Reviews for Dear Authors
marmota-b chapter 44 . 10/31/2014
Well. It does stop being interesting at this point, I'm afraid. Those who critique you do have a point - this is content better suited to a forum or something. But I like your use of Pulverlentus Siccus. There's a lot of potential in him (for being very dry, but it's potential).
marmota-b chapter 43 . 10/31/2014
I didn't realise what "Maria Susanna" stood for until I read a review that quoted it. Clever. :D
marmota-b chapter 42 . 10/31/2014
songsmith brings up an interesting point... Maybe it's like the flag of Wales, only with a lion.
marmota-b chapter 38 . 10/31/2014
Old English not only has bizzare spellings, it has a lot less Romance-based words (you know, useful Narnian words like "courtesy") and a lot more inflection. (It's been gradually weeded out of the Grammatical Garden. Which is precisely why there is still a special form for "thou" acting as an object.) And yes, between Old English and Early Modern / Shakespearean, there was Middle English and even that has funny spellings and occasionally requires a glossary. But I guess you know that. I just love discussing language. :-)
marmota-b chapter 36 . 10/30/2014
The mistake the movies make is assuming strong female character action lady. So they want to make Susan a stronger character and forget that her not shooting to kill is strong enough.
marmota-b chapter 31 . 10/30/2014
Maybe the chapter heading should be "Jack", not Clive. ;-)
There is uncomfortable clothing in Narnia during Miraz's rule (see Gwendolyn). I'd exempt Telmarine rule before Caspian from this. But I bet Caspian hated his constricting clothes if he wore any and made sure no one would have to wear their kind by starting a fashion for comfortable clothes. :D (Wait, I think I should write that fic.)
marmota-b chapter 26 . 10/30/2014
I should start using "weed in the Grammatical Garden" to refer to things like that. "Using 'si' instead of 'jsi' in place of an auxiliary verb in second person singular past tense in Czech is an abominable weed in the Grammatical Garden." Okay, maybe not.
marmota-b chapter 25 . 10/30/2014
And while there's no proof of Spanish blood in Telmarine veins, there is a definite proof of the blood of some inhabitants of a Pacific island. So there's that. Maybe he should speak some Polynesian language.
marmota-b chapter 19 . 10/30/2014
This is perfect! Now I want more Pulverulentus Siccus fic. I wonder if there is any?
Oh. There's also this: .
marmota-b chapter 16 . 10/30/2014
Aaand he also mentions it in Prince Caspian, if maybe not in so many words. (But chronologically, that's after The Horse and His Boy for him, and he does not have to say it in so many words to his siblings.) It is perhaps that one scene where one could get ideas, because he does seem flustered; but that could just as well be simply his standing against the others' opinion...
In fact, I've always admired book Edmund a lot, specifically for the way he brings it up in HHB.
marmota-b chapter 14 . 10/30/2014
Hm, interesting. I have never thought to consider mental hurt. (And never come across a story that did, so.)
marmota-b chapter 9 . 10/30/2014
Likely, maybe. But I don't think the books ever state Edmund's hair colour, so I'm free to keep imagining him dark-haired, as per the original Czech illustrations. :-) There's a confusing passage in The Last Battle that, if you read very carefully, actually refers to Digory Kirke.
In a story I'm writing - except it will take long before I get to Tashbaan -, Edmund and Peridan have dark hair and everyone else in their company is fair-haired. I believe that still counts as "most" and given their fairer skin, they would still stand out in Calormen. Shasta-Cor recognises Peridan "at once" in Narnia from what I think is still a distance, which suggests he might be in some way distinctive. But I'm getting too off topic here.
Thalion Estel chapter 46 . 10/19/2014
Too funny! These were hilarious, and yet at the same time, they are sobering in the sense that people actually need to be reminded of these truths. Why can't all fanfiction writers respect Lewis' work as much as you do? :) Great job! It was a pleasure to read.
Witty Lady chapter 27 . 9/13/2014
Oh, Edmund! I just feel bad for the Pensisive brothers that have so many love interests!
Guest chapter 46 . 7/17/2014
Dear Calyn,

Some of your complaints/advice are very reasonable. Others are humourous and others, well, could be let go. :) Fanfiction is meant for stretching our imaginations, after all. Fussing at budding writers for getting a single plot point wrong or tweaking it to fit a story seems...counterproductive. But, anyway, you do make some great and most pertinent points. Your profile's a bit bewildering, though. What is "Psarnia" supposed to mean? Psych-Narnia? Movie-verse Narnia?

B