all the sh-t thats happening in IM.

Which by the way I should congratulate you of introducing a very subtle background for our dear "deep within" heroine that is not Rin. I am absolutely loving all the speculations. so nanoka? XD

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Eientei all isolated and in hiding and stuff from not only from the Lunarians but also from the rest of Gensokyo? I mean Kaguya was only recently inducted to the ringleaders despite that Eientei has existed for a thousand years so how is it then that a place such as it could still remain hidden and yet still able to host a huge Christmas party?

If we follow the logic here, Eientei's Christmas party might as well be the first Christmas party in Gensokyo and the celebration was adopted by the other denizens of Gensokyo as the years passed.

By the way regarding Mokou helping out on a human orphanage and stuff, I can't help but notice it kind of has the same premise as that music video "Search and Cave" were Keine was defending the human village and was kindly helped by a passing Mokou. There was a child in that music video that was taken hostage and it was Mokou that rescued her out. Did you take inspiration from this or is it something else?

Anyways it is all not too far from canon for Mokou to be the cool big sis to the human children from the human village; I too look at her that way. A kind hearted person to the masses and a cold hearted killer to one person.

I think this is all that I have for now TF! Again wonderful story, very informative to the lives of our two beloved immortals and Merry Christmas!
Akal chapter 1 . 12/25/2011
This is a very good read to start the day, thank you very much, the ending part with the kids was truly delicious if you know what I meant.

Want an invite for Archive of Our Own?

I hope you may have a happy holidays and a happy new year.