Reviews for War Guilt
schnee-roza chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
This is…just so beautifully and simply written. And German-speaking America? I approve so much.

When America says "No more Europe for me," I get the feeling it's a reference to when Congress would ultimately reject the USA's entry into the League of Nations. Am I correct? 3

You did a very nice job with this, and I'm definitely adding it to my favorites. .
Guest chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
Awesome
PancakesAndGilbird chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
Wow. I love this - for many reasons.

1. You showed a mature America without making him out of character.

2. Its historicly accurate without shoving it in our faces.

3. IT'S DAMN WELL WRITTEN.

You should be very proud of this fic!
vennumberten chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
Well done! I really like the way your characterized Germany and America. Too many fics make America seem like a massive idiot, and I appreciated the intelligence and compassion he showed here. I really enjoyed it :)
Blue Wallpaper chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
Bah, festivities. You could see it as "another year Germany doesn't have to pay it's WWI debt," and call that festive. :) Although I cringe thinking how much it must have to pay back for what happened merely twenty years later... I had heard that Germany had repaid its WWI debt last year, and almost didn't believe it! It really shows just how much money it had to repay (on top of everything else going on in the near 100 years since the end of the war).

Now that I think of it, that would be a fantastic spin-off to this story: Germany comes in to a World Meeting (or goes to France's house or calls another meeting between England, France and America) and plops down the last bit of payment rather dramatically. (Then France makes some lewd comment like "For you Allemange, my services are free, ahonhon...") and the story progresses from there. ;)

Back to this story though-it sounds like you have extensive knowledge of the outcome of the war, especially from a European perspective (I do too). So I really appreciated all of the information you included in this story that other authors may not have known or thought to include, like how France was incensed that it lost an entire generation of men, the Germans and Hessians who had settled in the colonies, or even that Germany hadn't really interacted with America much. One of the reasons why I clicked on this story was simply because I hadn't thought about when America and Germany would have first met. On the whole, this is a fantastic one shot!

PS-Loved the sympathy and understanding America has. Though I love the heroic part of this character, it's always refreshing to see a smart, non-oblivious America. :)
Daydreamer63 chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
I absolutely love this oneshot. It brings so many points together about WWI that were completely awful. I can't help but totally agree with you on America's rant about treaties. They're supposed to make peace- not breed a whole new generation of hate!

In general, I really liked the portrayal of America as well as his history. The way he knew German, to his discomfort and mild disgust at France and England was all pulled together well. Canon!Hetalia doesn't really portray this side of revenge and bloodthirst on the countries, but you have done a remarkable job. Well done!
21 | « Prev Page 1 2