Reviews for Alexandra Quick and the Stars Above
JuliusMD chapter 39 . 12/18/2021
Thanks fo writing and the stars above. I think this is the first fanfiction I read were the protagonist gets kicked out of school.
JuliusMD chapter 9 . 12/15/2021
How ignorant can Alex be? She was just warned about conflict on Halloween. And what does she do? Set up a Duell on Halloween. Argh.
JuliusMD chapter 1 . 12/13/2021
I thought Alex would get together with Anna.
illjwamh chapter 39 . 6/26/2021
I don't know how I feel about this. I like stories with stakes and consequences, but at the same time, Alexandra's friends are a big part of what I like about her, and if she's not going to see them at school, I'm really going to miss them.
illjwamh chapter 37 . 6/26/2021
God dammit, Larry.
illjwamh chapter 27 . 6/25/2021
I never thought the phrase "You're a dog" could stir up so much emotion in me. I knew exactly what he meant as soon as he said it.
illjwamh chapter 25 . 6/24/2021
Didn't see THAT one coming.
illjwamh chapter 18 . 6/24/2021
That was really fun. I always like when characters have to use wit and guile rather than power and skill, and Alexandra handled this excellently.

I'm also really interested to see what she does with those boots.
Guest chapter 39 . 4/26/2021
and another nother thing

curious, given Naming, Troublesome etc. if with the triple sisters if there is something going on there with say all the triple female deities and furies and so on. Like are they pseudo-reincarnated/Stars Above'd forms like Alex is for Troublesome. And given Thorn and Alex dealing with Powers etc. or if they're just sisters...
Guest chapter 39 . 4/26/2021
oh, and another thing

Mother didn't bother me at all. I guess it got spoiled for me, but 'my mother is a cat' is not an issue for me anymore than McGonagall/my Head of House is a cat. Obviously its strange, but given her state it probably does make most sense to have her close at hand and in comfort and relative to all else may be the best that can be made out of a shitty situation. So not an issue for me.

Also I really don't see Claudia or Archie as shitty parents, quite the reverse. Emotional distance not withstanding.
back chapter 39 . 4/26/2021
Contrary to bitching, I generally love series. Hard to pinpoint what I like about it when its most of it.
Indian Territories were the best part by a mile, excited to see Alex explore/encounter more of the wizarding world.

Feedback
Larry not taking heed of Alex feels like holding idiot ball for plot.
Also Alex /not/ agreeing to Parliament of Stars felt to me sort of against her M.O. As in I felt like she just takes the plunge without thinking ahead, and to get three answers to /any/ questions it didn't quite feel in character to me (despite her also being stubborn etc.).

I think I would have enjoyed the ending more if, for once, she didn't bring the problem about, but it happens anyway and she gets expelled anyway. ex. Alex and everyone else gets caught off by angry spirits/attack, but where teachers are dealing with general attack (dark wizards, crows, spirits) she has the revelation about the dark convention in Indian Territories and /knowing/ it was John, only to be led into trap in basement/Nemesis etc.

Though the 'loss' of the coin Thorn gave her didn't really have any weight to it for me as I don't know the cost of it (either what paid for it, or what it may cost her not having it in the future).

Also curious about Mary Dearborn and who else is after her (specifically if we've ever met them, or just some part of Circle/Convention that wants to bring about prophecy).

Excited that Alex is expelled, Charmbridge generally was one of the weaker aspects for me.

So despite all my negativity its sort of like nitpicking in fandoms you love. I rarely write any review at all, so despite what it may appear, you really are doing an excellent job.
frustrated chapter 10 . 4/23/2021
TBH I got angry, and stopped reading for a bit. You may not want to read, but here's my thoughts and feedback.

I wasn't put off by Alex at all at the start, but she finally got to me. Her flaws have seemingly become permanent traits, and I don't think this is a good thing in any respect.

Now traits are necessary, permanent traits, which a protagonist will always have are good. They aren't flaws to be overcome, just part of who they are. Even so such traits can nonetheless mature and be honed. Recklessness and bravery are kissing cousins, stubbornness depending on how its employed etc.

And Flaws are also fine to have. However, to a protagonist and plot they have a relationship. Some to simply make the character real, and typically not overcome. If they are permanent then they need to be lesser flaws greatly overshadowed by greater virtues, or virtue flaws (like too kind, forgiving, selfless etc.) and even these can reach a breaking point. Another sort of permanent flaw might be a 'visible' emotional/behavioural scar, a sign that they are damaged goods. Typically we understand they've had a very hard life in a very harsh environment such that we can't be too harsh a judge. Also, we still root for them because they're set against by evil or doing some good. Generally they are older, and crucially it means in effect they've already lived out a full tragedy.

Which brings me to the last point.

If the protagonists flaws are dominant two paths remain. One is a tragedy, the protagonist does not learn from their mistakes and flaws. Maybe that's what you're going for, but I doubt it. Or maybe you're writing a story where the protagonist is no a hero and is only another Governor-General Hucksteen or Abraham Thorm in the making and it's all a very clever subverting of the idea of hero and protagonist. Again I doubt it, and I wouldn't want to read that. So then I'm left with one option.

The protagonist is unable to learn, and is therefore stupid. Immaturity and realism it might be said, but a story is life condensed and exaggerated. And if in touching a hot iron burns her and she does it again and again and again and again and again... without ever learning! That isn't real either. And it has become intolerable.

The loss, and finally accepting the loss, of Max, as well as her foolish attempts and consequences was the perfect time to transition into her actually learning something. Instead she does illegal magic and gets in trouble, again, and could have died, and the muggles who have been suffered magic at her hands never learn either, she breaks curfews, and agrees to a duel stupidly right after signs are read... and she had earlier made a pronouncement she was buckling down to learn to be a great wizard... and then she's completely uninterested in the Astrology and unbelieving that there might be something to learn, and then when I wanted to push ahead she suffers consequence of the cursed mail (which on its own was quite well done, btw). But I had to stop, maybe I will go on, but I'm just not sure what I'm reading matters. I seriously doubt almost dying, again, matters one iota. maybe its the formula 'kid, don't do that thing' /kid does thing/. But something's wrong. she doesn't learn. she doesn't grow. she doesn't change. she's not an idiot, she's not human. she's /less/ real because of her flaws.
Indecisive.Undecided chapter 31 . 10/10/2020
I sort of shipped Alex with Larry though
Guest chapter 39 . 7/15/2020
I hate how they always use her as a scapegoat for their incompetence, if they actually involved her in their plans I'm sure things would have turned out right, moreover it was Larry that drew the nemesis.
Shinta chapter 39 . 7/7/2020
The world building in this story is better than before. Sadly, Alex had to leave Cambridge Academy and lose her wand.