Reviews for The Choice Made at White River
Marianne Bennet chapter 1 . 10/24/2013
I was looking for fics about White River to gather inspiration/ideas for my new chapter of Rebels (I just wanted to see what was out there) and I'm so pleased to have found yours! I love it. So much told in so little and a fascinating explanation for Rendon's personality shift.
Isolationistmagi chapter 1 . 3/8/2012
This piece evokes a strange emotion. I think it's... sympathy for Howe.
interesting2125 chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
Fun tale, with a nice contrast of bitter, complicated reality vs. dreams. The dream realms being what they are in DA lore, Howe following the shade may be more than symbolic, huh?

His is an interesting point of view, and there's certainly something to be said for developing the character.
Enaid Aderyn chapter 1 . 1/7/2012
Just brilliant. As always, the poetic beauty of your writing leaves me breathless. The opening scene is a reflection of unhappy Howe's spirit, starved and longing for good nourishment, but denied and opting for the harsher "truth."

"a man wearing a winged helm was groping at chinks in the wall, obstinately searching for a way past the stony barrier." Brilliant - and one wonders whether that barrier is in fact the one being built around Howe's soul.

To be honest, the implications of Theurge's appearance didn't register with me for the first several readings - I was interpreting it purely as metaphor for his self-doubts & insecurities turning in upon himself to fester & poison. Then the penny dropped and it makes all kinds of horrible sense and explains his turning to the horrific practices that he did.
Reyavie chapter 1 . 1/2/2012
I. Can't. Believe. You made me feel sorry for this man. Can't believe it. Only because of one small choice. It was beautifully written, it was amazing as always and it was heartbreaking in a lot of small many ways. We keep feeling sorry for that 'what could have been'. A lovely work.
ChampionTheWonderSnail chapter 1 . 12/30/2011
This story is so beautiful in so many ways...from the imagery to the inner thoughts and mental struggle young Howe makes. The glimpse of the person he could have been, but *chose* not to be makes him so much more despicable in his dealings with the Couslands, even if - in part - there was some kind of 'influence'.

And gorgeously description and immersive as always!
Ygrain33 chapter 1 . 12/29/2011
Ultimate Scrooge, LOL!

An interesting idea... but I still _hate_ being in Howe's head. Yet, had he chosen differently... Ferelden would have fallen, because the Warden wouldn't have been there. Funny, isn't it.