Reviews for Three Routes to Unemployment
Nattymctatty chapter 1 . 8/22/2015
I really enjoyed this. I would have loved to have seen Merlin promoted in the show!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/17/2014
Excellent writing. High quality.
cindy4651 chapter 1 . 7/28/2014
Nice.
Yuki082 chapter 1 . 7/13/2012
lovely.
thanks for writing!
Yuki
JoyfulWhispersInternet chapter 1 . 4/23/2012
well, duh! who would polish his Armour? shine his shoes? be tormented in target practice? him being a servant's just way too funny! ;D
takitaka chapter 1 . 3/31/2012
Oh, that was really nice! Not to mention something that I could really see happening, and see Arthur thinking about, in s4. Merlin feels more like an actual advisor than a servant and even though the fic is short, it shows Arthur's realization very well :)
WrittinInStone chapter 1 . 3/12/2012
Nice fic here.

Arthur does seem to have a hard time seeing Merlin for who he really is, not that Merlin's made that easy.
Whirlwind421 chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
I liked that! Great story! I especially liked the ending!
Tibbins chapter 1 . 1/7/2012
Very true. I can imagine this being part of an episode. It would be a very cute moment. Love it :D
flyingptarmigan chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
I love your characterization of their relationship. That is a good question - arthur really should promote merlin next season - to advisor would be good, but to court sorcerer even better :)
m chapter 1 . 12/30/2011
I know, Merlin still being his manservant is a bit of a mystery to me as well. However, I can think of a few reasons why ARTHUR might not have changed it.

1. It simply never crossed his mind. (I can totally see Arthur doing this. He's all about maintaining the status quo unless forced by an outside force (normally Merlin) to question it.)

2. Making Merlin his advisor might have obligations we're not aware of. Maybe the advisor's need a certain amount of education and it would require Merlin spending a lot of time getting up to speed. Or maybe whatever responsibilities come with being an advisor would supercede Arthur getting to spend as much time with Merlin as he pleased. (I can see Arthur, especially at the beginning before he really has his confidence with being king, wanting to keep Merlin close. Despite what he says, he knows that Merlin will tell him if he's seriously messing up.)

3. There's also the whole 'George situation'. If he gets rid of Merlin, he has to find a new manservant. Which in and of itself leads to a whole new can of worms. (Like many of the other reasons, this isn't exactly fair to Merlin, but then, Arthur is rarely concerned about how fair to Merlin he's being.)

4. And now, my personal favorite reason: if Merlin were his advisor, he wouldn't get to spend anywhere near as much time just talking to him. With as many responsibilities as Arthur has gained being king, it seems the only real down time he has is getting ready in the morning and getting ready for bed at night. And who is there talking to him informally about whatever happens to be on either of their minds at the time? That's right, Merlin. If Merlin were anything other than his manservant, it would be inappropriate for him to be in Arthur's chambers while he was getting ready for the day or for bed.

So, I think any or all of those reasons might be why he hasn't made Merlin an advisor yet and I'm a bit doubtful he will make Merlin one in the future for the same reasons. It's tremendously unfair to Merlin, but on the other hand, we've seen how everyone else treats him this past season: The trousers incident in the council chambers where noone did anything. The times when Merlin started giving orders and noone questioned them. The fact that Merlin is allowed to speak up whenever he feels like it including during council meetings if he so desires. These are not the actions of a manservant. (Not really the actions of an advisor either, to be honest.)

*shakes head* In any event, I quite liked your story, it made me think. And I appologize for the rant.
Diana Prallon chapter 1 . 12/29/2011
Yeah, it would sound weak to his own ears, after listening so long to his advices. Still, it's a route.
Mrs. Bonner chapter 1 . 12/28/2011
I love this one - it should be cannon!
Dawn that Shines chapter 1 . 12/28/2011
I would give an in-depth review. But I can't. Why? CAUSE YOU USED MY FAVORITE WORD! :D The story really is good. Clueless Arthur... ;)
Sydelle Rein chapter 1 . 12/28/2011
Yay! I love it when Arthur realizes Merlin's competence. :)

~Syd