Reviews for A Sky of Starlight
kornerbrandon chapter 44 . 9/11
Terrific as usual.

I liked the teasing between Joe and Alice the most, I think. Just one of those cute little moments I like. Of course the rest of the chapter was great too, but I am hoping for more cute moments etween them, as is my girlfriend.

Can't wait for the next chapter!
Darius chapter 43 . 8/1
Well, I watched the movie for the first time quite recently and I absolutely loved it. Since I started looking for fanfictions, yours is definitely the best I have found so far and I have somehow managed to catch up (I skim-read many parts of it, so I'm sorry about that). I hope you keep going with this because so far, it has kept me guessing as to what's going to happen next.

Anyway, the ending to this chapter was funny and cute although was that a scar that Alice had or something that Joe imagined?
Emily chapter 41 . 6/18
I love the story so far! I was wondering if maybe you could add a scene where they all get captured by the military and are tortured a little bit but end up making an escape plan. But other than that it's a great story! I wish it would go on forever because not much people write super 8 stories anymore .
moviefan-92 chapter 41 . 5/9
I've never see the movie Seven Samurai, but I saw the anime; good series.

So, this alien, it seems like it's following the "sacrifice a few to save the whole" concept. A difficult thing to do. If I'm understanding this properly, the universe is decaying or falling into a state of chaos, and in order to prevent/delay/reverse this, it's killing other life forms and harvesting their life energy to counteract the problem. I've seen his idea before, but it's a good plot device. It makes you question of "evil" the villain is. I guess what really paints it as a villain is it's unwillingness to even try and find another solution and uncaringly carrying out these genocides, even if it is for the "greater good". I can also see why it would deem humanity as destructive, but as Joe and the others pointed out, the actions of a few aren't the same as the whole. It's just a shame that a single person, like some stupid power hungry dictator like Hitler, can cause such damage when the vast majority are good, but it's the bad things that tend to stand out and leave the greatest impression, thus painting the whole in a negative light.

So I'm guessing that Alice told her father everything. And he's probably going to tell Jack. Don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I'm wondering about this new alien's connection to Cooper's race. Do Cooper's people fight against it and seek another way to save the universe? Do they jut stay out of each others way? Are they at war with each other? Question, questions.
moviefan-92 chapter 40 . 5/5
Uch, the dreaded Talk. I remember The Talk. Not a pleasant conversation. It's funny hearing/reading/seeing someone else get it, but when you have it done to you, or if you have to give it to someone else, it's about as uncomfortable as it can get.

I'm guessing that Joe's "infected" more because the alien really tried to make a connection with him while as opposed to Alice she just got the "natural" treatment from a normal touch. I'm wondering if Joe's initial "infection" allowed him to somewhat infect others he touched that he was emotionally close to (i.e. his friends) before his, uh, contagious stage was over, thus allowing them to catch images from time to time to. At least that's my theory for what you did.

I liked It Follows, but didn't think it was as great or as scary as it was made out to be (the old woman at the school scene really freaked me out though). The Conjuring was... ok I thought. I guess I can see where you got the inspiration from, but I didn't really make the connection until you pointed it out.

So, I'm guessing these invaders are either shapeshifting into their victims, or their using a type of telepathy to create illusions to make themselves look like their victims. Since Joe is seeing his mom, I'm guessing the latter. It also implies that they can read minds and are prone to disguising themselves as those that others care for to throw them off.
moviefan-92 chapter 39 . 5/5
I know the military/government is usually painted as the "bad guys" in movies regarding aliens, but I'm not entirely sure that's not accurate. And that goes for any government. While I don't think they're "evil" or completely corrupt, I also don't think they're not above doing shady or cruel things for the "greater good".
moviefan-92 chapter 38 . 5/5
Hehe, the Joe and Alice karate scene leading to kissing was so cliché. I mean that in a good way, it was cute. I took karate once during the summer. It's hard.

Poor Preston. I can understand his parents wanting the best for him, but having the best isn't always for the best. Being rich or successful doesn't mean anything if you're not happy. Even if you end up with a simple life with simple things, as long as you're getting by and happy, that's what's really important. I think too many people base success on the wrong type of things.
moviefan-92 chapter 37 . 5/5
I've been there, wanting to write certain scenes, but you still got a bunch of stuff to write before you get to those scenes. So annoying. Actually, that's how most of my writing works. I get ideas for the major events of the story and need to fill in the gaps. It can be rather difficult.

So did the Super Gang actually cause the "meteor" shower, or was that going to happen regardless?

I guess we know now why Todd is so angry at the world. A tough life like that can really make a person bitter. When you're miserable, you just want to make others miserable so you feel better about yourself. Like the saying goes, misery loves company. All the same, that's no excuse for him to be such a d*ck.

So Alice's mom isn't just a deserter, she's a lying cheating whore. I don't care what the circumstances are, there is absolutely no excuse for that whatsoever. Cheaters disgust me. At the very least she provided Alice a good lesson on how NOT to behave.

So Rachel knows all about the alien incident now, right? How involved with the subject is her father though? Is Rachel going to have to betray her friends at some point? Questions, questions.
moviefan-92 chapter 36 . 5/5
I can see the debate over the flee or take cover. While being out in the open allows you to try and get away from the danger or at least avoid it with all the extra room, it leaves you exposed and vulnerable. But while the bunker provides protection, you're trapped in a confined space, and there's always the chance it could collapse on you, or you could get trapped inside. I guess you wouldn't know for sure what you would do unless you were in the situation, but I think I'd go for the bunker.

Congrates on you qualifications.
moviefan-92 chapter 35 . 5/4
This chapter got a little confusing towards the end. I better reread it, maybe it'll make more sense a second time. One other thing, it sometimes gets confusing when you suddenly jump into Charles' movie scenes since I don't realize it is a movie scene until a little ways in, same thing for when it ends. Maybe providing some kind of indicator of some kind would help prevent that confusion. Just a suggestion.
moviefan-92 chapter 34 . 5/4
Ah, so I guess you did see Earth To Echo. Great movie. Not as good as Super 8, but still good. I recognized Mannequin Girl. I know it's not Emma due to the time period, but still. I also noted the similarities of the kids searching for the missing parts a couple chapters back too. Are you gonna do an Earth to Echo story too? That'd be cool; there's no enough of those. I'd write one myself (a Super 8 story too), but I've got no ideas.

I haven't played Persona, but I have just recently watched the anime (actually finished watching the last episode last week on the Anime Network). I recognized a few of the Japanese words you used too. Like "baka" means idiot. I recognized "desu" too, but I'm drawing a blank as to what it means. I'll remember later I'm sure.

Poor Cary. I would have expected (was hoping) he'd use those lethal looking chompers of his in a fight. It'd seem like the kind of thing he'd do, and those braces would make his bite even worse.

In regards to the horse vs duck, I think I'd rather fight the giant duck. I know the question was irrelevant based on Martin's breakdown, but still.
moviefan-92 chapter 33 . 5/4
It sounds like Joe is suffering a bit of PTS from his interrogation. I don't know much about it, but I know it can be bad.

I guess it would only make sense that there'd be pieces (cubes) of the alien's ship scattered around. If he'd recovered all of them, he wouldn't have needed all those other parts to rebuild his ship; unless some cubes were destroyed in the crash and he needed replacements.
moviefan-92 chapter 32 . 5/4
Yeah, those torture scenes were kind of... eeesh. I'm ok with a story being dark and angsty or having violence, but torture, that's something else. Had a torture scene in one of my own stories, and it was not pleasant to write.

I cracked up at Cary's casual "I set the building on fire" remark. That was so typical of him, and I can honestly hear him just saying it like that, like he's merely commenting on the weather. I can relate though. When I was a kid, even now, I liked to burn things. I wasn't a pyromaniac that went around setting fire and stuff, but if there was a bonfire or one in a fireplace or something, I loved burning things, paper, wood, leaves, garbage, etc.
moviefan-92 chapter 31 . 5/4
Geez, what a way to end a chapter. Don't know how they're going to get out of this. At the very least, they'd probably get expelled from school. Speaking of which, they seemed to be able to trespass around a military base a little TOO easily. Until they got caught of course. Can a quarter even be thrown hard enough to break a window I wonder?
moviefan-92 chapter 30 . 5/3
The scene with Joe and Alice in her room was cute. And expected. Wait, I didn't word that right. I guess what I mean is that I can see things progressing that way. Joe seems like the more... reserved type who wouldn't take the initiative too often (unless it's something important like when they rescued Alice), but once the "door is open" I guess you would say, then he'll walk through. I can also see Alice being the more aggressive one in the relationship and having Joe follow her lead, at least for a while until Joe gets more comfortable with things.

A school trip to a military base, huh? Lucky. Wish my school did class trips that interesting. Shouldn't have expected anything less of Cary, crazy kid. Still, it's unlikely that they'd find anything more than trouble. If they get caught though, it'll be big trouble considering their, er, circumstances.

Speaking of which, I meant to ask last chapter. Was something... more up with Donny. I get that he cleaned up his act, but he seemed kind of... off. Like military brainwashing off. Or was I just reading too much into things?