Reviews for Ceremony
LittleMissAbigail chapter 1 . 10/3/2013
I know this was a bit out of order but curiosity got the better of me. :)
Richiey chapter 1 . 9/15/2013
Amazing!
littlesmith chapter 1 . 6/25/2013
fantastic
emsaduem chapter 1 . 6/11/2013
Enjoying your work highly. Where do you get these Vulcan words/instruments/ and food? Is it from the original series? Did I miss something in the movies?
Hyper Maiden chapter 1 . 6/10/2013
This is absolutely lovely! Such a perfect story that really shows their love for each other.
nicew chapter 1 . 3/26/2013
This was the meeting Amanda and Nyota should have had. The two of them would have found such comfort in one another. And I think it might have solidified Spock and Serek's relationship too.
candicane26 chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
Oh wow :'( this really illustrated the loss felt by Spock. Wonderful writing.
LisaShare chapter 1 . 8/31/2012
Again, I am speechless. grief is so hard to capture unless one has experienced it, and even harder to understand. I understand this grief. Thank you, for putting words to the feelings so honestly.
Dina C chapter 1 . 8/14/2012
Beautifully written. Thanks for all the time and energy you spent on this, and for sharing your talent with us readers. :-)
WeAreIslands chapter 1 . 5/29/2012
Touching and lyrical. It feels very real to me. My heart aches for both especially him in the dream scene with Amanda :( he didn't get the chance to introduce Nyota to her it's sad but at the same time the dream is so sweet because in his own unique way he's sharing himself with her making her see his home it's a precious gift from him.
renaid chapter 1 . 5/5/2012
This was beautiful - a true representation of the process of healing and honestly sharing hurt and comforting one another. You did a beautiful job with it.
startraveller776 chapter 1 . 1/10/2012
Beautiful, beautiful story. I nearly cried seeing Amanda again-for some reason, the briefer, earlier vision of her sharing a pot of tea with Sarek wicked my breath away.

Lovely writing as always. I'm so glad you write for this fandom! Ha! :)
fanficfan71 chapter 1 . 1/7/2012
Beautifully written, thanks for sharing.
OlivineDreams06 chapter 1 . 1/5/2012
Thanks to SG1SamFan you have me as another fan of your work.

The story itself is very good and filled with so much detail. The thing that's most noticeable, and the main reason I love this story, is the emotion that you've conveyed between Spock & Nyota. It's not often that I'm drawn into a story, but you've certainly succeeded here.

Thank you for writing such a beautiful story.
SG1SamFan chapter 1 . 1/3/2012
As usual, I'll just tell you what I loved most and a couple moments that didn't work for me. :-)

They'd all lost many friends—much of the senior class, gone in less time than it took to call out their names at the memorial.

This line was like a sucker-punch.

his hands tucked behind his back, his head canted slightly toward her, the way he usually signaled both his interest in and his care for her.

Spot-on! How do you do this? Do you have an especially good memory for character movements, or have you seen this film and TOS about a million times? :-)

"Perhaps I misspoke," he said, and she pursed her lips, not quite mollified.

...

She sensed that he was pulling away, and almost impulsively, she blurted out, "You could teach me."

...

There it was again, that wall that she bumped into when she least expected it, a reminder that Vulcans and humans were aliens to each other, that their ways of seeing the world, of approaching it, diverged and left them on opposite sides of the road.

"Because I can't learn the Vulcan way?" she said, frowning.

"Because I am still a learner," he said.

And just like that, the wall parted and she found her way to him again.

This moment was particularly beautiful - it's own little crescendo and warm decrescendo. Your rhythm is gorgeous.

His emotional distance had been both understandable and painful. With a gentleness that would have surprised the people who had known her when she was younger, she offered him quiet and comfort, a refuge in her company, in her bed, and a resolve to ask little until he was ready. In short, a kind of patience that was new for her—that taxed her, too, and made her feel old.

This so perfectly matches her expression in the film when she nods sadly like a bobblehead in the turbolift - you know the moment.

Do you want me to leave? she asked wordlessly, and she felt him drawing her closer. An image of her cabin—her bunk!—flashed through her mind and she knew he had given up trying to meditate this evening.

I like this, but the exclamation mark was odd - what did you mean by using it? It seemed to imply surprise or excitement, but neither of those fit the moment.

For several minutes she busied herself with answering messages from home—a note from her mother about a job opening as a Starfleet Academy recruiter stationed on Earth—a not-so-subtle hint that rankled her.

Oh, meddlesome mothers. Ugh... Love can be annoying sometimes, even though it's wonderful.

All too well she knew what Spock thought he needed to atone for.

Taking a breath, she said, "It wasn't your fault. You did everything you could."

He inclined his head a fraction—not because he agreed with her, but to signal that he had heard.

Again - this moment is spot-on, character-wise.

except for the three Galadrians who were so shy and retiring that they rarely ventured beyond the computer engineering deck where they worked as a triad programmer.

I'm not sure what this means, but I love it. It adds such richness to your world.

"No thanks," she said, showing him the opened bottle of Davarian beer she was sipping. "I don't eat or drink anything that's a color that doesn't appear in nature."

Hmmm. A bit Terran-centric of her. I don't like this bit.

The taste was sharp, putrid, musty. She bit down and tried to swallow, and then giving up, lifted her paper napkin to her mouth and spit it out. From the corner of her eye she saw Spock look up briefly from his ka'athyra, a definite note of amusement in his expression.

"I warned you," Kirk said.

"Ugh," she said. "What is that? Who brought it?"

"You gave up your chance to find out what it is," Kirk said, "and I'm the one who brought it. Old family recipe, but definitely an acquired taste."

Haha! Very Nu!Kirk. I adore this. :-)

"I want to thank you," he said, "for making this such a festive ceilidh. Speaking for myself, I needed it."

Love your use of Gaelic. :-) It made me feel warm inside.

"So I'd like to propose a toast," he said, "to absent friends."

All around the room, people held whatever they had in their hands up high.

"To absent friends," Jim Kirk called out from the middle of the floor, and someone—McCoy, most likely—said, "Here, here!"

Have you ever seen Babylon 5? This moment brought tears to my eyes not only because it's lovely but because it reminded me of a moment from the series finale of B5.

Under her hand she felt Rand bob her head and lower her fingers from her face.

"I'm sorry, Commander," she said through breathy hiccups, "it's just that—the song made me think about—and I know you lost everything and I shouldn't feel sorry for myself—but, I can't stop thinking about them, all my friends—I feel so selfish when I see how you keep on going—"

The lift doors opened and Spock walked out without looking back.

"I'm sorry," Rand said to Nyota, her eyes bleary with tears. "Please tell him I'm sorry. I hope I didn't upset him."

Nodding, Nyota hurried out.

I really loved this moment. The tears returned.

"Another time would be preferable," he said, moving to the small table where he kept his asenoi—the irregular clay firepot deliberately imperfect, the marks of the potter's fingers like slubs around the rim.

YAY! The firepot from WWTWK. LOVE.

He did something then that was so uncharacteristic that Nyota was caught up short.

Running his fingers across his brow, Spock sighed.

"Nyota," he said, not looking at her. When he said nothing more, she crossed the distance between them in three steps and cupped his face in her hands.

"Listen to me," she said, and he shifted his gaze to hers. "You're blocking me out. You don't have to do this alone."

Something altered in his expression, like a cloud racing before the sun.

"I am reluctant to impose this on you," he said, and she pulled his face to hers until their foreheads were touching. There it was again, the buzz of connection, the tingle that meant they were tied by something more than a look, a word.

Lovely characterization here.

In the distance she heard voices—and a woman's laughter like a punctuation mark in the conversation.

Why are you so perfect? :-D How do you think of such similes.

With an effort, she opened her eyes. Spock's warm breath was on her neck, her arms still twined around his waist. He was watching her, beads of sweat on his brow, his eyes so dilated that they looked black, his arousal obvious, her own making her pant.

"Do you want me to leave?" she managed to say at last.

"No," he answered, his voice raspy, as if they really had traveled through a desert.

Which in a way they had, she thought later.

This part is both hot and moving.

countless pundits limning the effects on the current state of xenophobia on Earth.

And I learn a new word! :-)

Once a Rigellian sloop asked permission to pass five hundred meters to their starboard bow, and afterwards Nyota thought wryly that if she had to spend her career saying little more than "We're being hailed," she would lose her sanity.

Hehe. Canon reference. Love it.

"Did you get some dinner?" she asked, but she already knew the answer. She still asked questions like this from habit or reflex. He didn't seem to mind.

I like that you note he doesn't mind.

Once, Spock had walked her through the garden pointing out different varieties, his voice hitching slightly when he brushed his hand over a low cluster of yellow and orange peppers like the ones his mother had grown in thick clay pots on their veranda.

Another beautiful moment that I wouldn't have thought to include.

Come, he said, and she set aside her own thoughts and followed him down, down, leaving Vulcan behind, floating and looking at the stars around her, shivering in the cold of space, astonished that instead of emptiness and distance she felt the myriad civilizations on the planets near and far—heard the electric crackle of nebulas—watched as sentient clouds of dust creatures flittered by— fascinating—

I love your aliens!

As if someone had flipped a switch, she was suddenly in the middle of a maelstrom of sand and dust, her feet almost skittering out beneath her. The howl of the wind, the rumble of the boulders tumbling around her, the smell of sulfur and ozone—and Amanda, standing on the precipice, her eyes wide with undisguised shock as she tumbled backward—

Gah. :-( Amanda!

And you, she said, looking squarely at Nyota. I've wanted to meet you for so long. I know you are taking good care of each other.

I full-on cried at this one. Had it lasted about three seconds longer I'd have been spilling plenty of tears.

"Your face is wet," Spock said, running his fingertip down her cheek.

...like Nyota.

And Spock's phrasing is just right here. He doesn't find it natural to call it "crying."

She wasn't entirely sure if that was her thought or Spock's. It didn't matter.

And I really believe her. In some stories this theme freaks me out, but their connection here - supporting each other as a pair, a team - is so beautiful I can't be upset by her accepting it.

Thank you for something so lovely I didn't want it to end.

WWTWK is still my favorite, but each time I see something new from you in my inbox, I know it will be lovely.

I shared this with a random internet friend. :-) I'll encourage him to drop you a review if he reads it.

What a lovely gift!